Special K

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I agree that consuming food products w/out added HFCS, hormones, chemicals, etc is the best way to go. However, I would not advocate consuming raw milk due the increased risk of foodborne illness. You can home pasteurize milk, if I remember correctly from my Peace Corps days many years ago we were told to bring milk to a boil 3 times to make it safe to drink.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/595007

This is a great very informative thread, I like the information re: sustainable farming that LeanLioness posted. Thanks! :happy:
  • kellibe
    kellibe Posts: 11
    im a chocolate freak... luv m & m 's and im grateful for the chocolate special k
    that is better then shoving the m & m's in the mouth. LOL:laugh:
  • iluvbread
    iluvbread Posts: 104
    one time I said I liked captain crunch and had a mutiny on my hands..just saying
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    one time I said I liked captain crunch and had a mutiny on my hands..just saying

lol

There are greater sins than enjoying a bowl of crapta...I mean captain crunch. :tongue:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I agree that consuming food products w/out added HFCS, hormones, chemicals, etc is the best way to go. However, I would not advocate consuming raw milk due the increased risk of foodborne illness. You can home pasteurize milk, if I remember correctly from my Peace Corps days many years ago we were told to bring milk to a boil 3 times to make it safe to drink.

This is a great very informative thread, I like the information re: sustainable farming that LeanLioness posted. Thanks! :happy:

I grew up on raw dairy...............I had no wieght problem as a child, graduated high school, joined the Army and got married, living in Virginia in a city area where there weren't many natural options..............started eating the Standard American Diet...................the rest if history after a 140 pound gain..............

Moved back to Southern Illinois where I was raised (in the middle of corn fields) and went back to eating natural, meat, eggs and raw dairy. The weight is coming off now for me and I have more energy than I have had in years......................
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Anyone doing the Special K 2 Week Challenge? ? ? ? ? ? ?

A girl at my work is doing it for a quick fix before her holiday!! :noway:
  • astridfeline

I grew up on raw dairy...............I had no wieght problem as a child, graduated high school, joined the Army and got married, living in Virginia in a city area where there weren't many natural options..............started eating the Standard American Diet...................the rest if history after a 140 pound gain..............

Moved back to Southern Illinois where I was raised (in the middle of corn fields) and went back to eating natural, meat, eggs and raw dairy. The weight is coming off now for me and I have more energy than I have had in years......................

This is not referring to weight loss or nutritional value of raw vs. pasteurized dairy (which are virtually the same, if you look at this paper). It's about consumption of raw dairy being a risk factor for salmonella, e coli, and other foodborne gastrointestinal illnesses, which can be fatal for the young, old, and immunocompromised.
  • LeanLioness

This is not referring to weight loss or nutritional value of raw vs. pasteurized dairy (which are virtually the same, if you look at this paper). It's about consumption of raw dairy being a risk factor for salmonella, e coli, and other foodborne gastrointestinal illnesses, which can be fatal for the young, old, and immunocompromised.

Again, I grew up on raw dairy and my neighborhood coop says that raw dairy is healthier and safer than pasteurized dairy......................

I don't buy into the governement telling me something HAS to be pasteurized..................those farm eggs I eat taste 100000 times better than anything I can buy in a grocery store and so does the raw milk, cheese and butter I also purchase...............raw yogurt is GREAT too, but I just love fage that much more.

They sell raw yogurt, cheese, milk, butter, etc.................
  • astridfeline
    Sure, the government fluffs up some things like the food pyramid or what not. However, there is an entire body of research that contradicts the argument that raw dairy is superior nutritionally to pasteurized products, and further this research shows that consuming raw dairy puts one at higher risk for gastrointestinal illnesses. These illnesses are minor for most people, but can lead to sepsis, kidney failure, meningitis, and permanent health problems and death in others. I'm sure you are very healthy and these products have not been bad for you--but I would hesitate to recommend raw dairy to the general public without providing them ALL of the information they need to make their own decisions. ALL possible information includes sources other than your local co-op and your personal experience. :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Sure, the government fluffs up some things like the food pyramid or what not. However, there is an entire body of research that contradicts the argument that raw dairy is superior nutritionally to pasteurized products, and further this research shows that consuming raw dairy puts one at higher risk for gastrointestinal illnesses. These illnesses are minor for most people, but can lead to sepsis, kidney failure, meningitis, and permanent health problems and death in others. I'm sure you are very healthy and these products have not been bad for you--but I would hesitate to recommend raw dairy to the general public without providing them ALL of the information they need to make their own decisions. ALL possible information includes sources other than your local co-op and your personal experience. :flowerforyou:

Well, my sources tell me the same thing I already feel...................The government (FDA and USDA) tell us stuff has to be pasteurized because of political motivations.........................
    Ron Schmid, the author, is a naturopathic physician and farmer. A graduate of MIT, he has served as Clinical Director and Chief Medical Officer at the University Of Bridgeport College Of Naturopathic Medicine. This book is a must for anyone who is interested in whole natural foods. Milk, raw milk that is, has been referred to as nature’s most perfect food because of it numerous health benefits.

The debate of raw versus pasteurized milk is overwhelmingly over safety. We’ve been told over and over again for decades in order for milk to be safe to consume, it needs to be pasteurized. Could it be that people extolling its benefits for thousands of years had no idea how dangerous it was? According to Ron Schmid, we should have the same right to whole raw dairy products in order to reap the benefits our ancestors had.

How much disease attributed to raw milk was actually caused by raw milk? In the early 1900’s when both types, raw and pasteurized coexisted, there was significant controversy within the public health establishment. Official numbers concluded that raw milk was responsible for 10 – 40 percent of all typhoid fever. One paper concluded .221 of one percent of typhoid fever, scarlet fever and diphtheria in the entire U.S. was attributable to milk. Looks to me like more unbiased research should have been done.

One thing we do know is that chronic diseases attributed to cattle have been effectively eradicated, which obviously makes the milk produced by these cattle more safe. Another is that many other contaminants such as Salmonella and Campylobacter originate in feces. These organisms cause over 2 million cases per year in the U.S. In an 8 year period, only 700 cases were attributed to raw milk consumption. The total number of food-borne illness from all causes is now 73 million per year. Schimid points out the obvious, that milk is not uniquely hazardous and should not be treated as such. He makes a strong case for treating raw milk production and like another food. Why can we eat raw fish but not raw milk?

So how much of a problem was raw milk? No matter what the answer was, raw milk became a problem. A large push by commercial interests to influence politicians and market the virtues of pasteurized milk occurred in the early 1900’s. Unfortunately, the public’s perception of raw milk went sour and so did sales. Never mind the fact that the dairy industry was more interested in mass production and shelf life than health.

It has become very clear as with many other products in our food supply money, not health is the deciding factor. If you are at all interested in learning about the benefits of raw milk, its history and how you can get involved in making raw milk available to all, read this book, and visit www.westonaprice.com.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I eat 2100 a day. 1900 of them are good, 200 are crap. I've been dropping 1-1/2 to 2 pounds a week for a long time, and I feel like a million bux. My blood pressure is 110/65, my pulse is 60, my labs are very-very good.

Most of us don't live in trees. We shop at Kroger 'cause that's where the food is. I take reasonable steps to eat pretty well and to take pretty good care of myself. Ya', I probably eat a little corn sweetener once in a while. Might get a little MSG in my Beef&broccoli too. These aren't staples of my diet, and I don't believe a little bit of much of anything can hurt me.

Hehehe,,, :drinker:
    :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    yeah, yeah HFCS isnt good for you. but what is nowadays!?

i bet i could find an article on every bit of food you can think of that says SOMETHING about it is bad or unhealthy.

its all in moderation, peeps. not like im ACTUALLY gonna LIVE on the stuff, cuz i said i probably could.

btw... its friday! :drinker:

High Fructose Corn Syrup if BAD, BAD, BAD for you, even in the smallest amounts..............It is not that far down on the list, so there is a LOT of it in the cereal.

Food manufacturers use that stuff because it is cheap, but it is poison..............

You all can eat what you want, I just think a website that is geared toward a healthier lifestyle would have more members that think of such............

Which this site does not. People think they can eat 1300 of junk calories, be healthy, full of life and energy and it doesn't work like that.................

You know, there's a nicer way to get your point across. You can't shove clean eating down a person's throat. We're all working toward being healthy, but not all of us can do it all in one big step forward. I'm sure most of us have heard the drama about HFCS, but you're pretty much equating it to cyanide.

I agree. I am reminded of a church group that begged me to go to their services. The women looked miserable, never smiled, and always sounded reproachful and disapproving. Why would I want to go to a place that makes you feel this bad?

I may eat some 'crap' but I feel like smiling every day of my life.
    I have more energy than I have had in 15 years, I am off all my meds and my stats are aMAZing!!

Now someone pass the Special K and pasturized 2% milk please...........I need a snack.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Thank you LeanLioness, I haven't had fresh milk in about 2 years. I have no problem with it at all not like when I drink store bought milk. For years I thought I had developed lactose intolerance only to discover that when I drink fresh milk I have no symptoms. My thoughts............lactose intolerance and vitamin D overdose have the same symptoms.

PS......Special K bars, my daughter says that her favorite rice krispy treats and the special k chocolate drizzle bars have just about the same nutritional value.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    You Rock AWTY. Here's the K, I'm having Craptain Crunch. :laugh:
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    I agree. I am reminded of a church group that begged me to go to their services. The women looked miserable, never smiled, and always sounded reproachful and disapproving. Why would I want to go to a place that makes you feel this bad?

I may eat some 'crap' but I feel like smiling every day of my life.
    I have more energy than I have had in 15 years, I am off all my meds and my stats are aMAZing!!

Now someone pass the Special K and pasturized 2% milk please...........I need a snack.

Amen! :flowerforyou: I usually try to minimize my processed food intake because it just makes good sense, but if I reach for a bowl of Special K instead of a greasy bag of chips I'd be pretty damned proud of myself!
  • arewethereyet
    You Rock AWTY. Here's the K, I'm having Craptain Crunch. :laugh:

Omg.......I cant buy CC anymore......the last time I ate the whole box in 3 days. That was last June. I LOVE the Captain.......and fresh cold milk.......mmmmmmmmmm

Gut...........uh I mean But, alas I just cant eat that stuff any more!:sad: :sad:
  • arewethereyet
    Thank you LeanLioness, I haven't had fresh milk in about 2 years. I have no problem with it at all not like when I drink store bought milk. For years I thought I had developed lactose intolerance only to discover that when I drink fresh milk I have no symptoms. My thoughts............lactose intolerance and vitamin D overdose have the same symptoms.

PS......Special K bars, my daughter says that her favorite rice krispy treats and the special k chocolate drizzle bars have just about the same nutritional value.

wow on the rice krispy treats:noway:
  • astridfeline

Well, my sources tell me the same thing I already feel...................The government (FDA and USDA) tell us stuff has to be pasteurized because of political motivations.........................
    Ron Schmid, the author, is a naturopathic physician and farmer. A graduate of MIT, he has served as Clinical Director and Chief Medical Officer at the University Of Bridgeport College Of Naturopathic Medicine. This book is a must for anyone who is interested in whole natural foods. Milk, raw milk that is, has been referred to as nature’s most perfect food because of it numerous health benefits.

The debate of raw versus pasteurized milk is overwhelmingly over safety. We’ve been told over and over again for decades in order for milk to be safe to consume, it needs to be pasteurized. Could it be that people extolling its benefits for thousands of years had no idea how dangerous it was? According to Ron Schmid, we should have the same right to whole raw dairy products in order to reap the benefits our ancestors had.

How much disease attributed to raw milk was actually caused by raw milk? In the early 1900’s when both types, raw and pasteurized coexisted, there was significant controversy within the public health establishment. Official numbers concluded that raw milk was responsible for 10 – 40 percent of all typhoid fever. One paper concluded .221 of one percent of typhoid fever, scarlet fever and diphtheria in the entire U.S. was attributable to milk. Looks to me like more unbiased research should have been done.

One thing we do know is that chronic diseases attributed to cattle have been effectively eradicated, which obviously makes the milk produced by these cattle more safe. Another is that many other contaminants such as Salmonella and Campylobacter originate in feces. These organisms cause over 2 million cases per year in the U.S. In an 8 year period, only 700 cases were attributed to raw milk consumption. The total number of food-borne illness from all causes is now 73 million per year. Schimid points out the obvious, that milk is not uniquely hazardous and should not be treated as such. He makes a strong case for treating raw milk production and like another food. Why can we eat raw fish but not raw milk?

So how much of a problem was raw milk? No matter what the answer was, raw milk became a problem. A large push by commercial interests to influence politicians and market the virtues of pasteurized milk occurred in the early 1900’s. Unfortunately, the public’s perception of raw milk went sour and so did sales. Never mind the fact that the dairy industry was more interested in mass production and shelf life than health.

It has become very clear as with many other products in our food supply money, not health is the deciding factor. If you are at all interested in learning about the benefits of raw milk, its history and how you can get involved in making raw milk available to all, read this book, and visit www.westonaprice.com.

That's fine, as long as people in the forum are informed of both sides of the argument.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Something for everyone to remember.....it is super expensive to eat totally organic. Everyone is doing what they can to have a healthier lifestyle or they wouldnt be here. I personally cant afford to do what you are doing Leanlioness.You are lucky to have the resources that you do and the pocketbook to go with it. I do what I can for my family within my own limits. We have a farmers market down the street and within season I get SOME of our fruits and veggies there, but within my limits, budget, etc. If special K is what you can afford and it is a step the right direction. HFCS or not! :drinker:
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    i seriously cant believe this thread turned into a 4 page discussion about HFCS and organic food.

all i said was how good special k cereal tasted. lmao :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.