Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat and put away the damn sc

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.

Its just been posted a million times, its nothing against you. People start knawing their foot off trying to get away from hearing it. You wanna tackle another one people hate on here try eating back your calories burned.

bump
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    .... I feel like if you spend 20 minutes on these forums you'll pretty much figure out the basics, as well as learn who on here actually knows what they're talking about for the most part.
    TRUE.... there's a whole lot of misinformation being passed along on these boards, and people (especially newbies who don't have a lot of experience with any of this process) really need to be careful about which advice they take.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hah that makes me laugh too. Or the, "My muscles FEEL bigger, so I MUST be gaining muscle." Uhh, it's called water retention, your muscles do it when they're trying to repair themselves. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, I know lots of people on here are new to the whole diet/fitness thing, but I feel like if you spend 20 minutes on these forums you'll pretty much figure out the basics, as well as learn who on here actually knows what they're talking about for the most part.

At least you don't need to actually gain muscle to get stronger. :) For most of my adult life, I've been the stereotypical couch potato IT guy. I still weigh over 330 pounds, but I can do 30+ push-ups these days. When I started exercising, it was more like.... 3. :embarassed:
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Two of the biggest things on this forum that I see people always saying is that muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't. The other is the constant worrying about what the scale says. Throw the damn thing away.

First on the fat vs muscle weight myth:

Fat is bulky and lumpy so if you carry an extra five pounds of fat, you'll be lumpier than with five pounds more muscle. A five pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a five pound pile of muscle; but five pounds is still five pounds, so for those of you that don't "get it", you cannot say one thing weighing a certain weight weighs more than another thing at that same weight. It's a common joke to play on an 8-year old. The correct way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

Stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle? Simply seeing how much you weigh isn't very helpful.

Now onto the scale and how much you weigh:

Take measurements and put the scale away. The scale is just one tool out of the toolbox to use to track your progress, but in my opinion is probably the less helpful. The scale has a way of playing mind tricks on you and causing setbacks and hopelessness if you do not hit the number you "think you deserve" from all the exercise you are doing. There are so many factors tied into that number on the scale, that weighing nightly, daily, weekly, every two weeks can play significant emotional mind games with some people. Put the damn thing away and use it monthly to track your progress, if at all, if that number even means anything to you. It doesn't to me.

I gauge my success off how my clothes are fitting, my energy levels, and my overall outlook on life. Not some 3 digits on a scale.

If I am following the recommended caloric guidelines MFP has setup and trying to lower my body fat % by working out and exercising then the weight will come off.

And to end this rant, I will say that most of us here did not become overweight in a week. It took months, if not years of unhealthy living and diet. You cannot expect to lose it all in a week or a month. Stick to the guidelines, simplfy it, and you WILL see results. It's all mind over matter.

-Rant over

I love this. Well said!
  • kmkcl
    kmkcl Posts: 5
    Options
    Perfectly stated! Overall health and flexibility is key!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I have been trying to convince some of my MFP friends of this. These ladies work so hard and are so diligent and I'm so proud of them, but then they see a number they don't like on the scale and they get so down about it. I think they're such great people, and it breaks my heart.

Divorcing my happiness from a 3 digit number was one of the best things I've done for myself.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is very hard to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. I would guess the person made mistakes and maybe lost less inches, and they were new to strength training, as when you are new to lifting you can have "beginners gains". But after that you will actually lose muscle as you lose weight.

Ahhh. Beginner gains. I have never heard that term. Kewl. Something more to occupy my google time at work :)

Not true at all!!

Beginners gains isn't true? :( Damn.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

How much education do you need to know that 5lb is 5lb, no matter what's on the scale? This is as far as I have gotten with this thread, but I'll bet you haven't heard the end of how condescending you sound.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    yeah, tired of hearing that myth myself.......
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

I always say muscle weighs more than fat... BECAUSE...... Its easier to say rather than try to explain the reason why. Everyone is smart enough to know that a pound is a pound no matter what it is. BUT. You will look a lot smaller with more muscle than fat. Plain and simple. I'm not going to keep giving everyone this big essay. Its just easier. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think I am with the majority of people on this. When people say that a pound of muscle weighs more what they mean is it's important to measure yourself if you are weight training while losing weight as you may not see a difference on the scale butyou will see a difference in your measurements,

I kind of relate it to people who say they are going to unthaw something for supper....
  • Dangerdat
    Dangerdat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I eat a pound of fat is it the same thing as eating a pound of muscle? Am I being sarcastic?
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I have this argument all the time w/ friends who are dieting and exercising and not seeing a difference on the scale. 5lbs is 5lbs is 5lbs..... Some things are just less bulky:) Thank you!!!!
  • rdec1227
    rdec1227 Posts: 2
    Options
    Rant approved! thanks.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    u mad?
  • kvdiva1
    kvdiva1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with tracking progress via measurements. Scales tend to go up and down and they can't tell you how healthy you are. Also I'm sure when most people say muscle weighs more than fat they mean by volume. I have how ever heard a few people say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. That was off yahoo answers, I'm pretty sure they were like 15.

Either way, good post.
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well said. Thank you!!!
  • kvdiva1
    kvdiva1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options