ink == intimidating? i don't get it.

Options

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I definitely find ink intimidating. Rightly or wrongly I associate ink with people who are strongly opinionated, sometimes a bit rough around the edges and individuals who don't care so much about what other people think. I find these type of people difficult to talk to, so yes, I'll avoid people with visible tattoos. Tattoos scare me!

I find this hilarious!!! I'm assuming the opposite is true of those who don't have tattoo?? They are weak-minded, polished people who only care what other people think......
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I have a sleeve and I do feel like I get different responses when it's showing. Like, if I go into a nice shop I feel like people are watching me more closely to make sure I'm not stealing and I get some dirty looks in nice restaraunts when I take my jacket off. But I also have way more random people come up and touch me when it's showing. I was in a gas station a few years ago and some random woman came up and lifted up my shirt sleeve to get a better look without saying anything first. It scared the hell out of me!

yeah cause you have 10 thousand dollars worth of ink in yer arm you're going to steal ... people are so stupid
  • CrystalT
    Options
    It's sad but true how much we are judge for our tattoos. I'm looking forward to when younger generations are in charge and no longer hold as many of the stupid stereotypes our parents and grandparents were brought up with.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    Tattoos themselves aren't intimidating. I think it depends a little on how you wear it - YOUR attitude.

Take a full-face Moko. Now THAT'S intimidating.

http://kuinirikihana.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/tameiti.jpg
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    I definitely find ink intimidating. Rightly or wrongly I associate ink with people who are strongly opinionated, sometimes a bit rough around the edges and individuals who don't care so much about what other people think. I find these type of people difficult to talk to, so yes, I'll avoid people with visible tattoos. Tattoos scare me!

If it helps at all, Hitler, Ted Bundy, and Jeffrey Dahmer didn't have tattoos.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with people talking to me because of my ink, it's usually a conversation starter for me between clients! I'm a hairdresser with quite a few pieces on show and people ask me about them all the time!! Never had anyone put off by them at all! :-)
    Anyone who is shallow enough not to talk to you because of your ink aren't worth talking to IMO. :-)
  • CrystalT
    Options

ROFL!!!!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I find that it depends on the age of people. The only thing that has ever really bothered me was when a woman decided to join me in the locker room shower to get a better look at my ink. I have a total of 4, which will all be 1 one day. So far the biggest one starts on the top of my left foot and wraps around my lower back. Eventually it will connect to the one on my neck and right arm. I find them to be a conversation starter to say the least. But to each their own. I will continue to get them until my master piece is done.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I dont pay any attention to tattoos anymore EVERYONE has them it seems,so its kinda like eyebrows I dont really pay to much attention to those either
  • drmnofsun
    drmnofsun Posts: 10
    Options
    My mother is one of the very many people that are so judgemental about tattoos. Several years ago, my cousin's wife left him for a woman (not that I care--just what happened)...my mom was telling me the story about all of the horrible things she did, then she says "And she got a TATTOO!" as if that was the hugest issue their relationship could have gone through. Really?!?! I have two "small" tattoos. I had them for years before she even noticed. She's just a small town, farm girl who was raised by extremely conservative parents. I guess she just doesn't know any different. It drives me nuts!
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options

ROFL!!!!

Scary isn't the same as evil! I don't like striking up conversations with people when I'm out and about anyway - maybe its a city thing!
  • CrystalT
    Options

ROFL!!!!

Scary isn't the same as evil! I don't like striking up conversations with people when I'm out and about anyway - maybe its a city thing!

You really like stereotypes, don't you??
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    ----> oh... let me say - i don't give a crap about who likes me or not. I simply was just contemplating it. <----

I will say, however, when my ink is showing - i DO get ~tons~ of 'attention', it being a conversation starter. My point here is all of the attention is from a certain type of person. I just find it funny how that i believe many of the people who end up chatting with me and talking with - probably wouldn't had my ink been showing.

make sense?

Yes, that makes total sense. And alot of times, when I see a person with a neat tattoo, I ask them about it. Nobody ever asks me about mine. You can't see it normally. I have a grapevine with armenian cross, right in the lower back area. I love it.
    I know what you mean. A different type of person befriends you when you have it covered, than if you had them uncovered. I want to add to it oneday.

Its kinda stereo typing descrimination.

Like....... If you fat... Some skinnys turn their noses up, and when your skinny, some fat ones turn their nose up. But, knowone knows the real you. They don't know the meaning behind each piece of art. And they don't know how much discipline it took to lose weight. Just goes to prove that judging will always exist in this world based on our appearance. I know it sad. I wonder if that ever will change. I don't think so.

I would like to see your tattoos. I bet there nice. :smile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have friend that feels that anyone with tattoos is white trash. I know this because I used to not have any and I've heard her talk about it. Well, we know each other pretty well. I happen to have a BA in Economics and an MBA. I have a great paying job where my salary is probably double hers, and Im clearly not white trash. I started getting tattoos and I think now she's a bit conflicted with her feelings about it. I think she still feels that getting a tattoo is stupid as opposed to the people that get them are stupid. I think if you are going to think negatively about something, thats the more correct way to think.

At any rate, I find that my tattoos make people more prone to talk to me. If I'm wearing a jacket or something, people tend to leave me alone. Not sure why that is.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These postings have afforded me valuable insight. Thank you so very much!

I'm a 57-year-old grandmother with nieces, nephews and an adult son who have tattoos and piercings. My youngest son pierced his ears at age 15. Now that he's 18, he'll probably get tattoos when he can afford them. (Many years ago, I held my younger sister's hand while she was getting a tattoo of a rose on her ankle.)

I consider myself to be open minded. Am I concerned about people passing judgment on me because I prefer to age naturally (no dyed hair for me) or that I choose not to wear makeup? Not in the least. To each his own.

The older I get, the quieter I become; there's just too much "noise" in this world. I lean towards being an observer, and should one look closely, I'll probably look into your eyes and send you well wishes along with a kind smile.

It's how we treat each other that counts.

-Blessings :flowerforyou:

PS: I do not have any tattoos.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    well I don't like talking to people whether they have tattoos or not. Lol.
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people wouldn't talk to you with them exposed. I like to hear the story behind a tattoo they tend to be really interesting, or even show you parts of that persons personality you wouldn't learn about for quite a long time. That being said, however, I'm sad to say that for the most part I just do not find them attractive. I don't dislike tattoos, but so many people go so overboard that I feel like they really mess up what would be a really nice accent to a persons body.

Either way, if they won't talk to you because of exposed tattoos you should just punch em in the kidney, and find more interesting company.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I feel like you worry too much about what other people think. Tattoos = not intimidating in the least.
  • Angelangi
    Angelangi Posts: 35
    Options
    tattoos are lame

LOL.. Made me giggle :laugh:

And yea, a lot of people dont like tattoos on men, let alone on women.. The elderly think they are intimidating as they think only 'thugs' and 'bullies' have tattoos..
    I absolutely love your ink.. I have lots, but nothing like yours. I only wish i had got a theme instead of having random tats all over, lol..,
  • gymmouse83
    Options
    I find people are funny creatures... here is 2 of my experiences...

In the supermarket old people stop and talk to me about my sleeves, especially older women! One woman told me one sunday morning getting my shopping that if she was 60 years younger (I'd guess she was mid 70's) she would be out there getting tattooed which I thought was brilliant!

On the other hand there was a shop getting fitted out by a new owner down the street from my work last summer, every day I passed to go get my lunch and every day the men fiting out the shop would draw me dirty looks for my sleeves being on show. It never bothered me and actually it made me laugh that I could provoke that reaction from bunch of guys...until one day one spat at my feet as I passed...surely a girl with tattoos can't provoke that must disgust!??? Doesn't matter what someone looks like of wears on their body I would never do this!

Point is it amazes me how in this day and age that people still make a judgement about someone just by the way they look, just because I have sleeves, and much more work on my body does not make me a bad person, ueducated (I'm working on my 2nd degree!) scary or unapproachable (I'm super friendly honest!!!! ) but heyho...people are funny creatures!?