Working full time AND working out?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Time management.

I work full time, have a 5 year old in tee ball, and have a boyfriend. Plus friends, family, etc. It takes some really good organization and time management, but it can be done! Plus, your diet has a TON to do with it. The better you fuel your body= the more energy you'll have to hit the gym.

My average weekday looks a little something like this:

Wake up at 6, get myself ready for work, get my son ready for school, gather my lunch/snacks for the day, grab breakfast (and a cup of coffee) and get out the door by 7:30. Work all day until 4:30 or 5. Head to pick up my son from school (he is in pre-k, awesome program where they provide breakfast, lunch, and a snack). Give him a snack in the car (and eat a snack myself) then straight to the gym. Workout for about an hour to an hour and a half, head home, fix dinner, eat, get my son bathed and ready for bed, shower , spend a little time with the bf, and go to bed by around 10 or so.

Things that help: batch cooking meals ahead of time so it takes 10 minutes to heat up dinner for my family of 3, preparing meals and snacks for the next day so I just have to grab them in the morning, packing my gym bag the night before, laying out my clothes for work (and my son's school clothes) the night before, planning my workouts so I know exactly what I'm going to do the second I get to the gym.

I also make adjustments for when my son's got practice or a game after school, or if a friend wants to have happy hour, or whatever. Planning ahead is SO important.

When I was a kid my mom worked full time, was in graduate school, taught aerobics classes on the side, exercised every day and I still had dinner on the table every night, help with my homework, and she never missed a dance recital. I don't know if I'm as kick *kitten* as she is, but it CAN be done :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I work full time..I also have 2 daughters who need my attention and whom I cook for almost every night...yet I find the time to work out. Its weird..if I dont workout..I am exhausted..but if I do..I am energized...try it...
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posts; if you want to do it you will.
    Last year I worked out every day for 11 months, having a full time job, which was an hours drive from my home, running a household with a 4 year old daughter. I made it fit in, eventhough I normally wouldn't sit down and relax until 11pm at night, ready to be up for 6.00am the next morning.

When I started dieting again in January I chose not to do the same level of exercise and I am loving my 'free time'. I now exercise every Saturday morning and make an efford to walk places as much as possible in the week. I am still losing the weight, as I am stricter on my calorie intake.

However, if you been out of a job for some time, and suddenly work full time, I can imagine you are tired at the end of a working day.

I'd suggest; if you want to exercise more, build it up gently. Start with half an hour 2 nights a week, and build it up. I think you will find that once you start the exercise will give you new energy- making you less tired at work and after work.

Good luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I work 10 hour days - and work out just about every day - I plan for it - and make it happen.....

How? I pack my gym bag every night, and my food / snacks for the day every morning, and leave the house looking like a pack donkey.....

I go to work, make sure I eat enough during the day - including a good snack about an hour before I leave the office, and then go to the gym straight from work (I do not allow my mind to play game with me - I go regardless whether I feel tired, stressed etc)

Once I get to the gym I love it - and am sooooo glad I went....

I have a reasonably active social life - but my friends now know I am not available before 8:30pm for dinner, movies etc - and again that is non-negotiable....

If you want it bad enough plan for it, and don't make excuses why you can't - find ways that you can!!

I saw this in a video the other day : "I am Determined, Dedicated and Disciplined to be fit" - Ernestine Sheppard ..... do yourself a favour - look her up on youtube!!
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work seriously unpredictable hours but I've found that it's easier to just fit in the workouts around it where ever I can, it helps that I mostly exercise at home or go running nearby, no matter how tired I am I know that I'll feel better after the workout, you can find the time, you just need to find where the exercise fits...
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, work full time (just one "paid" job with a hour commute...I'm also "unpaid" Mom to three girls 16,12 and 2 and one boy "Hubby" 47). I find if I don't work out in the morning I most likely won't... sometimes I run with my husband in the evening, but if I want to do anything else it's up and at 'em at 5am!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job, I'm married, I have a child, I volunteer, and I have a social life. And....I work out 5-7 times a week. It's about priorities.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you want it, you make it happen.

Make sure you are getting good sleep. Eat a big breakfast and eat a good lunch. You should have more energy after work. Be excited when you are leaving work. It will increase positive energy so you can get in a workout. Don't go home before you go to the gym. It's hard to leave the comfort zone once you are there.

Good luck.

BC
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 7 year old. I don't work out until she is in bed (so usually not until 9pm). One thing that helps me is putting my workout clothes on when I get home. The success I have had definitely keeps me motivated to keep working out. Once you get started and get into a routine, it becomes easier.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    No one really feels like they have enough time in the day. I know someone who literally sits on the couch ALL day watching Netflix but still turns around and says, "I have no time for that." :huh:
    It's all about priorities. Choose yours and you'll be amazed at how much you can get done.
    Best wishes!!
  • amandamickey
    Options
    The best recommendation that I have for this is getting into a ROUTINE (probably the hardest part). After that is established, it will be a piece of cake to keep it up.

I work 9-6 and bring my gym bag with me so that I go directly from work to the gym.....I know as soon as I set foot into my house after work I most likely won't leave again until the next morning when I have to go to work! Granted, there are definitely times that I don't want to go workout right after work, but I force myself to do it and after a great workout I am so glad that I pushed myself! It all comes down to desire to get fit/healthy and not making excuses to slip back into old and unhealthy habits.

Maybe try to aim for working out 2-3 times a week to begin with, and after you get a regular routine with that, you could up it if you'd like? Just a suggestion :)
  • rrodnic2012
    rrodnic2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you work out regularly, even if it's only 30 minutes a day, your energy levels will build. You will find it easier to keep going back to workouts, and will be more alert during the day. Also, if you wake up 30 minutes earlier, and at least do cardio in the morning, you'll find you feel better, more awake and alert, when you get to work. Try it for a week - I bet you'll like it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up and do it. Sometimes I end up working out at 9 or 10pm then eating dinner at 11:30. Whatever you need to do to get it done.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Just get it done. Seriously. I work full time, have a family to take care of, and I make time for it. You can, too.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I work full time and my job requires business travel. I am married and have a child. I do all the cooking for my family and we eat together every night.

And still I find time to work out.

Priorities... if it's important you'll make time. I'm sure there is plenty of TV watching, book reading or telephone chatting that can be eliminated in order to invest in your health.

Welcome to being a grown up, darling.

:flowerforyou:
  • jadashute08
    jadashute08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've found that I seem to have PLENTY of time to waste in front of the TV. So for awhile, I wouldn't allow myself to turn it on until after I'd returned home from my workout. I told myself that I didn't *have* to go to the gym, but if I didn't, I couldn't turn on the TV all evening. It's amazing how motivating being bored stiff can be.......

OMG this is exactly what I do!!! No TV until I workout... I miss alot of my shows but oh well I am getting healthy!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple...DO IT.
    Stop making excuses. Eat better, make the right choices.

edit: I'm a widower father with 2 kids, work 40+ hours a week....THERE ARE NO EXCUSES.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    You gotta want it and you have to learn to do multiple things at once (multi-task). I work 2 jobs, have 3 kids, a partner, run a website, and several hobbies, such as gardening, sewing, beading, and gaming. Oh and I work out 6 days a week. And sleep a minimum of 6 hours per night.

There is very little TV, no sitting around navel-gazing, or sleeping until noon.

Typical schedule:

Get up, dress, get child up
    Pack lunches, eat breakfast
    Drop child at school, drive to work
    Work 8 hours
    Home, some days pick up kid, some days partner does
    Work 2nd job while simultaneously helping child with homework, babysitting grandson, cooking dinner, and corraling teenagers.
    Off to gym for 60-90 minutes
    Home and get child bath/bed
    Shower, more 2nd job, and website work
    Head to bed at 11 and time for 1 TV show or some reading
    Sleep at midnight

Weekends are errends and chores and more workouts with hobbies squeezed in there.

When I was 25, I would have wondered where the nap, the mindless tv watching and the partying was in that schedule. My priorities now are children, partner, fitness/health and work. Everything else is bonus.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    1. Put it on your calendar. You write everything else in? Why not working out. I put my workouts in my phone and my work calendar. All those reminders are hard to ignore.

2. Like many of the other posters have said, bring your workout gear to work with you! If I go home, I never get back out to the gym. But if I just stop on the way home and get it out of the way, it's much easier.

3. Trying splitting your workouts. Maybe do 30 min. or stretching and walking in the morning, or a short workout DVD you can do right at home, and then do 30 minutes of strength training at night. Breaking it up might work better for you. It's hard to get up an extra hour early, but less difficult to get up 30 minuets early.

4. Try to make friends at work who are into fitness, then plan to workout at lunch. Every Thursday I walk 30 min with the HR ladies at my office. It's a nice way to relieve stress at work and also meet new people in the office.

5. Look for workout buddies outside of work. It's much harder to skip out on your workout when you have plans to meet someone at the gym. It helps keep you accountable. I am shy and have trouble making friends, do I just started going to the same class every week at my gym. Once I figured out who the regulars were, I just went up, introduced myself, and if they seem receptive, see if they want to meet for a workout. I e-mail back and forth with some of these people about working out too, it's another way to stay motivated.

6. Ask your current friends if they have any fitness goals. You don't even have to workout with them, you can just promise each other you'll each workout say 3 times a week, and then check up on each other.

I've heard it takes at least 2 weeks for your body to adjust to a new schedule. Just keep reminding yourself that IT WILL GET EASIER.
  • 00Steph
    00Steph Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm a single mom, work full time, and work out regularly.
    For me its not how to fit fitness into my life. But how to arrange my life around the fitness.

I love your saying, For me its not how to fit fitness into my life. But how to arrange my life around the fitness, it might just be my new mantra! Thank you.