ditch too big clothes?

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you can't wear them, take them to a women's shelter. Many women who go there, go with just the clothes on their backs and need clothing. Same with children's clothing. I would much rather donate to a women's shelter than the Goodwill or Salvation Army or other charities who have to use profits for operating expenses. You can usually find a close-by women's shelter by Googling.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    I got rid of my too big clothes the last time I lost weight. Then I started gaining. The 5th time I needed to go buy bigger jeans did it for me.....time to lose and make it permanent. Clothes have been happily gotten rid of and I'm never going back. If I hadn't had to purchase bigger clothes I might of kept gaining weight without really noticing. Each size was a major guilt trip for me. Get rid of them!
  • mcorange01
    mcorange01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Donate, do not give yourself a reason to fit back into them. My mother-n-law and I just decided the same thing! NO MORE FAT clothes in the closet!! EVER!!!
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I actually saved mine but only just in case I get preggo one more time. After my b day this year - donate!

This is the only reason I kept mine Since we are trying for #2..That way I dont have to buy maternity clothes I can just wear my "fat" clothes :P

Other than that Id say ditch them! If you have them around that means you may go back to that size..so I say get rid of them so you can start fresh!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Get rid of those clothes... and QUICK!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 22 lbs (since Jan 1) with the help of you all and MFP. I'm far from my goal weight, but I noticed that my jeans don't really fit anymore and some of my tops are way too big and bulky. I brought some stuff down to the basement, but now I'm thinking why not just donate it all, right? Wouldn't that somehow be more wishfulfilling/positive than saving all the big clothes in case I gain the weight back? What have you done with your too big clothes?

GET RID OF THEM... Only keep one shirt and one pair of jeans/pants for comparison later! I didn't do that, and regret it because it would have been cool to see!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    donate!!

then you can't go back without spending heaps money!

i have kept one dress though just so when i feel like im so far from my goal still i put that on and it reminds me of how far i have come :)
  • Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am keeping one set of my largest to remind me that I never want to go back to that weight.

My problem is I have so much yet to lose, but some of my old clothes are now getting very loose and will need tighter elastic or I'm going to be arrested for indecent exposure when they fall down!

I don't have huge amounts of money to spend on clothing that will only fit for a limited length of time. I can see I will just have to 'make do and mend' in the meantime. My gf has very kindly offered to keep some of her old 'big' stuff for me to get into eventually - which is very kind, except I have longer legs and they are going to look stupid. Denim shorts perhaps?

On the other hand I will be getting rid of most of my old stuff - anyone know any small countries that need to keep warm? :laugh:
  • theblitz
    theblitz Posts: 32
    Options
    I had a giant pair of jeans I used to wear all the time and they got sooooo big I threw them out. Wish I'd kept them just for reference. to put them on and feel how huge they are now would be cool. so donate most of them but keep a few for reference :)
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    donate to Goodwill or other charity, get a tax receipt and NEVER keep your fat clothes around "just in case." Not fitting into my winter clothes from last year really kicked me into gear, and i refused to buy new in a bigger size! (well, I did buy 2 pair of hideously ugly fleece pants at wallyworld for a trip and that only helped to motivate me--would not buy any nice clothes for work in a bigger size)
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    I donated all of mine to someone my mom knows whose teenage daughter wears the size of clothing I was and they cannot afford to buy new clothes. So I not only was able to make sure I did not go back, but was able to help someone else. I felt better helping the daughter have some "new" clothes to wear. From what I heard she was so excited to recieve those.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Gotten rid of them..I used to save them..and sadly I would quickly fit back into the fat clothing ...now this time..I have given them away at each step..its cathartic and I actually have another 3 bags ready with spring cleaning :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I just dropped a big bag at the Goodwill. You can also check your area to see if there are any battered women's shelters or crisis pregnancy homes that could use donations. Makes you feel good in more ways than one. :-)

Can I just say that for 5 seconds I thought "Oh I should have donated to a women's shelter instead of Goodwill. Oh wait..."
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Yes. Get rid of them. If you leave them in the house you leave 'going backwards' as an option. Just my thoughts though.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said to get rid of all too-big clothes, so that you don't subconsciously use them as a crutch. HOWEVER, that's a bad plan if you plan to get pregnant. I was thinking it would be great if we had an MFP clothing swap somehow. I just shrunk out of my size 22's and 20's. Maybe there's someone on here who's shrinking out of their size 24's and needs those. And maybe someone else just shrunk out of their size 18's and 16's and would like to donate them to me. Is there a way to DO that? I know some people are saying that they don't want to buy any more clothes until they're at their goal weight, but I work in an office, so wearing ill-fitting clothes is not a great option.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have gave some awy to friends, but most of my wardrobe was sold to buy more clothes that fit. I sold them on facebook. It was hard seperating with them.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    save something for the pictures later tho...some pants you can put on and hold out to 'there' and say "look what I used to wear" and LOOK AT ME NOW!!!! :glasses:

I have my bigger clothing in bags in the basement, which is as good as being gone. When I hit my goal weight this summer, I'm going to take the biggest pair of pants and take pics, then it all gets donated.

I ain't going back either!! It's too much work to lose the weight so why would we want to go through all that again?
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the old sizes. In fact, go buy one pair of jeans/pants in a size smaller than you are now. You will see them in your closet and it will encourage you in your committment to this journey. :)
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I just dropped a big bag at the Goodwill. You can also check your area to see if there are any battered women's shelters or crisis pregnancy homes that could use donations. Makes you feel good in more ways than one. :-)

Can I just say that for 5 seconds I thought "Oh I should have donated to a women's shelter instead of Goodwill. Oh wait..."

LOL! Oops =) Very nice thought though and that's what counts right? :happy:
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I give clothes away to different places.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!