what was your "a-ha" moment?

Options

Replies

• deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Probably the day that I ate Mcdonalds AND Burger king for breakfast (a sandwich and hashbrowns from each), then had arbys for lunch(crispy chicken sandwich, large fry, AND potato triangles), and then went to the chinese buffet.

I'm honestly surprised that I was only 336lbs.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Lol when I regularly took showers with the light off xD etc...

^This!
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    When I went to th doctor and saw my weight was now over 200 pounds. I'd never gone over and I was horrified I'd let it happen. Then I had a seizure and I thought there are health problems I can't control, so I better take as good care of my body as I can by controlling the things I can control.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always knew, but what made me stick with it this time is when I saw my primary care physician for the first time in 12 years and within less than 5 minutes, he recommended gastric bypass surgery for me.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I was at a stable weight all through high school and into my first couple years of college. My body must be changing now because I'm gaining weight but not eating any more than I used to. Time to cut back some and get more exercise!!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I knew for a while that I wanted to lose weight, but I remember the exact moment that i really started taking it seriously was last July when I saw pictures of myself from a family party. I hardly ever see full body pictures of myself because in my family, I usually take the pictures. I remember this one particular picture from this party kind of shocked me. In my head I was thinner than what I saw in the picture and it was like someone flipped a switch in my head like,"hey! You need to start doing something about this!"

I had actually already been on mfp for a month and had started somewhat trying a couple months before that, but July was when I REALLY started.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Sounds ridiculous but true: The longer I was with my (ex) boyfriend, the more I emotional I got, the more I ate, the more I got bigger.

The day I broke up with him, my a-ha moment was running for 4 plus hours on the beach and I haven't look back since. :) I'm happy now and I'm losing this weight for ME :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I went for a physical and was unhappily surprised at my weight. My doctor didn't mention it or anything, but I didn't like the direction I was taking, so I changed it.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    When I decided I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I couldn't find a coat that fit me. I live in Asia (land of the ultra-skinny people... not kidding), and though I look very very "normal" for American standards It is still annoying to buy clothes here. My wide linebacker shoulders also make it very difficult but... oh well (I love my shoulders).

:)
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed to loose weight but felt too 'thin' emotionally to go through it again.

Then I was diagnosed with asthma which got progressively worse. I didn't want to take all the meds and puffers. So I asked the doctor what I had to do to get off them.

She said loose 20 lbs, to start.

So I decided I had to. A friend picked me up and took me with her to WW's. I thought I'd give it a go. I took to it like a duck to water. Now I'm here, 62 lbs lighter.

Sadly, I still have to take all the meds. But I feel better about myself and am glad that I learned that I can do this, even now with all the stress that I have in my life!
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    My A-Ha moment was when I got a new apartment with one of my best friends...

I'm not unlike anyone else where I work long hours and HATED cooking when I got home from work. I would come home from work with take out just about every night. I felt like such a slob sitting at the table eating burritos and subs for dinner when he was eating steaks, fish, pork chops, and a variety of steamed vegetables. One day I went grocery shopping with him at Whole Foods, and it's just been a love story with healthy eating ever since :)
  • lpblah
    lpblah Posts: 28
    Options
    When I realized that I was good enough and that I could be whatever size I wanted. I remember looking at the scale and thinking "Well, I'm already fat so what's the use?". That was 45 lbs ago. It took me a while to realize that I can do it, but now that I understand that there is a way and I am worth it, I'm never going back.
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had various throughout the years, but this time it was because my husband started Weight Watchers and I told him I'd track points too even though I wasn't joining. The next day he asked me how many points I had and I thought about the crap I'd had to eat that day and said, "I'll start tomorrow." and he looked extremely disappointed that we weren't doing it together like he thought.

I signed up immediately for Weight Watchers online and I've been faithful to my diet ever since. (3 days, lol)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    When my mom tried to tell me very delicately that I could purchase a size bigger in yoga pants.

...really? I need a bigger size of stretchy pants? That's f***in it. *puts down the fork*
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    A friend of mine was telling me I should start going to the gym. She was telling me I couldn't live my life like this. I replied I had fared well so far. Then I saw that she was disappointed and starting to give up on me. Made me feel really bad. Looking at pictures of me with my belly hanging out also told me it was time...
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When one of my "friends" cracked jokes to another friend about our girls trip to the water slide park and me looking horrible :-(
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    My normally very sweet nephews called me fat. Kids speak the truth. It made me soo sad for while and then it just motivated me like crazy to set an example for them and my daughter.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I was 180 pounds in 6th grade.
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I saw myself in a picture and didn't recognize me. That was 10 years ago. I walked off 30lbs and have been working to stay healthy ever since. For me it's about feeling great and being comfortable with my body.