Bump
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump - Thanks!!!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I started this without actually knowing what I was doing. I saw a video on yahoo about sprinting for 60 seconds and walking for 60. So on Thursday, I didn't have much time to workout and wanted to get a good burn so I tried it. Did it again last night and today. I walk at 4.0 mph and run at 6.4 on the treadmill. That may not seem like much to some but I never run and bythe end of my run my calves and my lungs are burning. Hope I'm doing it correctly enough to shed some serious fat.
  • dennisone
    dennisone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a HIT workout now for months after being introduced to it by our PT. I walk for 1/4 mile, jog easy for 3 minutes,30sec speed, 90 sec walk, I do a total of 8 intervals, 6mph,8mph, and 6 at 10mph, walk for 3 minutes and then run continuously for 1 mile at 10min pace. I usually do this once a week. I've now been running for 6 years and hope to do a 2:10 1/2 Marathon at the end of April. I use the Jeff Galloway program of a run/walk.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT although I probably do it more the Fartlek style, i.e. no set timing for the intervals. Oh, I'll set a time goal but I'll adjust it throughout the workout. For example, I might do 60-seconds as fast as I can go and then back off and only need a 30-second rest but, as the workout goes on and I've done numerous cycles, I might need 60-90 seconds rest. And I usually get where I can only do 30 seconds all out at max after several cycles.I also change my resistance and/or incline and and that changes my intensity.

Like if I'm doing it on the elliptical, I might do my first 60s at 10-incline/8-resistance, then do my next at 20-incline/12-resistance, then back off and do 8-incline/5-resistance, and so on. Obviously, the more resistance the slower I'm going but it still takes all my effort. I do similar on the bike with different resistance levels which then determine how fast I can pedal.

I can only work to my utmost intensity on either the elliptical or exercise bike because I tend to need to lean over the handle-bars and close my eyes and then count in my head, just opening my eyes when I reach the count of 30 or 60 to see how close I am to the clock and then close my eyes and count a bit more until I'm done with that set. If my eyes are closed, I just can't do it as intensely for some reason.

I love it. It's a great workout. And, while I don't track, I do know that I'm able to do more and more cycles at higher intensity levels as time goes on. So much more fun than steady-state.

Hahahaha, I do that close my eyes thing too! I've been know to draw looks at the gym when I'm hoping I'm towards the end of an interval and I'm just in the middle but sucking air and burning in the legs and I say something out loud like, " you've got to be kidding!". I also agree that it is more fun than steady state and more time efficient too. Comparable total burn from steady state is something like 45 minutes. I still do steady state a times or two a week at various intensities as part of my plan but I always look forward to HIIT days!

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one. I have had several people, including a personal trainer, come up to me and tell me how impressed they are at what I'm doing so, eyes open or closed, it's all good, LOL.

I also have days where I do steady-state and other days when I lift heavy. I believe that the more mixing it up we do with the different types of exercise, the more overall fitness we achieve. I also do a spin class at least once a week that is more interval-training than HIIT but definitely mixes up intensities via changes in speed and/or resistance, standing vs. sitting, etc.

When I do steady-state it tends to be a class like cardio-kickboxing as that doesn't get boring. Unless the weather is nice enough to go on a nice, longer bike ride or I just go for a swim. The few times I've ended up doing steady-state on a machine indoors, I'm totally thankful that I can watch Netflix on my phone. I still tend to watch the clock due to some boredom but it's not near as bad if I'm watching something interesting.
  • marielouisehilton
    Options
    thanks for this, going to try it for sure, how do you work out calories burned?
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump! interesting
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, looks like its time ti HIIT it :-)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run, but I have really bad feet and my podiatrist has banned it. I'm therefore doing HIIT on a stationary bike. I've been doing 15/20 mins of HIIT followed by 30 mins (approx.) of steady state, but am interested in the 45-min pattern the OP suggests. I'm assuming it will all apply just as much to a bike ...
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT although I probably do it more the Fartlek style, i.e. no set timing for the intervals. Oh, I'll set a time goal but I'll adjust it throughout the workout. For example, I might do 60-seconds as fast as I can go and then back off and only need a 30-second rest but, as the workout goes on and I've done numerous cycles, I might need 60-90 seconds rest. And I usually get where I can only do 30 seconds all out at max after several cycles.I also change my resistance and/or incline and and that changes my intensity.

Like if I'm doing it on the elliptical, I might do my first 60s at 10-incline/8-resistance, then do my next at 20-incline/12-resistance, then back off and do 8-incline/5-resistance, and so on. Obviously, the more resistance the slower I'm going but it still takes all my effort. I do similar on the bike with different resistance levels which then determine how fast I can pedal.

I can only work to my utmost intensity on either the elliptical or exercise bike because I tend to need to lean over the handle-bars and close my eyes and then count in my head, just opening my eyes when I reach the count of 30 or 60 to see how close I am to the clock and then close my eyes and count a bit more until I'm done with that set. If my eyes are closed, I just can't do it as intensely for some reason.

I love it. It's a great workout. And, while I don't track, I do know that I'm able to do more and more cycles at higher intensity levels as time goes on. So much more fun than steady-state.

Hahahaha, I do that close my eyes thing too! I've been know to draw looks at the gym when I'm hoping I'm towards the end of an interval and I'm just in the middle but sucking air and burning in the legs and I say something out loud like, " you've got to be kidding!". I also agree that it is more fun than steady state and more time efficient too. Comparable total burn from steady state is something like 45 minutes. I still do steady state a times or two a week at various intensities as part of my plan but I always look forward to HIIT days!

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one. I have had several people, including a personal trainer, come up to me and tell me how impressed they are at what I'm doing so, eyes open or closed, it's all good, LOL.

I also have days where I do steady-state and other days when I lift heavy. I believe that the more mixing it up we do with the different types of exercise, the more overall fitness we achieve. I also do a spin class at least once a week that is more interval-training than HIIT but definitely mixes up intensities via changes in speed and/or resistance, standing vs. sitting, etc.

When I do steady-state it tends to be a class like cardio-kickboxing as that doesn't get boring. Unless the weather is nice enough to go on a nice, longer bike ride or I just go for a swim. The few times I've ended up doing steady-state on a machine indoors, I'm totally thankful that I can watch Netflix on my phone. I still tend to watch the clock due to some boredom but it's not near as bad if I'm watching something interesting.

Totally agree on the boring nature of steady state indoors! I usually do it on the recumbent bike so I can read on my kindle. Outdoors is a whole different story. Going for a run at Valley Forge National park today and that is totally fun (well except for the *&$#@% hills!).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    thanks for this, going to try it for sure, how do you work out calories burned?

There is no way to acurately measure EPOC but you don't measure that with steady state anyway. Just count the calories while in process. For me, that's usually about 300, 350 doing 3 minutes warm up then 8 sets of 30 sec on, 90 sec off with a 5 minute cool down. The calorie benefits are not as measurable in a linear way as in steady state. The EPOC benefit is generally thought to be about 14% compared to 7% for steady state but there is much debate over the duration time. Some believe 48 hours degrading on a slow curve after 3 or 4 hours if I remember correctly. Some believe 2 hours degrading on a rapid curve. And all the stops along the way. Check out the bodyrecompostiion link earlier in the thread. Lyle McDonald shows an example of what he believes happens in one of the related articles. He is of the opinion that the EPOC benefits are overstated.

At some point it becomes an academic debate for me. Basically, I can get the same benefit from a calorie point of view, using Lyle's more conservative numbers, from a 25 minute session of HIIT as I can from a 45 minute steady state when factoring in EPOC. Works for me! AsI said I do both. He states that the main benefit is probably more to developing VO2 capacity and nervous sytem training for other activities and there are other's that hold that point of view. The recomendation is not to do HIIT more than 2, maybe 3 times a week as your nervous system needs the recovery time. I do it once, sometimes twice. No More or I get some burnout. The HIIT help my steady state performance so that great!

Bottom line form, it's a great training tool and helps with my overall goals of getting leaner and more fit. I don't think it is the ultimate fat burner compared to other forms like steady state and strength. It very good and part of an overall strategy for getting leaner and more fit. I love that it's 25 minutes begining to end!!!!
  • Showcats
    Showcats Posts: 32
    Options
    This sounds good. I am going to start interval training and work up to HIIT.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I believe that the more mixing it up we do with the different types of exercise, the more overall fitness we achieve.

I can not agree with this statement anymore then how this was stated. The human body is extremely efficient at adapting to the stresses that it is exposed to. Need to keep the body guessing in a sense to keep up the results. also from a mental standpoint it is beneficial for us. I mean I think I speak for a large percentage of people that it would get boring if nothing but the treadmill, bike ect was used for 40-60 min a workout every time. That would get real boring real quick.
  • imcountingcalories
    imcountingcalories Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    bump...
    thanks