Can't we all just get along?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In any event, I am a Paleo eater who monitors his carb intake (I do 2 month cycles of Ketosis and love the fat-burning and muscle-sparing effects). It works for me, but I'll never try to force Paleo propaganda down somebody else's throat unless they reach out to me and ask about it.

Just a friendly FYI, there is no metabolic advantage to low carb or keto diets
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There are too many different conflicting studies about what is good and what is bad that it makes my head spin. I just don't judge anyone's methods so I can avoid the drama. I really like this post. I totally agree. =)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    People are not homogeneous, physically, culturally, spiritually, nor in ideas. They never should be. Therefore you will always find disagreement, online or in the real world. By the time you are an adult I would expect most people to realize this and react accordingly.

Instead we get an incessant stream of "why can't we all get along" threads. Clearly I set the bar too high.

I know I have nice skin and a pretty smile, but don't assume I'm not an adult hun ;)

Calling someone "hun" is pretty passive aggressive. I'm not even going to comment on your self absorbed statement.
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options

It works for him and I'm sure that's all that concerns him.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options

^^This
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm sure it does, but no reason to make silly claims about it then
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    OP: Well said!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    So, I peruse the MFP forums when I'm looking to kill some time, and love being able to chime in and offer advice. However, I'm noticing that there are many "my diet is better than yours" posts coming up. What's the deal? I think we all joined this site with the goal of tracking our macronutrient intake for one reason or another. Some use it to lose 100+ pounds and change their lives. Other's (like me), might be looking to lose 5-10 pounds to squeeze out every last bit of definition before the summer. I think the social component is an added bonus.

With all that said, I think we should be more supportive of one another regardless of what method of dieting we chose to subscribe to. A diet is a personal choice - and you have to pick one that fits your lifestyle. If you can't give up eating spaghetti with cake batter ice cream and maple syrup on top, then don't go low carb. If you're Paleo, don't hate on the vegans. However, if you're one of the people who constantly complains about not losing weight, perhaps it's time to give another member the benefit of the doubt and try something new.

I also don't think anyone should go out of their way to attempt to dissuade other's from trying a new diet. What works for you may not work for somebody else.

In any event, I am a Paleo eater who monitors his carb intake (I do 2 month cycles of Ketosis and love the fat-burning and muscle-sparing effects). It works for me, but I'll never try to force Paleo propaganda down somebody else's throat unless they reach out to me and ask about it.

Just my $.02. Good luck to everyone with their fitness goals, and let's try to be more supportive.

Cheers.

I agree with you 100%. If someone asks, I'm more than happy to offer my advice in clear, polite verbage. Too many people, however, think that a couple months on MFP, a few pounds lost, and 3-400 posts mean they now have a license to be condescending, rude, and snarky to anyone who disagrees or has questions. Luckily, most people are NOT like that.

So my advice to you is to block or ignore the "haters" and go right ahead being polite and civil.

:flowerforyou:
  • katiejoycecross
    katiejoycecross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Seriously.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    :drinker: But my diet IS better than yours.
    ETA - OP is a cutie.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    OP here. Just to clarify, I realize that the world will never get along. I'm from Boston - we aren't known for being nice people lol.

Also, I wasn't attempting to promote world peace (I'm a defense contractor, so that means I'd be out of a job), so there is no need for the Sociology 101 responses about human nature and how people behave when shielded with the anonymity of the internet.

But this isn't Red Sox/Yankees - this is health and wellness. I'm also a member of other forums and do agree that this is pretty tame.

Regardless, thanks for the responses and private messages. My ego has been sufficiently stroked for the evening ;)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I will agree to be nicer if MFP as a whole can agree to stop using the word "haters".
    Seriously. It has gone the road of 'you go girl' and 'gag me with a spoon'.
    Lets put that b1tch to bed already.

Edited because I have fully agreed to stop using the term *kitten* to get around the sensors.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I will agree to be nicer if MFP as a whole can agree to stop using the word "haters".
    Lets put that *kitten* to bed already.

Also, let's all stop saying "*kitten*". :wink:
  • Isolt
    Options

Calling someone "hun" is pretty passive aggressive.

In my part of the world 'hun' or 'love' (and even 'pet' and 'duck') are common endearments used all the time and certainly not in a passive aggressive way. If you walked into a shop or bar in my area you'd be greeted with "what'll be love"
  • katiejoycecross
    katiejoycecross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lets put that *kitten* to bed already.

Ba ha!
  • Sildrae
    Sildrae Posts: 86
    Options

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is a Paleo or a Keto diet?

Also, I agree 100% with the OP, people need to learn how to tolerate one another, they don't necessarily need to like one another as people have their own likes and dislikes... I always try my damnedest to please everyone I can, it's just my nature, though it isn't possible to do that! That's where toleration comes in, even though as stated some people can't get along, it's nicer to tolerate than it is to shove trash in peoples faces...

I personally can't see why people have to go down the route of "my diet is better than yours" etc, though as said already, it does and will continue to happen regardless of what we try to say and do. All I can say on it is that I wish they would put their efforts into helping instead of trying to put people down?

--Lee

PS; The comments on this aren't aimed at your Acg67 :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I love being positive and encouraging; however, if someone is asking for opinions and is doing something unhealthy or extreme just to lose a few pounds, I am going to give them my opinion.
    Whether they listen or not is up to them, but if they post in a public forum, the public will provide their opinions.

In my opinion, eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks, drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and focusing first and foremost on your HEALTH is the ideal way to reach whatever goals you are aiming for.
    Do people HAVE to do things my way?
    No.
    Do I advise people who ask for opinions that this is the way I like?
    Yes.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    People are not homogeneous, physically, culturally, spiritually, nor in ideas. They never should be. Therefore you will always find disagreement, online or in the real world. By the time you are an adult I would expect most people to realize this and react accordingly.

Instead we get an incessant stream of "why can't we all get along" threads. Clearly I set the bar too high.

I know I have nice skin and a pretty smile, but don't assume I'm not an adult hun ;)

Calling someone "hun" is pretty passive aggressive. I'm not even going to comment on your self absorbed statement.

yeh, I read that calling you Hun and thought the same.
  • Isolt
    Options
    I'm sure it does, but no reason to make silly claims about it then

I see no 'silly claims', I see someone who has stated what works for them. His way of eating is clearly of no interest to you, so why waste energy and time being concerned about it?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Are you trying to argue??!!