Eggs VS Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• TMoni14
    TMoni14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The yolk is high in fat and cholesterol. If you were to eat eggs everyday, you're lipid panel would be abnormal because of all the cholesterol and fat consumption just from eggs. You can eat the whole egg just do it in moderation.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big egg whites person, but I switch to whole eggs. I eat about 2-3 whole eggs a day. The reason being:

Whole eggs taste better.
    I'm not worried about the cholesterol (I have very good cholesterol and tri numbers).
    A lot of good stuff in the yolk.
    Helps me reach my fat goals (52 grams minimum).
    I don't like wasting food. I went through 2 dozen eggs alone per week, by only eating whites.

The ONLY time I toss the yolk is whenI need protein with little calories to spare.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Personally I go back and forth with both. Usually during the week on days I can't make it to the gym I'll stick with just the whites, then on weekends I'll eat them with the yolk.

I started eating the egg whites when my doctor said my cholesterol was too high, but I was also eating other foods high in cholesterol too.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eggs really aren't that bad for you as long as you eat them in moderation. Two per day max (a rule I break every weekend!). I don't like just egg whites - I want the flavor of the yolks so I get whole eggs only.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yolks have the choline, lots of good stuff in them. whites-only give you more bang for the protein buck. I like to mix two whites + one egg for an omelette, have a whole egg fried in pan spray on a whole wheat muffin with reduced fat cheddar, tomato; generally I make sure to eat a whole egg at least a few times a week. And am then also happy to have whites-only. But there are good micronutrient benefits, so ifyou're not having three whole eggs every day with butter and bacon and stuff, it's worth having whole eggs a few times a week. And if you don't have a hereditary cholesterol issue or doctor's orders against it etc. etc.
  • gymbug813
    gymbug813 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just watch out for cholesterol with the whole eggs. I had switched to egg whites (like in a carton) but they are extremely hard to deal with and just don't really satisfy me. I could hardly ever get an omelet to flip because the consistency of the egg whites it just rubbery and sticky.
    I ended up switching to "liquid eggs". Apparently it is an egg substitute but I love them! They also come in a small carton. They have very little calories and no cholesterol plus it is very silky and not-at-all rubbery. I actually prefer it to regular eggs. They may the perfect omelet!! I would highly recommend liquid eggs!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Yes, the yolks are bad. All that's in them is fat and cholesterol. The whites are pure protein. I don't look at peoples diaries. I switch between oatmeal and egg whites. When I run in the morning, I want protein, when I don't run, I have oatmeal. That's probably backwards, but whatever. English muffins are not good for you, so I'd get rid of that habit. Maybe, if you really like them, save that for 'once in a while' or something.

Edited because yolks are not good for you. Just needed to reiterate that.

Egg Nutrition: Yolk vs. White

Egg yolks are indeed full of cholesterol. Like most cholesterol-rich foods, they are jam-packed full of important nutrients, especially the fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids.

In fact, the slew of nutrients in an egg yolk is so comprehensive that a few a day would offer better insurance than a multi-vitamin. Most importantly, the yolk contains most of the nutrients in an egg.

Egg whites, on the other hand, contain far fewer nutrients. The only thing that could justify their consumption is their attachment to their companion yolk.

:wink: I love egg yolks!!! I can't have them often tho' cause of my triglyceride level... :sad:
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I find that liquid egg whites are much more economical for me because I don't eat eggs fast enough before they go bad.

I just get the Walmart Great Value liquid egg whites

I cook 1/2 a cup in the microwave, add some garlic powder, minced onion, 1 TBS salsa, 4 pieces of low-sodium turkey bacon, 1 TBS of cheddar cheese and it comes out to 158 calories.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    another tip with egg whites: whisk in a little turmeric for color and added anti-inflammatory benefits. You can taste it, but only barely.
  • prose58
    prose58 Posts: 52
    Options
    I like both.

Egg creations makes a few different kind of egg white blends. I like the French toast one.
    However I still love a whole egg from time to time.
    If you already have high cholesterol count then skip the yolk.
    If not enjoy the whole thing.
    Lots of protein in them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for every 3 eggs i eat i'll eat 1 yolk. sometimes i'll eat 2 or 3, depends on how i'm feeling.

but the flavor is definitely in the yolk.

premade egg white is twice the price of buying a carton and separating it on your own. plus if you really hate wasting the yolk, you can use the yolks are your face as a mask. it's really good for your skin, especially if you have any blemishes or scarring
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    A Previous Poster:

Recent studies have shown that, in fact, those who eat whole eggs on a regular basis have lower levels of cholesterol than those who do not eat eggs or those who eat only egg whites. The fat in eggs (in the yolk) is primarily polyunsaturated fats and has been shown to lower serum (blood) cholesterol levels. Most studies have shown that only diets high in saturated fat lead to elevated cholesterol levels.

Not according to what I've read, or what is suggested here by the Mayo Clinic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

Depending on your cholesterol strategy, most doctors will have you either moderate or eliminate your consumption of egg yolks. As to "polyunsaturated fats" lowering cholesterol, most of these studies substituted polyunsaturated fats for saturated fats, so the accurate conclusion is not that polyunsaturated fats lower cholesterol but that polyunsaturated fats lower cholesterol if substituted for the same amount of saturated fats. In fact, all fats have been shown to raise cholesterol in those that are susceptible, even the so-called "good" fats. That doesn't mean you should eliminate them, but it does mean you have to watch them as part of a cholesterol friendly diet.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The yolk is high in fat and cholesterol. If you were to eat eggs everyday, you're lipid panel would be abnormal because of all the cholesterol and fat consumption just from eggs. You can eat the whole egg just do it in moderation.

Except that eggs w/yolk included are a staple in any low-carbers diet, yet most studies show their lipid panels improve on the diet. I eat 6 eggs a day sometimes, and while I haven't been tested, I can't imagine I'm any less healthy than before since I feel much better overall.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me the question is whether to eat the whites. :) I love egg yolks, and they fit into my diet quite nicely. The fat helps keep me full as well. Fat doesn't make you fat, eating to much makes you fat. So if the yolks fit into your calorie budget, rock and roll.

P.S. I am over the idea that any naturally raised food is bad for you. Eat food that comes out of the ground, or things that eat food that comes out of the ground. Lay off the processed crap and life will go well for you.
  • ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't care about costs. I buy the Egg White Beaters for convenience. At Walmart there is a handy-dandy little round microwave container (by the microwaves). I pour in about 1/4 cup for a minute in the microwave and when that's done, I sprinkle about Tbsp of shredded cheese while I toast an English Muffin. 185 calories, less money than McD's and tastier in my opinion.

At Waffle House they will make you an egg white wrap with bacon for less than 300 calories. (There I do leave off the cheese...)

Since I have been eating the whiltes I don't care for an egg anymore.
  • gaberieger
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. It is not worth the money (or nutritional deficit) to just eat whites. There is plenty of research out there (legitimate, not just conventional wisdom) that actually says the complete opposite. Yolks are the best for you and whites actually have hardly any nutritional value.

There are however, also, some legitimate points about cooking the yolk (heating it up) and oxidation - so take what you will from that "research".

I eat plenty of eggs, scrambled-fried-overeasy, etc. (haven't developed a taste for raw though some mention adding to protein shakes), and still seem to be doing fine on health and weight loss. Of course you don't want to eat 25 a day, unless raw (potentially) - but a few a day is no problem.

Good luck.
  • gaberieger
    Options
    Honestly for me the question is whether to eat the whites. :) I love egg yolks, and they fit into my diet quite nicely. The fat helps keep me full as well. Fat doesn't make you fat, eating to much makes you fat. So if the yolks fit into your calorie budget, rock and roll.

P.S. I am over the idea that any naturally raised food is bad for you. Eat food that comes out of the ground, or things that eat food that comes out of the ground. Lay off the processed crap and life will go well for you.
    This guy speaks the truth.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I eat 3-4 whole eggs sometimes (hard boiled). At 44 my cholesteral level is in teh 130s.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

That is purely theoretical and has been disproven in studies. Saturated fat and systemic inflammation are now considered the key causes.

Subjects were given 2 eggs a day and their cholesterol & lipid levels actually decreased!! They also lost more weight compared to the control group on an otherwise identical exercise and diet regimen. 2-3 eggs/day is absolutely safe. More are probably safe but it has not been subjected to rigorous study.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I change up eating yolks and not eating yolks. During the week I will usually have 1 egg and 2 egg whites scrambled with spinach and mushrooms. So yummy. On the weekens I will make scrambled eggs with the yolks for my whole family, and I always eat the yolks when I hard boil, fry, or poach them.

I limit my yolk intake because they do tend to have more cholesterol and calories than just the whites and I find that the whites fill me up just as well.