Say you are a broke college student....

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    cook beans in water when they are nearly done add bacon strips or sausage, cilantro, tomatoe slices maybe some onion slices too and a garlic clove salt to taste wait till bacon is fully cooked and BAM!!!!!! ranchero beans.:smile:

YOU ARE MY HERO.....YUM
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ramen Noodles were my go to college food ;)

its about damn time!
    its sad we had to go all the way to page 2 before someone mentioned ramen noodles to a college student... geeze!

ramen noodles.
    big bag of chicken breasts
    lots of bags of frozen veggies
    and cheap frozen pizzas

Yes but these arent Good things to eat. Why waste money on ramen noodles when you could just eat a half a cup of flour and 1 cup of table salt. I think people were trying to give ideas that were extremely healthy and clean
  • k7kjack
    k7kjack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    post a PO box number and ask for .............help!!!!!!!!!!!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Get a jizzob?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    And had very little money for food for the next 2 months *-* what would be the top items on your list?

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents
    bag of rice around $1.20 or so
    maybe a bag of frozen chicken breasts - $6 or so

what would you add :flowerforyou:

friends who work on campus in the cafeteria, that let me sneak end on shrimp and steak night as well as to get veggies and fruit daily. LOL...frozen veggies/fruit like broccoli, spinach, blueberries, etc also so black beans and lentils, brown rice, protein bars. However I would probably end up with PEANUT BUTTER, BREAD, CHEESE, ALMOND MILK, CHEERIOS, whole wheat bread, deli meat, bagged salad, chicken breasts, ground beef, eggs...I would use a printer on campus to print my COUPONS! ;-)

Also...you could get yourself a job of some sort with campus food service and eat for free!!

They never paid well. I made more money working in the college of engineering and science and of course the athletics department LOL...I made a whooping $1000 a month from my 4 on-campus jobs.
  • HikeRunLift
    Options
    And had very little money for food for the next 2 months *-* what would be the top items on your list?

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents

holy crap?? Where the hell do you shop? I could save a small fortune where you go
  • cinole1706
    Options
    At Walmart, I buy the Hormel Compleats a lot. They're 2 for $4. Not bad. You get a prepared (maybe not like mama's home cookin' lol) meal for under 300 calories. Definitely add some canned veggies though for more vitamins. They're pretty cheap..
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    add a bag of frozen mixed veggies and a 1 lb roll of ground beef or ground turkey, a couple cans of pinto or black beans, and you'll have the exact menu I ate while I was in college. When I was broke...and thin. ;)
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If you watch at krogers they have their frozen veggies on sale for 10 for 10.. and 1 bag I can get 2-3 meals out of it... lean turkey if you buy the big family pack you can freeze it into individual servings....
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i'd do what my roommate did and apply for food stamps and then not worry about it XD
  • OseaHello
    OseaHello Posts: 28
    Options
    Check to see if you have an Aldi store near. They're prices are AWESOME!! Pretty much half of regular grocery store!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents

Be very careful with the Tuna. You should consume no more than 12oz. of Tuna per week otherwise you put yourself in danger of Mercury poisoning. Canned light Tuna how low mercury levels whereas the Albacore can have high Mercury levels and can (and has in some individuals) lead to mercury poisoning in your blood stream.
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    i am a poor college student. make those dollars count!

frozen fruits and veggies
    ground turkey
    chicken breasts
    boxed mashed potatoes
    rice
    rice milk or almond milk - lasts longer than dairy milk if you don't drink it a lot
    off brand oatmeal and cereal
  • gmeekatty
    gmeekatty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Canned beans (kidney, pinto, etc); frozen bags of veggies, ie. broccoli, green beans (store brand or "no" brands are just as good); nonfat powdered milk has great shelf life; also evaporated fat free milk for cooking and such. Oatmeal, bag of apples, buy bread on sale or the "day old" table and freeze it. You can also freeze cheese for a few months at a time. Canned soups. Bless your heart, it will get better. If it gets really tough, don't be hesitant to visit the local food assistance services for good nutritional foods. God bless.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I vote for the rice too. It's more nutritious than ramen. I get long grain because it has a lower glycemic index than short grain. One of my favourite dishes is sautéing some onion with one or two eggs and then adding in cooked rice.
  • shyandemily
    shyandemily Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great info.
  • sweetsierra
    Options
    Beans- You can make hummus or bean dip, burritos, soups, black bean burgers.....just google recipes. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1. Bags of dry beans are amazing. You can do tons of stuff with them, and they are cheap.
    2. Sign up for a local co-op or food share program for fresh local veggies.
    3. If you have room for an herb garden, you should definitely have one. Great way to get fresh seasoning.
    4. Bagged rice is a great thing.
    5. Look for buy one/get one deals and freeze things like bread and meats.
    6. Keep your bread in the fridge to make it last longer. Toast it in the toaster to warm it up when you want to use it.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Pasta Sides are awesomely cheap and last you a while. They are usually 10 for $10 and have a ton of varieties. I don't think I have ever seen them for more than the sale price at any store. They are really tasty and one bag can last you 3 days when you eat it with a piece of chicken or something.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Spend some time sussing out the sale items! Canned beans/fruit/vegetables .. tomatoes!

And, you can freeze bananas??