Parents: how do you talk to your kids about weight issues?

Options
13»

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Well in my area you don't have to.

The school nurse makes the kid's weigh in weekly and have monthly doctor's appointments. Big Brother, much?
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Try to relax and just lead by example. Children learn what they lives. I remember my mother (now 75) talking about how healthy is was to have lots of different colors on our plate, and about how baked and grilled was healthier than fried and breaded. She talked about the fantastic vitamins in different foods and how they helped our hair grown long and our eyes see better. She taught us how to cook health dishes and we were so excited to be her little helpers in the kitchen. She even bought each of us kids our own set of measuring cups & measuring spoons, a spatula, etc. and put them in our own little basket, with a hand made apron. Her and my dad went for a walk every night with the neighbor couple about 9:00 p.m. and I remember my mom going to an excercise class after work back in the 70s. I naturally picked up those habits and taught them to all my kids, who are all health conscious. One is in college studing to be a trainer, one goes to the gym five days a week and the other is always experimenting to make recipes healthier.

Don't have junk food in the house. Snacks are either raw veggies, fruit or yogurt, or a special treat on Saturday night like fudge cycles or sherbet. At meals, we allow ourself unlimited veggies if we are not full, but no second helpings of meat and potatoes/pasta/bread, so we never feel like we are leaving the table hungry. I didn't buy juice, as I thought an apple or an orange sliced up was more filling and healthier that a cup of juice. We have always been water drinkers, and soda was a special treat with popcorn and a movie on the weekend. And we opted to eat at home so we could take a family vacation each year instead of the fast food Happy Meals. Meals out were (and still are for hubby and me) a special treat.

Hope this helps! I know raising kids is alot of work, but it really pays off. :wink:

This is what I do!

Great advice!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to work with the kids at the young age when you can have better control over what they eat. My kids are all older, high school and college, and by this time our control is limited. I would suggest:
    1) Keep junk food out of the house. I know people say that a little bit is OK, and that's true, but little kids don't understand that, so if it's not there, they won't eat it. Besides, they will get some at friends' houses, birthday parties, etc. so eliminate it on a daily basis.
    2) Only water with meals, no soda or other sugary stuff. See item #1 about moderation.
    3) Set a good example
    4) Get them involved in physical activities. It may take several tries to find one they love, but if you do and can establish the habit of exercise early, do it.
    5) Look for other opportunities for physical activity, park on the far side of the parking lot and walk across instead of hunting for that close spot, take stairs when out instead of elevators,etc. This also sets a good example

I wish we had done a better job of these when they were little. Now the percentage of food they eat out of our control is high, and being teenagers they know everything and we have become stupid so they don't listen to advice on topics like this.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump! very interesting thread!

I have an 11 year old... who does enjoy too much junk... especially when he is at his fathers...
    but he also does make healthy choices... loves his brocolli and cauliflower... raw with a (very little bit of dip)

he is 5'2 1/2 and 105 lbs Doc says right where he should be...

but we must keep things under control...
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well in my area you don't have to.

The school nurse makes the kid's weigh in weekly and have monthly doctor's appointments. Big Brother, much?

Where in the world do you live??? No offense but I want to be sure to stay away from that place!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I haven't really talked to my son about his weight, he knows he's "chubby" but he's only 7 yrs old too, I take him grocery shopping with me and I let him make some choices on what he'd like for his lunches and snacks. I now see that he's been paying attention to what I eat and he knows what's good and not good...instead of a Cheez Whiz sandwich, he'll want a cucumber sandwich. He picked out blueberries, strawberries and blackberries. He chooses to have multigrain chips with salsa instead of potato chips and dip:) I think leading by example is much more successful, at that age anyways! He still gets a treat once in awhile, but we all need that!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Serve healthy food in your home and make good restaurant choices while dining out. Do family exercise and make it fun. Go fly a kite, go geocaching, do a walk in a park, a scavenger hunt, Wii games if you have it, etc. DO NOT nag her about being fat, overweight, telling her she (or you) can't have stuff because you are fat or she's fat! Just dont have the crap in the house to begin with. Nagging your child will just make her stress out and eat more and possibly start eating behind your back. Let her know that you love her unconditionally and PRAISE, praise praise her when she does make healthy choices. Trust me, I have been there as a child and as a mother. As parents all we can do is make sure we give them healthy choices at home, the opportunity to exercise, etc. but ultimately the kids have to make their own decisions. If you don't know how to help her (without her knowing it), have a consult with a nutritionist or her Dr. Stressing over it will just make it worse for everyone. I know how hard this is.. it's stressful seeing your child in an unhealthy state but you can do things to help. Just don't ruin her self-esteem by talking about it too much. Good luck and God bless you for caring about her so much. Some parents don't. <hugs>
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is a spin-off from the apparently endless DisneyWorld exhibit thread. :laugh:

Parents, I would like your tips on how you talk to your kids about making healthy food choices (easy) and what happens if they don't (not so easy).

I have a preschool son and daughter. My son is super picky and very thin. My daughter loves food of all kinds and has a big tummy. She is higher on the charts for weight than for height, and her pediatrician said if the pattern continues, we will need to intervene. Well, I have already intervened by making sure she gets more exercise. And we talk a lot about what foods are healthy, everyday foods and what foods are "sometimes" foods. I've talked about why we want to eat healthy foods, to make our bodies healthy. But up until recently, I hadn't really connected the dots for her that overeating or eating unhealthy foods makes you fat.

Tonight she was competing with her brother about who had the biggest tummy after dinner, and it was her. I said, "Well, having a big tummy isn't always a good thing." When she wanted candy after dinner, I said no and commented that I would like candy too but I wasn't going to have any because I felt I already had too much fat on my body.

Not sure I'm comfortable with this approach though and here's why . . . I have never ever heard my mom make one positive comment about her appearance. And in high school, although I was 5'6" and 128 lbs, I CONSTANTLY obsessed about my weight, going on diets, joining Weight Watchers, etc. And it continued into college too. Such a waste of time and mental energy!

I am torn because I feel like junky food is much more accessible today than it was when I grew up (70s-80s), and that childhood obesity is much more of a risk now. I see lots of chubby preteens around and I know it must have been so easy for them to get that way. Example, my preschoolers have a 1-hour soccer practice, and the team stops in the middle for a 10-minute snack break (complete with juice box). Is that really necessary??

OTOH, I want my daughter to have a healthy self-image and not to stress out about gaining weight, and I want to be a positive role model for a healthy self-image.

I'd welcome any thoughts from parents who feel they have this figured out, and also any thoughts from former kids who feel that what their parents did was particularly helpful or unhelpful. Thanks!

First and foremost, being the parent you do the grocery shopping so don't buy anything deemed unhealthy. If you want to give the kids a treat then take them out but don't leave it easily accessible around the house. If they spend time with your parents or other family members then set the expectation with them as well. The good thing about them being young is that you have lots of time to start improving their habits; do it now while they're young cuz it's all over by the time they even hit the teen years.

As far as talking to them about it, keep it simple. The younger they are the simpler you should keep it. Keep it along the lines of being healthy, growing up to be strong, and having energy to play. Something like that.

One of the challenges my wife and I have is that she likes to negotiate with the kids on stuff, food being one of the items. Somethings you just can't negotiate because kids don't get the big picture and it's our job as parents to do what's best for them regardless of if they like it or not.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bumping b/c I'm totally interested in this topic. Hope people continue to respond with their input.

My oldest is not overweight, but eats a ton of sugar! The good kind (from fruit) AND the bad kind. And she thinks we are mean and that she's in trouble when she doesn't get candy. She doesn't understand it SHOULDN'T be an everyday thing. and I swear every month is a holiday with a party at day care that she brings home a ton of candy! I try to keep it cleared out to the bare minimums... but she's getting more aware of what I'm doing and not happy about it!

My hubs and I both want to try to "fix" any mistakes we've already made with her and continue to promote good health and good choices. But I agree it can be a sensitive subject and do not want her to obsess over her body image when she grows up. Just want to find the good balance in teaching that balance in food choices along with exercise is what's important.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Ok I have two hats on this topic, one is I am a Mum of three, and the other is I work in School Nursing and am part of the National Child Measurement programme and the Healthy Weight, Healthy lives team for my area.

As a Mum, we did not have snacks in the house, my children grew up eating breakfast, lunch and tea (Tea is the name given to the early evening meal here in the UK) They did not have pudding/sweet/dessert after a meal other than on a Sunday, they did not have sweets/candy other than as a special treat, we did not have biscuits/cookies in the house, snacks were cucumber, carrot sticks etc or fruit. They DID have the occasional McDonald's, as a treat, they did have ice cream on a hot day at the beach, as a treat....they played out when it didn't rain, they all had school dinners, and they all did sport, and were in clubs, like Brownies, Football/soccer, netball, athletics etc, as a family we walked, danced, ran about a lot, and it is only in later years after they were all older, (My oldest is married) that I gained weight myself after my divorce....

In my job, I have lost weight as I felt it was no good me trying to influence and educate parents when I was not setting a good example, I am now able to say to people that I know what it is like to try to lose weight, and I know that it is easy to NOT lose weight, our advice is that WE NEVER EVER EVER tell parents or children to diet, we NEVER say fat, we DO say portion size is important for children, and that parents need to remember that a child stomach is the size of THE CHILDS fist, that they need MUCH smaller portions than adults, that healthy choices are good and that rewarding with food in any shape of form, or punishing with food in any shape or form is BAD, people often say things like 'if you are good you can have a sweet/candy etc and this is not a good idea, a child should not be rewarded with food. Time and attention is the best and only reward they need, or a treat like being able to choose a place to visit or a game to play, we encourage small and healthy changes, walking more, playing outstide more, dancing to music in the home if this is not possible, snack swapping for fruit and veg instead of unhealthy things etc. You don't need to discuss why, you just live more healthy lives as parents and the children are part of that change, they can have mcdonalds, just not every week, they can have sweets/candy, just not every day...etc
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    First, I just have to clarify something:
    Also, listing enchiladas as a healthy food? We're talking about fried tortillas with cheese? That is pretty much the epitome of unhealthy food! I am confused... Veggies are healthy. Rice is healthy. Quinoa is healthy. Lentils and beans are healthy. Fried fatty bread and cheese? Not so much.

Enchiladas in our house = steamed corn tortillas filled with spinach and black beans, with a moderate amount of cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. :smile:
    "I swear every month is a holiday with a party at day care that she brings home a ton of candy!"

I agree, except it's seems like it's weekly with us. I haven't bought candy for my kids since Christmas. But their preschool celebrates every birthday with cake in class, plus it seems that every kid gets invited to every birthday party. Not only that, but the last party we attended, not only was there cake, apple juice, lemonade and chocolate covered pretzels, but there was a pinata and so the kids all brought home bags of candy from that.

I have thought of confiscating it, but I know a woman whose mom always confiscated her Halloween candy every year and she gorged on candy whenever her mom wasn't around. That seems to set up a whole "forbidden fruit" mentality that doesn't sound healthy either.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Enchiladas in our house = steamed corn tortillas filled with spinach and black beans, with a moderate amount of cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. :smile:

That makes a lot more sense, lol!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I lead by example. I prepare most of the food they eat, so I set what and how much. They also see me eating small portions and fresh fruits and veggies, so it's natural for them to follow suit. I don't disallow snacks, but they are very much in moderation. My son has to ask for snacks. He also used to be picky. Now some will think this cruel, but there wasn't a thing harmful about it.. He refused his dinner one night (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans). I told him if he didn't eat it now, while it was hot for dinner, he didn't get anything else either. He was not going to take another bite of food till he ate his dinnerplate. He thought he could wait me out. He never touched the plate. At bedtime, I wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge. When he got up for breakfast, he was starving. I got the plate out and set it in front of him. He couldn't believe his eyes. I told him, NO FOOD OF ANY KIND till you clean that plate. He ate everything in front of him.. and decided right away that hot dinner of any kind is way better than the same meal for cold breakfast. That was 10 years ago. He has not refused anything I've given him since. I don't make him eat spicy food, but if it's good enough for the rest of us, you bet he'll eat it too. His diet is 200% better than ANY of his peers as well. Now that he's older and he sees me exercising, I've gotten him into a running program as well. I made sure that I made these changes for myself, then after about a year and a half in, I began changing my family's diet and exercise. If I'm doing it cause it's good for me, then I'm responsible to do the same for my family.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    We always had family meal times together, and our children from when they were tiny all knew what proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins were and how important they were for our bodies (and what happened if you didn't get enough vitamin C - scurvy, or eat enough veggies - rickets). Snacks were limited, and usually not on a 'help yourself' basis. Water was the standard drink. Sweets, chocolates and fizzy drinks were weekend only. All 4 grew up to be slim, healthy young adults, who now take food and exercise seriously, taking steps to change if they find the scales creeping up!

My real problem, though, is with our grandchildren, and I know I am on dangerous ground if I interfere. But I see them helping themselves to a pack of crisps only 30mins before a meal is served, and then not being hungry to eat the healthy meal that is served, gorging themselves on chocolate at any time of day or night, grazing on sugar filled cereals in front of TV all weekend mornings. To be fair, they have family meals more than most, and some rules are enforced like not having pudding if they have not eaten at least an agreed amount of protein and veggies for the main course. And when they come to stay with us, if they come to me asking for crisps before dinner, I usually give them carrot or cucumber sticks, and they are NOT allowed to take food in to the TV room. And, because my son and d-i-l are both into exercise (karate and running respectively), the children are going along with them to a much greater extent than we ever did when ours were little.

So it is a little swings and roundabouts! But I still find it difficult to bite my tongue when we visit them, and my DH often doesn't, which can create a bit of an atmosphere! It doesn't help that the other grandparents see no problems in these bad habits, and often encourage them with lots of sweets and choccies when they visit. But they bring loads of laughter, so again, our grandchildren are learning different things from the four of us!