OMG! I am SHOCKED!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Roald Dahl and Eva Ibbotson are both quite dark, but fabulous.

The BFG has giants that eat people, but it is probably my all-time favorite children's book.

ETA - my son and I read all of the Roald Dahl books together when he was 6 or 7.

I LOVE Roald Dahl, I read all of his books when I was about that age - they are still my favorites.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yes, because those of us who read the bible to our children don't take their age into consideration at all. :noway:

CAUGHT!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!

I wondered when that would come up. I actually assumed that's what Bug was referring to, stories from the Bible. :smile:
    I got bible stories every night before bed and I turned out just fine.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I would not hesitate to read my children the real Grimm's brother tales. I had read them the real Little Mermaid complete with its pain and sadness. They were fine with it. They know that people die and that not everyone is nice. There is nothing wrong with that.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    my rib cage is shiny? oooohhhh....

fresh ones are. after a few hours, not so much.

Bet you could polish it though if you tried real hard.

bone DOES polish. so sure. or you could just add fresh gore when it dried out.

Being as I am a lazy *kitten* i would probably just add fresh gore when it dried out - it sounds like the easiest route.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    yes. as early as possible. Plan to read the original Grimm fairytales and various folk lore stories.

I got these stories at a young age and I'm not that damaged.

...honest...
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The original Brother's Grimm stories are creepy as ****. That's what I used to read up at my grandparent's farm...
    I was raised on the original Brother's Grimm stories, as my grandparent's were German and this is what was taught to my parents. I think at the appropriate age it's okay. My children were about 9 years old when they found out about the Grimm Brother's. I am glad I can help them with their heritage at the same time.
    Granted some of it is gruesome, but that is how it is written. I have no problem with it.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    No, we don't have a bible in our house.
  • CassiHutchings
    CassiHutchings Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I was in elementary school my class went to the library and the librarian read us a story from Mythology. The story consisted of a man being punished for eternity, and he was tied to a rock and every day a huge bird would come and tear all of his skin off, and peck out his eyes. Every day his skin and eyes would grow back and the next day the same thing would happen again. lol. Guess it's what your comfortable with!!!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Please please please.....can we keep this one site for weight loss instead of promoting anyone's theology or lack thereof. I won't even express which side of that coin I'm on because this really isn't the time or place. Let's just all be friends and lose weight.
  • Mike937
    Mike937 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't let your kids read the Bible...it's full of murder, rape, incest and all that other icky stuff!

I wondered when that would come up. I actually assumed that's what Bug was referring to, stories from the Bible. :smile:
    I got bible stories every night before bed and I turned out just fine.

My wife and I are very strong evangelical Christians, and we are very careful about which stories our children hear at what age.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Please please please.....can we keep this one site for weight loss instead of promoting anyone's theology or lack thereof. I won't even express which side of that coin I'm on because this really isn't the time or place. Let's just all be friends and lose weight.

Sweetheart, this is the "chit-chat" section of the forum....you don't have to talk weight loss here. That's what the other sections of the forum are for.
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with reading the Brothers Grimm or the Bible. I do think that one must take the child's age into consideration, answer questions, and explain that these are the beginnings of the so-called fairy tales. Of course, I wouldn't be reading these stories to a three-year-old due to where they are developmentally. I think that anywhere around 8 and older a parent can be sure to help their child understand the history and meanings of these stories.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    ...Deleted Post...
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I dont think we'll have to worry about the things in the bible...unless my little girl wants to make her own decisions and become a christain.

Ill just remain an atheist..
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You should see the comics my daughter reads. Roman Dirge is awesome!

Sheltering kids never works anyway.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You should see the comics my daughter reads. Roman Dirge is awesome!

Sheltering kids never works anyway.
    <---- Sheltered kid. Got knocked up at 17. He's absolutely right.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We read spongebob and Thomas the Train, unless there is a good book about cars or Mater.
    People I work with read the bible at lunch and quote it all day. Welcome to the bible belt!! :devil:
    I keep my opinions to myself because I am highly out numbered and I like working for a living, but I will never read it to my kids. They can make up their own minds on what they want to believe.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You should really not enter the Chit-chat, fun, and games section if you're wanting to stick to weight loss only discussions.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know in the original cinderella story the ugly sisters chop off bits of their feet try and fit into the glass slipper, in little red riding hood the woodcutter guts the wolf, in the little mermaid the mermaid is left broken hearted and dies but luckily instead of turning to sea foam (which is what happens when mermaids die as they don't have souls) some spirits rescue her and she becomes one and has the a few hundred years to earn her soul.....

I like the old tales. When I was 9 a neighbour gave me an old copy of Hans Andersons Fairy Tales (old as in there's a written inscription inside that says "To Maggie, Happy Xmas 1899, Love Aunt Lizzie" ) and they were enjoyabley depressing and gruesome. :happy:

I'd have no qualms allowing my daughter hearing the original versions - more true to human personalities/attitudes/behaviour than some disney-fied version :wink:

*edit* And I had a Children's Bible at aged 8, which I requested, wasn't so keen on discovering that King David used to spy and his best mates wife bathing in the nude and was a big meany and got his best friend killed so he could nick his wife. I found that worse than the fairy tales :tongue: