Dr Oz's 100 WL Tips

Options
124»

Replies

• BetterWithAge
    Options
    87. Avocados can be your secret weight loss partners. They're high in fiber and healthy fats, giving you a meaty-tasting meat alternative.

Avocados taste like meat? They taste like avocados to me. :huh:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a boring way of eating, to me, but probably a helpful strategy1. Automate your eating by planning your meals ahead of time. That way you're less likely to make an unhealthy last-minute food choice.
    Eh... yah... oats are yummy and nutritious and filling, but they ain't gonna stop me from eating that pizza if I want it 2. Oats are your friends! Eating a cup of oatmeal in the morning will prevent you from gorging in the afternoon.
    Mmm. Salmon. I'm okay with this tip3. Foods with healthy fats such as olives, salmon and walnuts help you feel satisfied.
    Yeah uh no. As long as you're getting sufficient calories each day, you can eat them in 6 meals, 3 meals. or one meal and be good. Heck, you can even go a full 24 hours without food and not hit 'starvation mode'. 4. Skipping meals can cause your body to go into a fat-storing starvation mode, making it harder to burn calories.
    I have much love for nuts, but zero desire to soak them in water 5. Got nuts with nuts. Eating a handful of nuts will help you stay full. Try soaking them in water for a different texture.
    :)6. Use meditation to help you cope with chronic stress, which can lead you to crave feel-good carbs.
    Agreed7. You may be used to fried foods but there are other, sometimes healthier, ways to cook including: roasting, steaming, poaching, baking, braising and broiling.
    Err. Umm. Not all that important in my opinion 8. Do your grocery shopping with a list and a time limit; that way, you're less likely to stray into the processed foods section.
    Sure, I suppose 9. Don't confuse thirst with hunger. Drink a glass of water when you feel hungry to see if that's what you're really craving.
    Personally don't see a problem with eating bread, snack mix, or chips and salsa as long as they fit in my calorie allotment for the day10. When out at a restaurant, ask the server to hold the bread, snack mix or chips and salsa that might come before the meal. If you're hungry, you'll be tempted.
    Err. Okay 11. Tired of eating your salad on a plate? Fill a whole wheat pita with salad and a splash of lemon for a twist.
    No arguments with this one12. You might do better to replace an occasional dinner with a nice roll in the hay. Healthy sex may help control the amount of food you eat and it's great exercise.
    Good idea13. Create emergency packs filled with healthy foods such as nuts, fruits or sliced vegetables to help you avoid unhealthy temptations.
    Yah, this is just crazy. Red pepper just makes my mouth hurt and means I will eat less of the food that has red pepper on it. It doesn't have any effect on the food I eat later 14. Add red pepper flakes to your pantry. When eaten early in the day, red pepper lowers the amount of food you'll eat later.
    Okay15. Odds are you're eating too fast. Try holding a conversation while having a meal so you're not gulping down more than you need to feel full.
    I like walks. Walking has no impact on what I choose to eat though16. Take a brisk walk before lunch or dinner. Not only will you get in some exercise, you're less likely to choose something unhealthy after a little movement.
    Yuck. Just my opinion 17. Looking for the benefits of salmon but you don't feel comfortable cooking fish? Try canned salmon as a simple and affordable alternative.
    mmkay18. Are your dishes too big? A healthy dinner should fit on a 9-inch plate. You may find that kid-sized plates are more appropriately sized to feed an adult!
    I count/weigh out a serving size and put it on a plate, so I suppose this is as reasonable a suggestion as any19. Never eat any snack food out of the box, carton or bag it came in. You're less likely to overeat if you separate snacks into appropriate fist-sized servings.
    I don't believe in metabolism boosting super foods (or drink). IF they boost metabolism (more than just a normal thermogenic effect of digestion) the effect is minimal and not likely to have a big impact on weight loss. Besides, I don't like chili peppers.20. Boost your metabolism with some green tea or chili peppers.
    THIS is good advice 21. Get your Zzzzzs. Sleep deprivation alters levels of hormones in the body that regulate hunger, causing an increase in appetite.
    Pretty sure this is a gross over-estimation of how much muscle burns, BUT I'm all in favor of strength training. GO LIFTING HEAVY THINGS!!22. Muscle burns at least four times as many calories as fat does, so try twenty minutes of strength straining two to three times a week.
    Err. Umm. Okay. Sure/. 23. Decaf coffee is a great low-calorie fluid when you're having cravings (and a great source of antioxidants).
    Uhhh. Not on my planet. Liquid calories are horrible for my diet. They leave me feeling starving all day. And that includes soup and smoothies 24. Eating liquid-based foods such as natural smoothies and low-sodium soup can help you cut back on calories yet feel full.
    Eh. Walking is one way of burning calories. But it's not the only way 25. A pedometer can help keep track of your steps. If you're not getting 10,000 steps a day, you're not moving enough.
    Applesause is yum26. Natural applesauce is an excellent dip for fruits such as bananas and melons.
    K. Sure. I'm really not gonna try and fidget more. 27. Take every opportunity to move around, even in small ways. Studies show fidgety people tend to be skinnier.
    Identify emotional triggers= good. Picture goal weight = not my favorite coping strategy 28. Identify the emotional triggers that lead you to seek unhealthy comfort food. Picture your goal weight the next time a trigger strikes to help you resist temptation.
    LOVE hummus, but he does realize that it's not exactly low cal, right? I can eat 500 calories in hummus in a heart beat 29. Use a vegetable bean dip such as hummus instead of ranch dressing or a fatty cream-based dip.
    Sure30. People who regularly weigh themselves and keep track of their progress in a journal are more likely to lose weight.
    Mmmm. Cinnamon31. Use a dash of cinnamon to give fruits such as bananas and melons a richer dessert feel without the sugar.
    Mmmmm. Salsa and chutney 32. Give your protein extra low-calorie flavor by adding a salsa or chutney instead of a gooey cream sauce.
    Agreed33. Distracted dining will get you in trouble. Avoid eating in front of a television or in a movie theater, as you're bound to consume more calories.
    But I like soda34. Pass on pop. You'll be amazed by how much weight you drop by simply switching to water.
    Okay35. Beware of "fat-free" or "zero trans fats" foods as you could be trading fats for huge amounts of sugar or sodium.
    This is just sorta silly. Juice is high calorie, but skim milk isn't gonna magically make you eat less and I can drink plenty of calories worth of skim milk if I want to! Love that stuff. 36. Try drinking skim milk at breakfast instead of juice. Overweight people who drank skim milk for breakfast ate fewer calories
    Naw. It's not suppressing my appetite. It's just keeping my mouth busy. Nothing magic 37. Sugarless chewing gum can suppress your appetite in a pinch.
    Huh. That sounds kinda gross. But okay 38. Snack attack! Puree peaches, berries or pears for a sweet spread to go on pita chips.
    I like this idea 39. If you're having trouble getting started, make a small move such as starting an eating log or buying walking shoes. You're three times more likely to follow through if you start with small gestures such as these.
    *like*40. Always have vegetables on hand. Saute a big bag of frozen mixed vegetables in olive oil and garlic. Add some red pepper or turmeric for additional flavor and separate into portion-sized containers for the fridge.
    Okay41. Edamame (soy beans) are a great low-cost snack. Look for them in the frozen foods section.
    You already told me about soup42. Soups can be both filling and comforting. Try making a garden or bean soup with low-salt broth and store in portion-sized cups for later.
    Good idea43. Save time and money during the week by buying lean protein such as chicken breasts in bulk and cooking a week's worth on Sunday night.
    Eh. Not important for me 44. Save the kitchen and the dining room table for cooking and eating. Try not to use it as a place to do work or other activities, or you may be tempted to eat more.
    Okay45. If food was your only source of pleasure, make sure to reconnect with other things you enjoy -- music, sports, volunteer work or movies, for example.
    Okay. Though it doesn't *really* matter. Just might help you feel more full 46. Try to have a little lean protein with each meal, as protein tends to be more satisfying than carbs or fats.
    <shrug>47. Think ahead to how you'll eat and exercise on the weekends. It's easy to get too relaxed on Saturdays and Sundays, but healthy living is a 7-day-a-week endeavor.
    Some junk ain't gonna kill you- but still a good strategy and one I follow somewhat. If I want a treat, I have to buy it. I don't keep it in my house48. Dump the junk food. If you want to avoid temptation, make sure you clean out the fridge and the pantry
    Yum fruits and veggies... but season? How's that critical to diet? It just makes 'um yummier. I think Dr. Oz was reaching to fill a nice round 10049. When you eat calorie-friendly fruits and vegetables that are in season, they tend to taste better and you're more likely to enjoy them.
    Yah... not really. It just doesn't matter.50. People who eat breakfast have a better shot at losing and maintaining weight loss.
    Measuring tape good. 32.5 inches for women? What??! Do we all come in the same size now? 51. Replace your scale with a tape measure. Aim for 32 1/2 inches or less for women and 35 inches or less for men.
    4 grams = arbitrary number. Sugar = yummy 52. Make sure you check food labels and avoid anything with more than 4 grams of sugar, especially high-fructose corn syrup, per serving.
    No argument53. Eat a fiber-filled apple before a meal to help you feel full faster.
    Love peanut butter. Love almonds. Love cheese. Love butter.54. Opt for peanut butter or almond butter spreads instead of cream cheese or butter.
    Why are they 'essential' exactly? What magic properties do they hold? I don't like bananas 55. Remember these five essential smoothie ingredients: frozen berries, a banana, skim milk, a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of psyllium seed husks.
    I thought I was supposed to eat oats? I like eggs. With cheese.56. Researchers found that dieters who ate eggs in the morning were less hungry than those who ate carb-heavy meals.
    WOOT. Salmon is magic.57. The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon may dial up your body's ability to burn fat, especially if you add some exercise.
    I thought we were supposed to avoid sugar? Pasta and pasta sauces = sugar (in the form of carbs) Make up your mind!58. A Mediterranean diet not only comes with heart benefits, studies show it leads to more weight loss than low-fat diets.
    Why?59. Replace your regular pasta noodles with whole wheat pasta for a more filling meal.
    Because a 19 year old server is gonna know all about nutrition and is gonna help make your choices for you?60. When eating out, ask your server to point out the healthiest options on the menu.
    <shrug>61. You don't have to make a three-digit number your weight loss goal. Aim for a certain dress size or waist measurement.
    K. Beans are good62. Go lean with bean protein. Beans are an affordable and healthy alternative to meats and are wonderfully filling.
    More chili peppers?63. Energize plain-tasting proteins such as eggs or chicken with metabolism-boosting chili pepper sauce.
    Greek yogurt good. Berries good. 64. Try a plain Greek yogurt with frozen berries for a pre-workout boost.
    Watch out for tortillas. They are sneaky with losta calories (sometimes)65. Turn dinner into a healthy lunch the next day by wrapping your lean leftovers in a whole wheat wrap. Add a little Dijon mustard or curry powder for added flavor.
    Skittles are rainbow. >.> What?66. Eat a rainbow of colors. Have at least one brightly colored fruit or vegetable in each meal, and, if appropriate, eat the skins -- that's where you'll find a powerhouse of antioxidants.
    okay67. Make an office snack box of your own so you're not tempted by your colleague's candy bowl. Fill it with small individually packaged portions of soy chips, almonds and dried fruit.
    deja vu?68. Make an office snack box of your own so you're not tempted by your colleague's candy bowl. Fill it with small individually packaged portions of soy chips, almonds and dried fruit.
    Bleh. Microwaves = fast 69. If you're 'cooking' food in the microwave, chances are you're eating unhealthy packaged foods. If you must microwave, consider soy chicken patties, veggie burgers or steamer vegetables and brown rice.
    Um. Okay70. Make your wardrobe match your goals. As you lose weight donate the clothes that no longer fit you as an incentive to stay on track.
    Right. If you say so. I guess this might work for some.71. Pick up a 5- or 10-pound weight at the gym and visualize that weight coming off. Holding the weight in your hands helps bring home just how heavy even 5 pounds of extra fat can be.
    Hmm. Um. Why is this gonna help? 5 minutes of walking more = what? 10 more calories burned?72. If you find yourself at a weight loss plateau, up the duration of your exercise routine by five minutes.
    Pound meat for stress. Got it.73. Pounding out your meat will help healthier portions go a longer way visually, and it's good stress relief.
    Might have to try it74. Silken tofu makes a wonderful replacement for cream in some recipes.
    And if I don't like mustard?75. Save 85 calories just by swapping mustard for mayonnaise in a sandwich.
    Oh man! I'm screwed. I routinely eat after 9 at night. No wonder I can't lose weight! /end sarcasm. P.S. At 7, I am driving home from work. My options are fast food or weight until I get home and eat after 7. 76. Do your best to ensure you're not eating after 7 o'clock at night. You're more likely to make unhealthy choices and less likely to sleep as well after a late meal.
    Pasta-less now? What happened to that Mediterranean diet?77. Try a pasta-less spaghetti by mixing shredded zucchini, veggie meatballs and raw tomato sauce seasoned with a dash of zesty oregano.
    Yum. Herbs.78. Fresh herbs can really zing up a healthy meal. Try growing some in the kitchen using a strawberry pot. Preserve the flavor by adding fresh herbs at the end of the cooking process
    Yum. Fast food.79. Fast food is salty food. If you cut back on the salt, in a few weeks you'll be able to better taste the natural salts in food and may not crave the junk as much as you used to.
    Roger that80. The rub on ground turkey is that it's dry. Add some olive oil and finely blended onions to a turkey burger or turkey meatball to enhance its juiciness.
    Er.81. If you're trying to lose weight with your significant other, pack each other's lunches. The lunchbox surprises will keep the both of you motivated.
    Salad yum82. If you're eating out, make salad the appetizer. Most starters are fried and come with unhealthy dips or sauces.
    Ewwww mushrooms. P.S. You already suggested olives.83. Savory 'umami' ingredients such as mushrooms, low-sodium soy, asparagus and olives can help you feel full and add an earthy, home-y quality to your healthy-dishes.
    Except if you have bad knees/back84. Make it a point to use the steps whenever possible. Use the bathroom on a different floor at work, take the stairs at the bus station, the airport or the mall.
    Huh. Okay 85. Try baking apple slices as a healthy alternative to potato chips.
    Okay86. Eating water-rich foods such as melons, tomatoes and celery can help fill you up without adding too many calories to your day.
    Avocados are nasty. Just sayin' 87. Avocados can be your secret weight loss partners. They're high in fiber and healthy fats, giving you a meaty-tasting meat alternative.
    Oooh. I like pumpkin seeds, but watch out for the calories. They got 'em 88. A handful of unsalted pumpkin seeds make for a healthy mid-day snack. They're rich in magnesium, which helps lower blood pressure.
    Got it. Stand up straight = skinny89. Keeping good posture will not only strengthen your core, but will also add a small extra-calorie burn, because you're working slightly harder to maintain the position.
    Sleep, don't eat. Got it.90. Cravings can sneak up on you when you're tired. Try taking a nap if you feel yourself wanting some junk food.
    Okay!91. Share your weight loss goals with your friends and family. Make it a positive life change and ask for their encouragement.
    Okay!92. Take a photo of yourself each week so you can see your physical transformation.
    93. Store-bought salad dressings can be packed with calories. Make your own vinaigrette and store it in a small spray bottle to coat your greens without over-dressing them.
    Love yoga... but what kinda yoga are you doing? Mine only burns 120 calories per hour 94. Yoga may be relaxing but you can also get a good workout. An hour of yoga can burn up to 350 calories.
    Ah. Quinoa. One day maybe, but mushrooms = nasty! 95. Get familiar with quinoa -- a wonderful grain that's easy to cook and goes great with sauteed vegetables or mushrooms.
    Protein style, baby! But give me back my cheese. 96. Ditch the mayo, cheese and top bun if you want to scrape off 250 calories from a restaurant sandwich.
    Mmm. Okay!97. Resistance bands are a comfortable and affordable at-home exercise option for strength straining.
    I like freezers.98. Use the freezer to add some extra oomph to summer foods. Freeze grapes for some bite-sized delights. Or get a popsicle mold and freeze some Greek yogurt with berries.
    But then my food will get cold while I clean up 99. Wrap up any extra food you've cooked before you sit down to a meal so you're not tempted to get seconds.
    I will get out the stop watch. 30 seconds. Got it. 100. Take a 30-second break in the middle of your meal. Evaluate just how hungry you still are before getting back to your food.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    87. Avocados can be your secret weight loss partners. They're high in fiber and healthy fats, giving you a meaty-tasting meat alternative.

Avocados taste like meat? They taste like avocados to me. :huh:

And I'm allergic to them. How does he not KNOW that????!!! Insulting.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz IS a money hungry *kitten*, but come on people a lot of these really aren't that bad. Especially for someone who is basically obese like i was. All of these tips can be found elsewhere. His name attached to it does not make it any more credible whatsoever :laugh:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There are some good points there for some of the people who might be less perfect than dozens on here.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just started eating chili peppers regularly with sriracha sauce...is chili pepper paste and its hot...you can add it mayo and eat on sandwiches or my husband just puts it on everything ...its got a picture of a rooster on it so people call it rooster sauce...its so addicting and only 5 cals

I hope it boosts my metabolism!
  • rjcogirl13
    Options
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just started eating chili peppers regularly with sriracha sauce...is chili pepper paste and its hot...you can add it mayo and eat on sandwiches or my husband just puts it on everything ...its got a picture of a rooster on it so people call it rooster sauce...its so addicting and only 5 cals

I hope it boosts my metabolism!

If c0ck sauce (what I call sriarcha) and other spicy peppery foods actually boosted your metabolism, I'd be a rail. I go through a LARGE bottle of Franks, Sriarcha, and Cholula (each), and a 20oz jar of hot pepperocinis, and dill pickles every month. My metabolism hasn't done anything of note.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I hate Dr.Oz cuz he is making money off other people's ideas but this list regardless of who came up with it does have a lot of useful tips...
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I got my exercise reading the LOL trails.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I tend not to buy into the advice of any TV personality, it's all about the ratings for them. I saw maybe one or two common sense pieces of advice in that whole list. The rest is junk science and sensationalism.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a moron, but there are a few good tips on there...the operative word being FEW.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    Bump
  • yorkies2
    yorkies2 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My whole family and I LOVE Dr. Oz. He is down to earth, he uses common sense.. and he doesn't think that we should be feeding money into the pharmaceutical companies "just because".
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is like every 4th statement contradicts the preceding... Oh wait that is what snake oil salesmen do...

This is how Dr Phil did it, this is how used car salesmen do it and this is how tricksters and con artists do it.

See it is very simple... You make every thing sound good, yet you cover all of your bases so you never sound wrong.

For example.

1. Drinking a glass of wine a day is good for your heart
    2. Avoid drinking alcohol in the evening because it is bad for your metabolism.
    3. Don't drink alcohol at a business lunch, instead drink water you will be alert during your meeting

In one statement it says having a glass of WINE a DAY is good for your heart
    The other statement is saying alcohol in the evening is bad for your metabolism

Your brain goes - oh yeah that is right having wine every day is good for your heart...

Then later on after you have cycled through the other garbage you come across the don't drink at night because it is bad for your metabolism and then your brain goes yeah that makes sense. Then you see the don't drink alcohol at lunch time instead go for a walk... most people are not going to logically have a glass of wine in the morning so regardless he is always "right" and to the ignorant viewer he is god like in his knowledge.

In reality, he is saying drink but don't drink unless your drinking ...