"Loosing" vs. "Losing" - read & save my sanity!

Replies

• Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    "Let's eat Grandpa"
    "Let's eat, Grandpa"

Grammar it can save lives.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kirsty7Fraser
    Kirsty7Fraser Posts: 55 Member
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

Well said :flowerforyou:
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    I think it's our language. "Choose" looks like it rhymes with "loose", so I think many get mixed up in saying loose vs lose.
    A word like clues doesn't look like it would rhyme with lose. Maybe we should spell lose like lues. ha
    Close looks like it rhymes with lose, but it doesn't. So back to the mix up of spelling loose instead of lose.

I didn't realize how confusing our language was until I was helping a lady at work with her english homework. English isn't her first language and she's taking classes. Not just for spelling words, but the way we put sentences together. There's no pattern in some instances, it's just the way we do it. Very hard to teach someone why when there isn't a set rule as to why. In some cases you say it this way, but others not. Very confusing!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    I think it's our language. "Choose" looks like it rhymes with "loose", so I think many get mixed up in saying loose vs lose.
    A word like clues doesn't look like it would rhyme with lose. Maybe we should spell lose like lues. ha
    Close looks like it rhymes with lose, but it doesn't. So back to the mix up of spelling loose instead of lose.

I didn't realize how confusing our language was until I was helping a lady at work with her english homework. English isn't her first language and she's taking classes. Not just for spelling words, but the way we put sentences together. There's no pattern in some instances, it's just the way we do it. Very hard to teach someone why when there isn't a set rule as to why. In some cases you say it this way, but others not. Very confusing!

Indeed-- read the following words:

Through

Tough

Cough

Bough

Though

Same ending in all five words-- totally different pronunciation. It's madness.

Shaming people, though, for their spelling and grammar, however, is bad form. These threads always infuriate me at the pompousness of the individual to start such nonsense. How can we expect our children to use manners when adults don't?
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Personally I think its just the way the English language is evolving. If you read newspapers from 100 years back, the language used then has changed a lot. As forms of communication change, with the advent of text messaging, twittter, email etc, the written word is probably evolving faster than it ever has. Words and phrases that were once only common in certain areas have become global, words take different meanings, others are used less often. I don't get why people get upset about grammar and spelling. To me, its just a form of snobbery. As long as I can understand what they are trying to say, I'm good with that. Not everyone is great at putting words down on paper, some people may find it difficult to read and write, so pulling them up on it may make them less likely to post, because they don't want someone nit picking over an out of place apostrophe, or a misspelled word.

Well said :flowerforyou:

The problem is when it makes it so much more difficult to read and comprehend.

There are so many time I have to read and re-read posts to try and work out what the poster meant to say.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Glad to see I'm not the only Grammar Nazi on board.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Spend time on any public forum and you'll see why the United States keeps lagging more and more behind in education.
    Folks can call it snobbery but it's symptomatic of something much more troubling.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Alltho mispelled werds anoy mi two, it is aginst the TOS two put peeple down four it. Don't swet the smawl stough. :)
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Sad thing is that you can't even call it laziness when the person is typing extra letters.

Text shorthand drives me nuts BTW (lol) *quick smack to the forehead*

Arghhh.

You have got to wonder if you are still right if everybody else is wrong?

:tongue:
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Also a quiet grammar Nazi. Also dislike text speak. And LOLcat speak other than on LOLcats. Language is a tool and tools should be utilized properly or not wielded at all. If I ever make an error, I like to know about it.
    However, I do like made-up words.
    I don't like the way language seems to be "evolving" as certain professors of language have stated that text speak is an indicator of what is to become of the English language; to me this seems to encourage laziness and error. What's the point of education if we don't actually learn? I'm all for moving forward but lines have to be drawn.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Sometimes I think we might as well just give up the english language all together and learn to speak spanish. I only say this because it is almost a crime where I live in Texas not to speak spanish. The schools discrimanate against kids that don't know it and jobs are reserved for those that can speak spanish. I personally think it should be the other way around.
  • zilchie
    zilchie Posts: 10 Member
    "Loosing" drives me crazy too!
    But so does not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're." I guess that one doesn't bother you.:wink:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your *kitten* and knowing you're *kitten*.

lmao!
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    The correct spelling of something doesn't 'cost' anything, only a text message can be spelt the 'wrong' way, IMO the school system is to blame for not correcting mistakes
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    I have to confess, the "loosing" vs "losing" does bug the living daylights out of me. I'm a professional technical writer and editor. It's really hard for me not to notice things like that in a post. There are a ton of other grammar issues that irritate me as well. But you know what? It's a message board. So I just suck it up and ignore it. It's not the time or place to correct that sort of thing. If I tried to do that here I'd have time for nothing else. Not to mention I'd get flamed back constantly! If something is written so poorly that I can't understand it, that's different. Then I just stop reading it and move on to something else.

Otherwise, my way of dealing with it is to simply not try at all to keep my own grammar in line. I hope I've succeed in failing in this post, too. :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    lose.png
  • Novikay
    Novikay Posts: 62
    They're, there, their.

Your, you're.

Then, than.

General lack of punctuation.

Text speak.. Except for "lol" as it's a generic happy phrase.

Lack of capitals at the beginning of sentences, and lack of capitals for words like "I"

Lack of apostrophes.

Stationary, stationery.

Specific, Pacific.

Bad spelling overall.

I am a grammar nerd and spend most time correcting people.

I'm sure there are many, many more!

I totally agree! I work as an editor, and this stuff drives me nuts!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    money is already plural. it is a plural noun.

one would not say "I have 1 money." or "I have 2 monies."

I beg to differ! I know someone who says this all the time, in fact every time she talks about money...
    Ofc she's my 3 year old :) It's only cute when you're a toddler folks! Lol.

That being said I try not to grammar police the internet. I am very well read and excellent with grammar, spelling etc. However, online, at times, I do just splurt (that's right, i said splurt) out some kind of post with not a care as to whether it's grammatically sound lol. In a rush I have been known to say there when I meant their and also use alot when typing online, but do realize it isn't spelled correctly. It's the internet, not an English mid-term! Just try to make it somewhat understandable and i'm happy! :P
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Sometimes... it's just a typo.

I know the difference between loosing and losing, they're, their, and there, alot and a lot, and all the other things people that make people grumpy, but my fingers work faster than my brain, sometimes, and their ends up on paper when I mean there and so forth.

PS. I was going to edit "people that make people grumpy" so that it said "that make people grumpy", but then I thought it was really funny to have a horrid mis-phrasing of words on a thread dedicated to grammar and correct word choice :D
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Sometimes... it's just a typo.

I know the difference between loosing and losing, they're, their, and there, alot and a lot, and all the other things people that make people grumpy, but my fingers work faster than my brain, sometimes, and their ends up on paper when I mean there and so forth.

PS. I was going to edit "people that make people grumpy" so that it said "that make people grumpy", but then I thought it was really funny to have a horrid mis-phrasing of words on a thread dedicated to grammar and correct word choice :D

By the way, "alot" isn't a word unless its spelt "allot" which means to allocate something.

Couldn't help it after reading through all of this.. Sorry! :laugh: