Need to vent about food diaries.

Options
I know it's been a topic many times, but it drives me nuts when people comment on others' food diaries without actually opening them to see what the person is consuming. It's not necessarily good that they are under calories when they finish for the day. For instance, a posting on my wall showed me that a friend had completed their diary for today and was under their recommended calories. When I opened it to look at it (yes, I do that), all that was posted was their breakfast of about 300 + calories. I'm assuming they hit complete by accident. However, their other friends were saying 'That's great' or 'Way to go'. Did they even look at it? Positive reinforcement is great, but in my opinion, it's best when deserved. I don't think that you're helping someone if you're encouraging their bad habits.

Staying close or within your calorie goals is great, but I think it's also important to consider how far under your goal and what your diary is consisting of. If the majority of your diary is still junk food, only less junk food than you normally eat, you may lose weight but your not taking care of your body. I think a big part of a major weight loss and keeping it off is changing our relationship with food.

I am trying to lose quite a bit of weight. I know that in order to accomplish this I have to change how I think about food and what I've been eating. These are things that made me overweight. It's hard. I'm not perfect. I ate crap food for a long time. I still do occasionally. Unfortunately, I still have cravings for it, but I'm trying to change that. I'm trying to replace most of my bad habits with better ones. I also know that I need to continue to improve upon what I'm currently doing. When I do opt for something less healthy, I really try to consider how this will fit into my day or what I can do to burn the extra calories. I also know that it's my choice to consume these things, therefore I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I'm just going to try to do better next time. I'm a food-obsessed person, but I unless I make these changes I will continue on the same miserable path that I've been on for a long time.

Right now, I don't usually comment on someone's diary if I feel like what they're eating isn't helping them. It's hard to tell someone that they need to change. Maybe this is not helpful, but who am I to judge?

I want to see my friends succeed as much as I want to succeed. But in the end, we are only responsible for ourselves.

This is the end of my complaining.

Replies

• MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Ok. Just one more complaint. I hate when I don't catch my grammatical errors before posting.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You can edit your post.
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • MNA76
    Options
    You can edit your post.

Good call. That would probably be what the word EDIT is there for. ; )
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better now? :flowerforyou:
  • MNA76
    Options

Much better. Thank you. I feel about 3 lbs lighter.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I ate a whole bunch of protein last week, but then I chased it with a bunch of fiber and lots of water.

The next day, after my morning constitutional, I didn't just *feel* 5 pounds lighter, I *was* 5 pounds lighter.

:)
  • MNA76
    Options
    Fiber has been known to do that.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Hot air.
  • MNA76
    Options
    Yep. Just trying to do my part for global warming.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i hate food diaries in general. Most of the time i'm using the mobile app so i cant view their diaries but i want to provide feedback so i just add a comment, although when i can view it and see they ate bad food i also comment on those days. I personally struggle with typing in my food daily. Either I'll get in breakfast or lunch but then forget dinner. Its been hard for me to get back on track.
  • MNA76
    Options
    I choose to publish mine because it helps me be accountable. If I know that someone is going to be looking at it, I'm less likely to eat junk (even though I want to).
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I can't necessarily see the food diaries on my phone so I can see why a lot of people give support before critiquing. But I can see how that would get annoying, especially when those blanket comments support someone who's in starvation mode.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I choose to publish mine because it helps me be accountable. If I know that someone is going to be looking at it, I'm less likely to eat junk (even though I want to).

I am finding the same thing. Having it all public keeps me from cheating.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I really wish that instead it published 'X completed their food diary and was within 10% of calorie goal for the day!' or something similar.

I would much rather be +5 calories than -500.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Guilty. I dont always read everyone's diary but I do try to comment as often as I can with some kind of words of support. I never thought about it from the angle you are suggesting.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

You would have felt even better if you had written this privately. Oh, wait. WE would have felt better.

• MNA76
    Options

You would have felt even better if you had written this privately. Oh, wait. WE would have felt better.

You chose to read it. You could have passed on opening it. Your problem. Not mine.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I really wish that instead it published 'X completed their food diary and was within 10% of calorie goal for the day!' or something similar.

This is an excellent idea. You should post this as a suggestion.
  • MNA76
    Options

This is an excellent idea. You should post this as a suggestion.

I totally agree. Also, Juwaack68 - I saw your post in the Success Stories forum and WOW!! Stories like yours help so much when I'm losing motivation.