Dressing your age- 30ish and up

Options

Replies

• rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am in my 30s (though I have been told that I really don't look it) and I have never really paid attention to the 'rules' for my age. I wear what I feel comfortable and confident in, no matter what section of the store I buy it in! I love wearing skinny jeans tucked into knee length boots just as much as I love wearing my chucks with my boyfriend cut Miss Me capris!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I do think there comes a time when you have to realize you look like a fool in junior clothes and I don't think anyone looks good in sparkles unless your 5-12, that's just me. I am almost 56 and cannot find a pair of jeans that aren't Mom Jeans though. Snce I lost weight, I have to go to the junior section and then they are so low my Arss sticks out when I sit. That was fine in the 70's but I'm a Grammy now. :explode::grumble: :ohwell: :laugh:
    You shouldn't have to go to Junior's to buy jeans...hit up a Macy's in the regular sections...Calvin Klein, etc. I *never* shop in Juniors!

I've tried. No one has size 4 that aren't straight legs. I'm just not a straight leg kind of girl. It's so frustrating.

Old Navy? Gap? Target? Banana Republic? Kohls?
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it depends on your age and your size..........ie skinny jeans look fine on anyone teen - 45ish if they've got the figure to carry it off.......if someone is a plus plus size and wears skinny jeans, i dont care how confident they think they look in them, its a no no....! obviously showing your midrift is a no,from mid 20's and upward.

I'm 38 and i wear skinny jeans with flat boots and a hoody when doing nothing at the weekend, and with stiletto boots or stiletto shoes when going out, but i wouldnt be seen dead wearing a mini skirt!

Above the knee is just fine for work, with heels, but not short enough that your *kitten* is showing, that is never good, even for younger girls.....just looks cheap!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    being short waisted I can't wear mom jeans, or they come up to my boobs, so I have to wear mid-rise just below the belly button.. as I change sizes though they inadvertantly become low rise and I occasionally have to hitch them up before I sit down.. I love Target's misses boyfriend T's I have 4 of them,plus a couple others that are similar, ss slightly long, and I love them.

It's not about dressing your age, it's about how you carry yourself and how confident you come across.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it depends on your age and your size..........ie skinny jeans look fine on anyone teen - 45ish if they've got the figure to carry it off.......if someone is a plus plus size and wears skinny jeans, i dont care how confident they think they look in them, its a no no....!

Totally disagree! I should take a pic next time I am wearing skinny pants. ;)

It all depends on your leg shape, the fit and what you pair it with.
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    being short waisted I can't wear mom jeans, or they come up to my boobs, so I have to wear mid-rise just below the belly button..

DITTO! I hate buying pants but I love jeans!

I am 47. I find most of what people my age wear just outright frumpy. Plus I'm short. These trendy cropped pants everyone my age is wearing just make me look shorter than I actually am.

None of us want to be told what to wear. So why should any of us be telling others?

I once worked for a 75 year old European woman who at one time was a model. She still wore 4 inch stiletto heels! While other ladies her age were dragging around oxygen tanks and wearing slippers. I say more power to her!

Wear your sparkles! Don't let anyone tell you not to.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I beleive in being modest but I think thats for all ages, I think you should dress how you feel, and the two will effect the other, I feel kinda sad that I feel for this consept of "dressing your age" when I was 18 I took out all my percings, lip, tounge, nose, cause I felt like I was too old, now I feel like I don't want to be a cookie cutter shape, so don't give one dam what people think I should dress like, I love wearing miss match silly socks and I always will, of cource Im not 30 yet but heck I will dress how I want even in my 80s
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start dressing horridly so I can be nominated for What Not To Wear. I'd like a $5000 new wardrobe..
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    being short waisted I can't wear mom jeans, or they come up to my boobs, so I have to wear mid-rise just below the belly button..

DITTO! I hate buying pants but I love jeans!

I am 47. I find most of what people my age wear just outright frumpy. Plus I'm short. These trendy cropped pants everyone my age is wearing just make me look shorter than I actually am.

None of us want to be told what to wear. So why should any of us be telling others?

I once worked for a 75 year old European woman who at one time was a model. She still wore 4 inch stiletto heels! While other ladies her age were dragging around oxygen tanks and wearing slippers. I say more power to her!

Wear your sparkles! Don't let anyone tell you not to.

I think we're kindred spirits! :heart:

ETA: My grandmother passed away at 76...a few months before she passed away she showed me these high heeled converse sneakers she had bought for herself. I asked why she bought high heeled sneakers...she said she had never worn flat shoes before, but had always wanted to try wearing a pair of sneakers, so they were the perfect compromise. :laugh:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I enjoy younger clothes for sure....because when I was young enough to wear the in style stuff I was too fat!!!

I do have my own rules though.....I still want to look appropriate for my age (no belly shirts or mini skirts etc)
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I don't think it's about dressing your age, but I think it's about dressing in whatever makes you feel confident.

But what do I know, I'm just a young 24-year-old. I'll be 25 on Saturday though, eeeeek! :smokin:

Happy Early Birthday!
  • PrimeVitality
    Options
    Tell me about it....what is up with all the butt crack jeans?? I do like them to fit below my navel, but not so that it looks like my rear is pinched into a little butt muffin!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "dressing one's age." I do, however, believe that you will be judged in both how you look and how you carry yourself.
    -wtk

Well said.
  • Eranajb
    Eranajb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wear skinny jeans when I'm feeling skinny. I'm 41, who cares. I don't dress like a teenager, but I love the skinny jeans. I don't wear midriff bearing tops because of the 3 sons that came out of my body, and my consideration for those around me. I don't want to be the old lady people are pointing at because she thinks she's 20, but I also don't want to be the mom running around in jeans to my rib cage and big, bulky color-block sweaaters. There is a balance, as far as I'm concerned. And dress in what you like. That. Is. All. lol

I like your attitude.

To be fair, I have now idea what would suit me at the moment. It's a fine line between fab or frumpy when you are 4 sizes larger than you used to be.

I have to remind myself I am 37 and not dress frumpy. I would wear skinny jeans if they suit me when i get to goal. I d be glad to dress younger, if I could figure out what looks nice.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were fashion rules for my age.....45

Some may not like this but.....if my husband wants me to wear a short, tight mini skirt out - then I'm wearing a short, tight mini-skirt out.

I say go for it! My friends mom is prob 45-50 and she has the awesomest legs I have ever seen! She should not cover up her best asset in my opinion! And since she is comfy in short skirts she wears them regularly!
  • jaimebarth
    Options
    Where I think the line gets crossed between "dressing your age" and "dressing appropriately" is when any overweight, unfit woman dresses in jeans that are too small, skirts that show the cellulite, and tops that show entirely too much cleavage. ANYONE no matter what age has no business showing off too much unless the body is nearly flawless and even then, there is such a thing as dressing appropriately. If you're sportin' the muffin-top, buy your jeans a size bigger. If your breasts are threatening to flop out, your top doesn't fit right. If it's jiggling and looks like cottage cheese...cover it. Don't wear the mini-skirt to work or to school to pick up your kids (or grandkids). Save them for the bar. Oh, and for you men out there...there are far less of you who offend so I wouldn't worry about it!!!
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'll be 35 in 2 weeks and Im finding that the juniors jeans low rise is a nono for me..I feel like my crack is hangin out and if its not that my underwear IS.... :blushing:

I like alot of the urban wear like, South Pole, Fubu, and Baby Phat jeans because they are actually made for people who HAVE curves... (in my case thighs)

As far as is there things I shouldnt wear : NOW I MEAN ME PERSONALLY
    ... Id say
    1. anything with a word printed across the whole butt of it...
    2. wrap around ANYTHING!
    3. anything Id see my BF grandaughter in (shes 9)
    4. something Id see on someone twice my age...

35 IS STILL YOUNG... I DONT HAVE TO DRESS LIKE A GRANDMA OR A GREAT GRANDMA IF I AM NOT ONE :flowerforyou:

33054435330093803812810.jpg
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    @ishallnotwant I think I love your grandmother and I hope you've inherited her spirit!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing hand-me-downs from my 21 year-old daughter for a couple of years now. After all, she does get her taste in clothing from me haha. So, skinny jeans, skirts or what-ever...if she says I look good in it...then I usually wear it. I guess I just refuse to succumb to my age :P
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've seen What Not to Wear...and there ARE some things I wouldn't wear at my age (will be 45 on Friday) such as:

- Tight miniskirts
    - Super tight skinny Jeans
    - Shirts showing midriff

But there are other things that I will wear that perhaps most my age would not:

- Miss Me Jeans
    - Sequined Uggs (I have the silver ones, they're awesome!)
    - ANYTHING with sparkle or glitter

I never want to look like I'm trying to be 20 again (trust me, I am not) but on the other hand I feel awesome at this stage in my life and enjoy my 'younger' clothing items (and really don't give a good shiz what others think about that).

30 somethings and beyond, do you always follow the fashion "rules" for your age?

I haven't read all the reply's but your post intrigued me. I, too, am 45 and according to my Mother (May she rest in peace) I have never dressed appropriately. When I was younger I dressed too old, now that I'm older I dress too young....

On the other hand, I do not dress inappropriately. I am not in my 20's or 30's nor do I want to be! But I do have fun with my wardrobe and I do add some flash/pizzazz/style, if you may. I am me, and that reflects in my entire attire, from my hair down to my glittery pink toes. I have some tasteful leggings that I can rock with a longer top/sweater/vest and I wear plenty of just above the knee skirts that are fun and flirty and different. Some days I am all Hippie, others I have an "edge" and others still, well, I guess one would call normal.

I remember being in my late 20's and early 30's and looking at some of the Mothers of my Son's classmates and I thought to myself, I will never be that old. And here I am. I am NOT that old.

Dress how you feel, girlfriend and freakin ROCK those glitter boots! I know I would!