too full to eat my cals

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Donna,

Have a read of this - It may answer some questions, especially the reasons you aren't hungry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I just read through the posts, and I would like to comment on one thing in particular. I am similar to you as I have issues with control regarding specific foods. It is easier for me to go without than it is for me to eat them in moderation. It is difficult for me to give myself 'cheat days' or treats because I find myself slipping off my diet when I do that. It's easier just to be super strict. I certainly don't know if it's the same for you, but I imagine it's at least similar.

That degree of rigor brings with it its own problems though, and I know this from experience. One of my weaknesses is crumbs cupcakes. They're between 450 and 550 calories a pop, and are basically the greatest things in the world (if you live in NYC and disagree with me you're a heathen!!!!) I have trouble controlling myself when it comes to them, even though it would be perfectly reasonable in my diet to have them once in a while. The problem is, that with completely cutting them out, if I have a moment of weakness right now I'm more likely to eat 6 of them and go into a sugar coma than to just have 1. If I had planned in the single cupcake, and been strict about it, I would've been just fine. The point I'm making is, its not the cupcakes that were the problem, it was the calories from overeating those cupcakes.

If you do have issues with cheese or butter that's fine, but please reconsider your position that fat is what got you to where you're at. An excess of calories from eating too much is what did it. Whether it was from fatty foods or whatever really doesn't matter, it just so happens that fat is more calorie dense than protein or carbs, so it's easier to get high calorie counts with it. Fat, in moderation of course, is really quite good for you.

If you're having issues with fullness in reaching your calorie minimum, high fat foods will help you (nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, oil, etc). Increasing intake gradually is also worthwhile so that your body has time to adapt to the new quantity is also a wise choice. Once you get to a healthier intake level, I think you'll find that you have more energy and just feel better overall than you did previously. It really does help with performance. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh and definitely work to increase water intake. If you hate the taste it doesn't have to be plain water, you can make tea or drink juice or whatever, but the hydration will help a lot as well.
  • sg1982
    sg1982 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    With this thing of 8 glasses of water... Sometimes I also fell too full to eat all my calories.

I feel I am always full of water. Drinking so much water, I don't feel hungry like b4, so what happen I eat less.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Donna,

Have a read of this - It may answer some questions, especially the reasons you aren't hungry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Thanks so much for that link :) it makes allot of sense ... The bit about the "binge" got me ... how she was only just reaching 1200 with the "binge" and here was me thinking yay I hit my cals today and I hope I can do it tomorrow lol ... yet the next day id be away down to 800 and struggling to eat again, Im just hoping that these few items I'M buying in will help me hit my 1200 on a reg basis :) Thanks again :D:D:flowerforyou:

Im lucky in the fact that I am losing weight on my cal intake, but thats poss cause Ive only started back on my diet in the last 10 days :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I cycle commute about 11 miles a day and struggle to eat back my cals with been healthy, it just doesnt make sense to force food just to make up the numbers.

Just to make the numbers? No, it doesn't make sense.

To get good nutrition and the results you want? Then it makes perfect sense.

Please read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

Cliffnotes version: I used to eat very little and while I did lose weight and got to my weight loss goal, I didn't look and feel as good as I did getting to that same goal eating literally twice as much. Photos in the thread illustrate that point perfectly.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I just read through the posts, and I would like to comment on one thing in particular. I am similar to you as I have issues with control regarding specific foods. It is easier for me to go without than it is for me to eat them in moderation. It is difficult for me to give myself 'cheat days' or treats because I find myself slipping off my diet when I do that. It's easier just to be super strict. I certainly don't know if it's the same for you, but I imagine it's at least similar.

That degree of rigor brings with it its own problems though, and I know this from experience. One of my weaknesses is crumbs cupcakes. They're between 450 and 550 calories a pop, and are basically the greatest things in the world (if you live in NYC and disagree with me you're a heathen!!!!) I have trouble controlling myself when it comes to them, even though it would be perfectly reasonable in my diet to have them once in a while. The problem is, that with completely cutting them out, if I have a moment of weakness right now I'm more likely to eat 6 of them and go into a sugar coma than to just have 1. If I had planned in the single cupcake, and been strict about it, I would've been just fine. The point I'm making is, its not the cupcakes that were the problem, it was the calories from overeating those cupcakes.

If you do have issues with cheese or butter that's fine, but please reconsider your position that fat is what got you to where you're at. An excess of calories from eating too much is what did it. Whether it was from fatty foods or whatever really doesn't matter, it just so happens that fat is more calorie dense than protein or carbs, so it's easier to get high calorie counts with it. Fat, in moderation of course, is really quite good for you.

If you're having issues with fullness in reaching your calorie minimum, high fat foods will help you (nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, oil, etc). Increasing intake gradually is also worthwhile so that your body has time to adapt to the new quantity is also a wise choice. Once you get to a healthier intake level, I think you'll find that you have more energy and just feel better overall than you did previously. It really does help with performance. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh and definitely work to increase water intake. If you hate the taste it doesn't have to be plain water, you can make tea or drink juice or whatever, but the hydration will help a lot as well.

Ill certainly be doing all the things you have suggested at the bottom of your post, the nuts n things, I do OK with the water I thought I tend to reach 6-8 cups a day (unless that should be more? ) also increasing gradually the cals (unless the nut/seed mix works for me) in which case I will go directly to 1200 cals :laugh:

I gained my initial weight from getting a pill injection (it does happen :( ) ... I was a size 8-10 in my early 20's (after my first child) Then at 24 after I had my 2nd child, I got the pill injection and ballooned up to an 18 within 6 months of my first jab, coincidence hmmmm Im skeptical lol

I have never been a "big eater" although I prob made up allot of cals with cheese and crackers :blushing: like you say allot of cals for a little food

I would have said I don't binge eat either, BUT, after reading the article from the last poster I cant in all truthfulness say that :O:O... as you know I struggle to reach 1200 cals .... I am always trying so when I manage to reach it I think yay I made it ... and the next day Im back to 800 cause Im too full to eat .... so if you can count that as a binge then Im guilty lol ......:blushing:

Ill see how I get on after my shop tonight :D hopefully ill reach my target cals as easy as that :happy:

Thanks and good luck with your own loss :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    With this thing of 8 glasses of water... Sometimes I also fell too full to eat all my calories.

I feel I am always full of water. Drinking so much water, I don't feel hungry like b4, so what happen I eat less.

hmmm ... this might be one of the contributing factors here :) thatnk thats a very good point :happy:
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I cycle commute about 11 miles a day and struggle to eat back my cals with been healthy, it just doesnt make sense to force food just to make up the numbers.

Just to make the numbers? No, it doesn't make sense.

To get good nutrition and the results you want? Then it makes perfect sense.

Please read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

Cliffnotes version: I used to eat very little and while I did lose weight and got to my weight loss goal, I didn't look and feel as good as I did getting to that same goal eating literally twice as much. Photos in the thread illustrate that point perfectly.

Thanks for that ... My issue it upping the cals without the horrible bloated full feeling that makes me feel ill lol, but Ive had loads of great responses to this thread :D so maybe this time next week ill have gained :( ill need to work it all off on the rowing machine I guess lol
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this thread have the same issue, they lost several pounds and then hit a wall. Their bodies stopped losing because they got used to eating so little. Even though its sounds weird see what they're saying and maybe try eating more, slowly. Some people in here have lost a lot of weight doing it and they get to eat more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    A lot of people on this thread have the same issue, they lost several pounds and then hit a wall. Their bodies stopped losing because they got used to eating so little. Even though its sounds weird see what they're saying and maybe try eating more, slowly. Some people in here have lost a lot of weight doing it and they get to eat more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Yeah Ive heard this can be an issue hence my initial post Im a slow eater anyway ... I just dont eat unless im hungry and it was getting to the point I was never hungry so when I did eat I was feeling bloated .... I have a stoopid body lol
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Can I just say a big Thanks to everyone on this thread who has taken their time to answer my post, I went shopping today and bought 3 types of seeds 3 types of nuts and 2 bags of dried fruits, I have today for the first time gotten to over 1100 cals without a struggle ... all I added was 30g of island mix worth 100 cals :D ... (thats cubes of dried fruit ... papya, apricots and pineapple)

Thanks again you have been so much help .. its very much appreciated :flowerforyou:

edit
    tescos didnt have any avocados :((
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm confused by your food the day before making you too full the next day to eat your calories. I wouldn't think the body would work so slowly, especially on a low calorie diet. I would consult a doctor about that, to see if there is a contributing cause or for some evaluation after the VLCD of your digestive system. If they can't find anything wrong, have you considered a counselor or a nutritionist to explore whether the feelings of fullness are caused by emotions instead?

If you want a really yummy peanut butter, try ordering some Peanut Butter and Company PB. They have flavors like White Chocolate, Mighty Maple, Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon Raisin. Just have a couple of spoonfuls, and that shouldn't take up room in your stomach.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Vegetable oil in your cooking would be an easy way to add a couple of hundred calories every day - and your body does need some oil! Other than that, could you snack on a slice of cheese or some nuts?

I even drain off excess fat when cooking lol ....

I was looking at nut selections in the supermarket yesterday thats another option :) ty

cheese noooooooooo lol ... that along with butter is on my "do not eat till at my weight list"

I eat full fat cheese and butter several times a week and it has not hindered my weight loss one bit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I :heart: cheese, butter, milk, oil, alfredo sauce... not hurting me, either. :smile:
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Hello,

I'm confused by your food the day before making you too full the next day to eat your calories. I wouldn't think the body would work so slowly, especially on a low calorie diet. I would consult a doctor about that, to see if there is a contributing cause or for some evaluation after the VLCD of your digestive system. If they can't find anything wrong, have you considered a counselor or a nutritionist to explore whether the feelings of fullness are caused by emotions instead?

If you want a really yummy peanut butter, try ordering some Peanut Butter and Company PB. They have flavors like White Chocolate, Mighty Maple, Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon Raisin. Just have a couple of spoonfuls, and that shouldn't take up room in your stomach.

yeah that is one of the things that confuses me its not like Im eating allot of food,

One of the previous posters said maybe my stomach had shrunk due to long term lol cal diet (which I have got)... I'M guessing that's the most likely reason for it.... :D so the small palm full of food with high cals will help me get over that hurdle :) ... Ill keep the above in mind thou, but Im not in any pain just feeling bloated and full :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    Vegetable oil in your cooking would be an easy way to add a couple of hundred calories every day - and your body does need some oil! Other than that, could you snack on a slice of cheese or some nuts?

I even drain off excess fat when cooking lol ....

I was looking at nut selections in the supermarket yesterday thats another option :) ty

cheese noooooooooo lol ... that along with butter is on my "do not eat till at my weight list"

I eat full fat cheese and butter several times a week and it has not hindered my weight loss one bit.

If I cant lather toast in butter I prefer not to have it at all :) I dont see the point in 5-10g of butter on a slice of toast I cant taste it anyway so I opt not to put it on at all ... if that makes sense ... and with cheese I prefer to have it once in a while .. just my way of keeping myself on track ... its the reminder to me that Im on a health kick :) I know it wouldn't hinder my diet thou ... as I maintained my weight for a year while adding butter, cheese, biccys etc back to my can eat list .... So it dosnt bother me to miss it out (and it keeps me on track to miss it out) for 6 months when I know Ill eat it again and maintain my new weight .... :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    I :heart: cheese, butter, milk, oil, alfredo sauce... not hurting me, either. :smile:

In saying all the above I have bought feta cheese today for a greek salad tomorrow ... trying to up the good fats... just hope Im doing it right :)

you have done fantastic, I looked at your post and pics, and your looking so healthy :) ...
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if you haven't been eating a lot, your body will not EXPECT you to eat a lot... on the "hunger scale" anyhow. that doesn't mean your body doesnt NEED them though!

EXACTLY, you are under eating, and your body is in starvation mode. Holding on to the food because you are underfeeding and it does not know when/if another meal is coming.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this, it's never made any sense to me, but you see so many ppl saying "your not eating enough" and I feel like I'M forcing myself to eat up to 1200, geez, I'M trying to lose weight hehe

Yes, and you're losing lean muscle mass, because you aren't giving your body enough calories to actually function and keep and muscles. So in the end, you might have lost the weight, but you will still have a large percentage of body fat. This comes right from my trainer, who is certified. Unless you are a very small person, you are doing yourself more harm than good. You should check out some of the forums of people eating around 2000 calories and losing a TON of weight. I just joined those ranks and am now one of them.

Treat your body well, it's all we've got(and we need to use it for a while!)