Working full time AND working out?

Options

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you, you will find time to do it. I normally exercise when I wake up before I eat breakfast. I find it easier to get up early than to try to squeeze it in at night. Helps me stay energized for the day.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie

I'm 47 and know exactly what you mean about gettinh home exhausted!!

The only way I can manage is to get up early and do an hour at the gym every morning before work. I know the idea of getting up so early hurts, especially on these cold mornings, but I promise you when you arrive at work having worked out, filled with endorphins and freshly showered, the day somehow sems to go better!

Good luck

Paul

This.
  • erv78
    erv78 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yup, it's about habits and priorities. I get up earlier in the morning so I can run or walk or do some other workout. I find that it makes a huge difference to my energy level and mood, so it is worth sacrificing some sleep (or going to bed earlier) to get that extra boost to my day.
    The other thiing that might help is to do some research into exercise options that you enjoy that only take 30 mins or so. When you have all day to fill, you can afford to hang out in the gym and do classes and routines that take an hour or more but its really not essential.
    For example, you can get a great workout in a half hour run if you throw in some intervals. Or, I know there are a bunch of workout DVD's out there than take 30 mins or less. Or read up on Tabata workouts - short and sharp and apparently very effective.
    This is great advice.
  • andreinhaw
    Options
    I also work full time and have a 5 year old! I cook dinner for my family at least 4 times a week. I don't make it to the gym every single day, because some days when my husband is really busy I have to pick up my son from school. So I go home and start dinner and while doing that, I either do a P90X video or Insanity. And it work really good! they are no more than 1 hr, and it fits my busy schedule just fine!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've found that I seem to have PLENTY of time to waste in front of the TV. So for awhile, I wouldn't allow myself to turn it on until after I'd returned home from my workout. I told myself that I didn't *have* to go to the gym, but if I didn't, I couldn't turn on the TV all evening. It's amazing how motivating being bored stiff can be.......:smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and do it anyway. Some days it gets easier, some days it's tough.

You're 18 so presumably you're living with family, so you don't have to take on the full burden of cooking, washing up, dusting, washing, decorating, ironing, vacuuming, gardening, bill paying, car maintenance, food shopping and house renovations and all the other adult stuff that sucks time out of your life.

I live on my own and still manage to do all that and work full time and make time to exercise 3-5 days a week.

How I do it is by setting a time to go to the gym every week, and not seeing it as optional. It's like part of my work day. I don't get to choose whether or not I go to work, nor do I get to choose whether or not I go to the gym. It's just what I do.

EDITED TO ADD:
    I've found that I seem to have PLENTY of time to waste in front of the TV.
    Yes, so many people say they don't have time to do "XYZ" that they'd love to do, yet they watch TV for hours every evening. I haven't switched my TV on for nearly two years now, don't miss it at all, and I'm enjoying actually having a life of my own instead of watching other people's! :smile:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I work 30 hours a week in my career, am a full time grad student, and a father of two and I am adjusting my schedule to work out. If I can do it, so can you!
  • paigeleigh417
    Options
    You have to want it! It eventually just becomes something you're used to and a part of your daily life. I'm 18 as well and I work full time and go to school full time. It's tough at first but once it becomes a habit, you just don't even have to think about it anymore. I wake up at 5:30 AM every single day and never have a day off because the 2 days I do have off of work, I spend at school! I walk/jog at least 3 miles a night and do Turbo Fire (a cardio kickboxing program). Just get your mind set and you can do it!! :)
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - finished uni last year - now working 9-5 in central london with an hour commute either side - I'm knackered by the end of the day. If I have nothing on in the evening, I bring my gym kit to work so I can go to the gym on my way home for an hour - its tiring, but i make sure i bring a snack to eat on the train home so that im not dying at this point.

Ive just started the turbo fire workouts which are great and its convenient for me to have something to do at home that really makes me work as i can be so lazy after a long day at work.

i've mostly survived due to carful planning of meals - i make sure i pack my lunch the night before and get up early enough to make my own breakfast and have something healthy for tea too.

just try and get into a routine - it can sem daunting but youll be surprised at what you can get used to doing!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person and with 10 hour days and full time school online, I workout in the evenings on the days I work and try for earlier times the days I dont. This is a big reason why I like intense DVD's (like Jillian Michaels) that are short with a huge burn.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a single, full time working mom. I do Jillian's 30 day shred. It's 20 minutes. I know there are people even busier than you and I that work out. You just have to try to find time.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I work 8am - 4:30pm 5 days a week, and I get up at 6am 3 days a week to workout before work.

I also walk to/from work when I can.

I used to work out in the evenings after work, but most of the time I just wanted to skip it and relax for the evening.

You just have to put your mind to it, and make time for it. If it's important to you, you will. Good luck!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Get up early every morning... its hard at first but after two weeks its not bad. If you work out first thing in the morning you'll likely have more energy through out the day. I also workout over my lunch hour. Even a good walk around the block can help you have more energy and burn some calories.
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I look at going to the gym as my 2nd job. I work 8:30am to 5:30pm, then head straight to the gym M-F (sometimes I take a day off), get home around 7:30pm, eat dinner, unwind, take a shower and repeat the same thing the next day. I usually take the weekends off, once in a while I go one day of the weekend.

It is annoying sometimes, but if I want the results I have to do it and I have to think of it as a 2nd job that I *have* to go to.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I work two jobs and am a single mom of a teenager! You HAVE to find the time! I power walk 4 nights a week with Leslie Sansone DVD and use this site to track my food and exercise! You can do it!!!:smile:
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    If you really want it then you will find the time to do it. It isnt going to be easy but if you want it youll find the time.. I work monday thur friday 12 hour shifts and go to school full time and teach zumba class twice a week at the fitness place in town and we have two kids and all there activites and still find time to workout and clean the house and make supper and etc. It is not easy but if you really want to lose weight you have to be determined and not make any excuses and make the time workout and eat right. On the days i dont teach zumba..I will either get up early before the kids get up and workout or I will do it after that bath's are done at night and they are in bed. Winter is kinda harder but during the summer ill put the 2 year old into the weagon and the 5 year old will find his bike all 4 miles. Good luck and im sure youll find something that works best for you.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find balance, but trust me, there will always be some excuse not to.

I have to schedule it into my day just like any other must-do obligation or meeting. Morning workouts are my only sure-fire way to get them in - too many other things (including just being plain tired) come up after work.

You can also break up your workouts. No one ever said it has to be an hour at a time. 20 minutes in the morning, at lunch, and right when you get home ... boom. :wink:
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 to workout and get ready for work at 7:15, then work until 5 or 5:30 and hit the Gym again, after which I go home, shower, and essentially die, AKA go to sleep... I just know that not going it NOT an option... I just push myself and tell myself, "I may burn another couple of pounds this week, I have to do this!!"

Best of Luck!!

: ))
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    If you want something bad enough, you make it work. I have a full time job, am a full time grad student, a single mother of a 2 year old boy and I work out minimum of an hour a day. Without my gym time I would be STRESSED!! It helps keep me focused and driven.
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I have 4 kids (ages 5.5 to 5 months), I work full time, and I am in grad school.

I am exhausted most days.

If I dont get out of bed at 0545 to do it, then I force myself to do it at night...I either take the kids downstairs with me or wait until they go to bed.

I didnt get out of bed this morning, so I need to fit it in tonight. On top of homework. But its almost so routine now, that if I dont do it, I will feel guilty!

Good luck!