period

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thank you for saying period instead of TOM. When I weigh myself during my period I scream and cry and throw myself to the floor. Or...actually I just say, "I have my period, my weight is up, it will be gone soon." :wink:
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    it's water weight and it'll go away a few days after your period is over; dont worry about it!

I don't even weigh myself when I'm on my period or even for a few days afterwards. I've even heard that you can retain water up to a week before your period starts.
    Yeah it's crazy! I usually gain 2-4lbs the week before my period and by the last day of my period I usually have lost the water weight, and my usual 1/2-1 lb week loss as well. So I don't weight myself that week before my period because I'm bigger then. It's soooo irritating :mad:
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some people are getting rude over a serious question like this. People learn a lot by asking questions, There's nothing wrong with it, and no, not everyone knows how to deal with the bloat or the increased hunger. I did not know about watching sodium intake or drinking water during that time to help with it for a long time. I STILL don't know how to curb the increased hunger I get during that time. I don't think there really is anything for that, but there's no need to be rude to someone who is trying to get advice.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the replies so sorry if I'm repeating someone else. I read on here somewhere that your body needs some extra calories the days before your TOM starts because your body needs to prepare for what it loses during that time. Now that's not to say you should pig out, and I'm not sure how true it is, but it makes sense to me.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MFP is for all questions, I don't see why some people are so mean . It not helpful, or productive or funny. These are serious issues and legitamate questions. If you can't say anything nice then.... P155 0ff x

I can't believe I'm coming back to this, but here you go...

People are being snarky because most women have been dealing with their lady-time since they were teenagers. Along with that usually comes bloating, water retention, etc. All of which will cause a small weight gain. Freaking out about something that you *should* know will go away after you start menstruating is, well, silly, thus, inviting the snark. :flowerforyou:

(You asked.)

I agree with this. You should already know or have an idea what to do. I can only assume you're a woman who has had her menstrual cycle for several years now. It is your body. You should know when it is coming, what changes to your body will be and how to react to those changes. This is something all women should know. I don't mean to come off snarky but honestly, this question is a bit odd to me, unless you're between the ages of 11-14 then I can understand why you'd ask a question like this.

Personally, I "gain" 2-3 pounds of water weight during my T.O.M. I don't work out but I still eat as healthy as possible. That doesn't mean a piece of chocolate doesn't get eaten. I limit myself to one bar each cycle.

Listen to your body and try not to wholly give into sweet cravings. Mix it up, add fruit.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well, since you're all so smart and need to make people feel silly for posting something that they legitimately want an answer to, here you go.

I'm on implanon, and before my doctors will take it out I have to go through some testing to make sure everything to blame for the implanon (why they don't just take it out and find out that way I'll never know), but my "monthly" LASTS for 35-45 days. DAYS. Every other month. Now tell me how to deal with these cravings and the hunger, before I can get it taken out. Kthx.
  • AmoreCouture
    Options
    MFP is for all questions, I don't see why some people are so mean . It not helpful, or productive or funny. These are serious issues and legitamate questions. If you can't say anything nice then.... P155 0ff x

I can't believe I'm coming back to this, but here you go...

People are being snarky because most women have been dealing with their lady-time since they were teenagers. Along with that usually comes bloating, water retention, etc. All of which will cause a small weight gain. Freaking out about something that you *should* know will go away after you start menstruating is, well, silly, thus, inviting the snark. :flowerforyou:

(You asked.)

I can't believe I'm coming back to this either, but here I go.

Claiming that you "don't notice" these things is not a viable excuse. Every commercial for feminine products refers to the "bloating" feeling that accompanies your menstruation. All pop culture references to menstruation talk about cravings and bloating as well. It basically should be common knowledge for anyone that participates in modern society.

I didn't see any freaking out. I seen a simple question about how to get through it, and yes, everyone knows there is bloating and cravings, but that doesn't mean everyone knows how to deal with them.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been having them for about 27 years now. For some reason, I know what to expect every 28 days or so and don't get surprised anymore. Unless you are experiencing some very strange symptoms, it is normal, if you are having strange symptoms, there are doctors that actually specialize in the female reproductive system. Please, stop posting about it.

How about you quit being a witch and not look at a post if you have nothing helpful to add!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself... so then a week later I will weight myself again and it says I've lost 7 lbs!
    JK I actually try to avoid the scale like the plague as well. We already feel bad, why make it worse.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    to those who are being snarky about the question....no she should not "know" about this. I never paid attention to my weight and cravings when I was younger...who cares I could eat what I wanted as much as I wanted and I still looked hot, never got on a scale. Then I had 5 kids, with only a couple periods in between. Surprise! It wasn't until age 30 that I finally, started paying attention to these things.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Well, since you're all so smart and need to make people feel silly for posting something that they legitimately want an answer to, here you go.

I'm on implanon, and before my doctors will take it out I have to go through some testing to make sure everything to blame for the implanon (why they don't just take it out and find out that way I'll never know), but my "monthly" LASTS for 35-45 days. DAYS. Every other month. Now tell me how to deal with these cravings and the hunger, before I can get it taken out. Kthx.

YO some of us are trying to help - thanks for the blanket judgement on all of us
  • AmoreCouture
    Options
    I have been having them for about 27 years now. For some reason, I know what to expect every 28 days or so and don't get surprised anymore. Unless you are experiencing some very strange symptoms, it is normal, if you are having strange symptoms, there are doctors that actually specialize in the female reproductive system. Please, stop posting about it.

Why did you click on a post that says "Period" if these posts annoy you? If they annoy you, don't open them. You knew what it was about before you opened it. Instead of telling people what they should and shouldn't post, just skip right over it if you don't like it. It's really simple. You purposely opened it and read it just to complain about it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Didn't know periods were such serious business.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    BUT how do you girls cope with the extra appetite and extreme cravings? I think mine is due and today I just feel starving. I eat a little and then i'm REALLY hungry again an hour later.

choose sensible foods to have and pick at through the day if you need to have something, I personally tend to ignore the cravings and the more I ignore the less cravings I get :)

edit---- I mean I ignore the cravings for things like chocolate, I eat sensible stuff :)
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the replies so sorry if I'm repeating someone else. I read on here somewhere that your body needs some extra calories the days before your TOM starts because your body needs to prepare for what it loses during that time. Now that's not to say you should pig out, and I'm not sure how true it is, but it makes sense to me.

Interesting, I've never heard that, but it makes sense to me too. So I can TOTALLY justify the half of a box of vanilla wafers I ate last month....darn you said not to pig out LOL. In all seriousness though it really makes sense though
  • spade74
    spade74 Posts: 42
    Options
    It bugs me too, and my husband always have to remind me not to worry about it and it will go away quick. i gain about 5 pounds during that time of the month. so what i started doing is not checking at all about 5 days before i start and wait until either my last day or two days after i stop.
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just came on this post to read the snarky comments. Period.

Ok, and I eat like a maniac right before I get mine, I consider it my spike day out of the month!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just came on this post to read the snarky comments. Period.

Ok, and I eat like a maniac right before I get mine, I consider it my spike day out of the month!

I see what you did there
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUT how do you girls cope with the extra appetite and extreme cravings? I think mine is due and today I just feel starving. I eat a little and then i'm REALLY hungry again an hour later.

I dont remember where i read this, or how accurate, but i read that your body needs 300 extra calories during your period. Like i said, dont know how accurate that is and i never looked into it further, but maybe its because our body needs extra fuel because of what is going on...now i dont think that gives us an excuse to derail our diet and eat junk, but if your truely hungry and you need to go over your calories during this week, i wouldnt feel guilty about it.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    FYI to everyone on this post... and I'm sorry if someone already said this but...

Midol/Pamprin/other period medications... the diuretic is CAFFEINE

You can get the same power punch by taking a naproxen and drinking a coffee, and it costs a fraction of the amount. Read the dang box!

Also, I personally survive with stretchy pants and some Stayfree.