What is so special about running???

Options

Replies

• lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love that I just quit making all of the excuses and just did it! ( I can find any research to support my lazy habits be it exercise or eating to justify my all of my excuses.) I started running last year just to get my heart rate up in small sprints. I have to agree with the 'high' afterward is totally addictive. That time is just for me and is a huge stress reliever. I look better, feel better, sleep SO much better and can eat more food! My longest run is 9 miles, and I will run my first half this spring:)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    easy to do with little or no equipment
    enjoyable (for some)
    real-world applications; e.g., running from zombies, running from police

Hahaha. Or, in my case, running after your children. Those little guys are fast.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I have a motto: "If it's not fun, I'm not doing it." Pretty simple, really. The truth is, if you're only running to piss somebody else off, or because you're told it's good for you, or whatever, and NOT because you like it, you'll stop. Working out needs to be something you enjoy. It's the only way you'll make it a life habit. Pretty simple.

With that said, I love running. Love it! I also enjoy cycling, swimming, and although not as much, lifting weights. I've found that if I mix all these activities through the week, it makes it even MORE enjoyable, as I don't burn out on any single type of workout.

My advice is, find what you like. If you seriously just don't "get" running, then what do you "get"? Try cycling. It's less injury prone, you get to go really fast, and it can be a real hoot getting out on the trails. Try swimming. Very low impact, excellent full body workout, and there's always a shower nearby so you don't have to go home all stinky and sweaty. Try cardio classes at your local gym. A positive setting, motivating instructor, and supportive people in class. How about kettle bell? LOTS of fun, great workout, combines aerobic and anaerobic.

In short, find what you like, and own it. Then, when somebody posts, "What's so special about
    ???", you can reply, "Oh let me just tell you..."
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love to run! Fresh air, no cost, social/can do it with friends, can run at any time/as far as I want/as fast as I want, burns calories, tones my body, reduces anxiety/stress, and makes me feel so good!

^^^This is also true for me!^
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

There are people who get the "runner's high," which I've never had...I just get boredom. You don't have to run to be fit, you can get the same benefits by lifting weights....excuse me, lifting heavy weights.

You're never going to get the cardio benefits of running from lifting heavy weights. My husband can bench in excess of 500 pounds -- so really damn heavy -- I can run much further than he ever could.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    +1 for the Zombie escape.

I couldn't run, honestly 20 yards and I would be tasting blood, I could cycle for miles & miles and wasn't too bad at swimming, so I got the notion to do a try-athlon (mini triathlon) before my next birthday. This meant I had to be able to run 5k, having already swam & cycled so I embarked upon the C25K programme and it has been fantastic for me. I'm in week 8 now so next week will be the full 5k distance and I'm looking forward to hitting that milestone. The running has greatly helped my overall fitness level, helped with the weight loss and I have actually started to enjoy it too (who knew?)
    The trick to staying injury free, like in most exercise, is to ease into and build slowly, listen to what your body is telling you and ease off & rest if you need to.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    The rhythm of a run is amazine...it calms the body and the mind.

I used to hate running. Nearly 6 years ago I fell in love with cycling. Again, I think it's the rhythm of repetitive exercise. A few years back I noticed cycling doesn't tax my body at all anymore--and, quite frankly, I like the soreness that follows a good workout--so I decided to try running.

While it is much more difficult for me than cycling is, I always feel good after a run. Even a bad run. And isn't that what it's all about?
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I never used to be able to run, I hated it and just thought i would never be able to do it.

I decided to give it a real go and over time i was amazed by my progress. I really enjoy running now (Never thought i would ever say that) and my fitness has improved GREATLY!

I have found that it's really rewarding reaching my set targets and losing inches in the process!

:happy:
  • sarahbagley
    sarahbagley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly the run that is special. It's the feeling that you get afterwards. I have such a better outlook on everything when I have finished up a run. It is refreshing to my mind and body. I'm not saying that I am excited to put on my running shoes daily and get out there, but I always know that I will feel WAY better if I do :)
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me, personally:

1) It is my zen. It creates a mental place (even though ironically the location is constantly changing!) for me to clear my mind. I do my best thinking when I run.

2) It makes me feel strong. I definitely get a major runner's high rush of endorphins.

3) It helps me in all of my other physical pursuits. I never run out of breath playing with my kids, leaping up the steps at work, picking up the impromptu game of tennis, throwing the football with my son, etc.

4) It shreds my abs. My stomach, aside from that pesky c-section scar, is flat and toned from running.

5) It allows me to eat so many more calories on days that I run! It is a calorie killer.

:smile:
  • Ha_1D_JB
    Ha_1D_JB Posts: 1
    Options
    haha I love this example: running from zombies.. ;D
    I like running but I get tired very fast, when I run in a treadmill I can during longer, but when I try to run in the street I get tired very very very fast. I don't understand why, and also when I run in a treadmill I always run at the same speed, when I run in the street I run fast in the beginning then I find it more difficult as I progress. Actually, one of the reasons why I get tired is because I have anemia but I'm taking my medication now, I hope it'll get better, I love running, and I love the feeling I have after running :)
  • kcantella
    Options
    your answer about running from zombies just cracked me up! thanks for the smile!
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hate running, I believe its only useful (for ME) if I am running away from danger.. other than that its my enemy.. I get my cardio by doing Plyometrics and I do HIIT on my elliptical which only takes me about 20 minutes to do.. It works for me and yes I can run a 5k if I choose to but then again, why would I?..
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It runs after those nasty hobbitses that stole the precious!!
  • CauseyMac
    CauseyMac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    real-world applications; e.g., running from zombies, running from police

LOL!!
  • TigersLions
    Options
    I was at the doctor for a checkup and they took my blood pressure and the nurse asked me if I was a "runner". Never being 100% on anything, I wishy washy told her I had started last April but don't run that fast, or marathons, etc. She told me she could tell because my heart beat was so strong. My first goal in exercising was to keep my heart strong and exercised so mission accomplished!

It also burns off stress and helps me to sleep.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20s, I walked. A few miles a couple times a week was all I needed. Then I got married, had one son, dealt with infertility, had my second son, and was the biggest I had ever been. A year and a half ago, I discovered the Couch -5k program, and it was amazing. As soon as I started, I noticed I was losing inches. I lost 3 sizes in my pants, and 2 sizes in the band size of my bras. And I only made it to week 7! I made a lot of excuses and stopped running pretty much altogether, the inches started creeping back. Now I'm back to working out every day with my Treadclimber and Wii fit and running whenever I can. I'm slow, but I don't care. I breathe very loudly, but I don't care. I get red in the face, but each time I run I feel stronger and more in control, even if it's just 8 minutes at a time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bump to answer when I get to work
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    driving home today I saw a whole heap of people running in the rain. I just thought "I hope they're actually training for some running event or something!" Otherwise, go do some other sort of exercise!

I've been running in the pouring rain and snow, and I'm not training for anything in particular......... Running in the rain is ace :love:
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Zombieland: rule no 1 Cardio. :tongue:

Haha! The best!