What is so special about running???

Options

Replies

• donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

There are people who get the "runner's high," which I've never had...I just get boredom. You don't have to run to be fit, you can get the same benefits by lifting weights....excuse me, lifting heavy weights.

I'm sorry but heavy weights will not give the same benefits to the cardiovascular system as running. Lifting heavy weights has it's benefits yes, but they should not be confused with the benefits achieved with running.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    easy to do with little or no equipment

This. Some of us can't afford a gym or fancy exercise equipment, so running is the best option.

P.S.

I do barefoot running and, though I was sore as hell for the first few weeks (take slow if you're going to try this), I've never gotten an injury and I rarely have any sort of foot or leg pain anymore, even when I'm on my feet for almost eight hours straight at work.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was a complete non runner and was mainly doing the cross trainer at the gym, since I have started running it has toned my overall body so much more than the gym did. My legs, bum, stomach and back have all lost inches from running! x
  • emmas71
    emmas71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definately-zombie factor a HUGE factor LOL

I have NEVER ever considered myself a runner and when I first started "jogging" I could barely lift my feet of the ground, instead perfecting a shuffle. I am now running and loving it, particulary early evening / mornings when its cooler and calm and if its drizzling even better.
  • robdowns
    robdowns Posts: 9
    Options
    I run allot and all I would say is always warm up and stretch especially the Iliotibial Band.
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is nothing particularly special about running as a form of exercise. In moderation is can improve metabolic efficiency body-wide and generally improve health in sedentary individuals. However, strength training is far superior with many more advantages than steady-state aerobic activity. For example, only anaerobic exercise offers all of the following benefits.

• Stronger bones & increased mineral density
    • Stronger body & musculature
    • More robust organ and systemic fitness
    • Improved cardio-vascular function (better than "cardio")
    • Higher basal metabolic rate (50 cal/day/pound of muscle)
    • Healthier immune system
    • Easier fat loss
    • Increased energy and efficiency
    • Improved physical appearance
    • Slows natural loss of muscle mass over age 30

There is a potentially significant down-side to running too much. For example, check the following execerpt from this book --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18

"The scientific literature is filled with data that strongly make the case that long distance runners are much more likely to develop cardio-vascular disease, atrial fibrillation, cancer, liver and gallbladder disorders, muscle damage, kidney dysfunction (renal abnormalities), acute microthrombosis in the vascular system, brain damage, spinal degeneration, and germ-cell cancers than are their less active counterparts."

Each assertion is footnoted. They're making the point that most people have "cardio" all wrong and don't really understand how to train to be fit. The book explains why running is so incorrectly associated with cardio-vascular fitness and positive health benefits when it does little to build the systemic and organic fitness which can only be provided by increasing lean muscle mass. It's a "must read" for all trainers.

Good luck and good health!!

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are so many events to take part in, from free Parkrun 5ks to the Marathon de Sables. I find having a race/event to train for keeps my motivation high.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I just decided that as an adult male, a father, and husband, I should be able to at the very least run a mile, now I can, and I will continue adding to that base :happy:
  • leighanne1941
    leighanne1941 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    After 12 years of off and on trying to become a runner it finally clicked when I trained for a marathon. I realized that I am tight for the first 4-5 kms and then it all starts coming together. My 20km runs were by far my favorite. I would finish feeling strong and confident and definitely had the runner's high.

I didn't lose any weight during that training but I'm still at it and still loving it.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Me, I've been able to get rid of a lot of my asthma, although I still have it, I don't get it as often. It's time I can have with my children uninterrupted by homely duties, just me with kids and bikes. We get to see lots of wonderful things as well on our journey's.

And I'm losing weight while doing it. A lot of my reason for not wanting to go to the gym was because I felt guilty leaving my children and felt that I was being selfish, now I don't have to feel selfish and I can do it everyday. LOVE IT!

Each to their own though, find something you love and do that if you stick to something you don't really like you won't want to do it long term
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    To me.. Nothing. Running sucks.. Plain and simple.

You can get the exact same results by walking that you can by running... which is why I don't force myself to do it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    driving home today I saw a whole heap of people running in the rain. I just thought "I hope they're actually training for some running event or something!" Otherwise, go do some other sort of exercise!
  • killerkat89
    killerkat89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It makes me high. I love it. I feel strong and fit and powerful.

But that's me. If you're not enjoying it (and I know you've had injuries from it) why are you continuing to do it? Find an exercise you ENJOY!
    I persevered because people including my physio told me I couldn't and that maybe running wasn't for me. I may not be in love with running to the extent I am with other things, but I do love proving people wrong who said I couldn't do it!

I was told by a Physical Therapist that i wasnt a runner. I have ran on and off for the past 7 or so years. Started with cross country in middle school, now i have to be able to run to do my job (Im in the Army) so when they told me i'm not a runner i proved them wrong and started running again. At first i was slower then slow. But they even noticed a difference, showed them that there wasnt really anything wrong i just needed more exercise, and they had been limiting it. So after some acupuncture and running, im good to go. Now i am working on distance and speed.. Running is my stress relief. I dont know what i would do without it.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I feel amazing from head to toe after a good run. Its also probably the most convenient way to elevate your heart rate to the highest intensity levels over other types of exercise. And then there is the competitive aspect of it, where its convenient to sign up for races and challenge yourself.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but heavy weights will not give the same benefits to the cardiovascular system as running. Lifting heavy weights has it's benefits yes, but they should not be confused with the benefits achieved with running.

Not the SAME benefits, but benefits nonetheless. Lifting heavy, believe it or not, will help your VO2 uptake, and the additional power in your legs from squatting and deadlifting regularly helps more than you might imagine if you found yourself NEEDING to run.

WARNING! ANECTDOTAL EVIDENCE INCOMING

In my personal experience, I went just under a year without doing any form of running (I really don't like it, but certain running events hold an appeal for me so I do it occasionally anyway) and doing only heavy lifting. A month ago, I got on the treadmill just for lulz and completed 5k in a pace that would have had me at 185 bpm last time I did it. This run had me averaging 155. I could have kept it up for another 5k, no problem.

Obviously, these results may not be the same for everyone, but I know for a fact that my stride feels much more powerful when I run now, and hills and such are not nearly as daunting.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    To me.. Nothing. Running sucks.. Plain and simple.

You can get the exact same results by walking that you can by running... which is why I don't force myself to do it.

well come on...you can't get the "exact same results" from walking as running. From a time angle, running is more efficient for weight loss and cardiovascular benefit. Walking is excellent exercise, but its not as beneficial as running. Running "sucks" for some I guess....but when those endorphins get released, it doesnt suck at all.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but do like the thought of it because A) It's free B) It burns a lot of calories and tones you up well C) Just getting out and about, wind in hair music in ears.

I'm put off it because A) The burning feeling in my chest when I have tried to run and B) Having a 180lb woman running towards you has got to be more scary than zombies.

Ha at least I thought of more positives. Perhaps I'll give it a go one day.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Running will challenge you more than any other exercise and you will meet some really cool people.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    From a time angle, running is more efficient for weight loss and cardiovascular benefit. Walking is excellent exercise, but its not as beneficial as running.

That actually depends a lot on your diet. Running is going to tap into carbs for most people. If you are working a carb-restricted diet, and ESPECIALLY if you are on an IF diet, walking will actually be better for burning body fat stores.

Now, obviously running is better for cardiovascular fitness; just not necessarily for weight loss. And when I think about valuable running for cardio fitness, it's not miles and miles of trotting. It's sprint circuits and HIIT.
  • PinkLinda
    PinkLinda Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    running...not my favorite...but I'll do a 5K just for the event and to keep me going. I had arthroscopic (sp?) surgery on my knee and ever since then hurts (yes, dont' get the scope) For me it is a part of a total program. I prefer to bike or swim, so yes I did IronGirl. I enjoy every Thanksgiving morning getting up and doing the local 5K Turkey Trot, makes for a great start to the day. I do the other events for just because.

Those who only run, in the long term do more harm to the body although some diehards will say 'i'm fine' but knee issues are a problem. strength training with weights is important.

some people it is easy and others just not.....i'm sort've in between, as I will do a 5K not interested in half marathon -- and those who are that is great for them. I do find it peaceful to run outside - I use no headphones as I'd rather hear the sounds of nature and have my conversation with God.