"Dirty and high carb eating"! Works for me!

Options

Replies

• sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe our reference points are different. As someone in the fitness industry, your view of "clean" eating might be *squeakier* than a regular gal like myself. I eat potatoes. Rice. Sushi. Eat dairy. I even drink alcohol (frankly, not as much as I'd like while I'm trying to reduce, but for maintenance? Never had a problem). I don't think of these as *dirty* (okay, maybe the alcohol. maybe. except whiskey. I declare whiskey to be clean.)

But I've never been able to eat one slice of cake. Ever. Or one donut. I'd rather have none than one. Seriously. I literally panic if I've started munching on some bready goodness...but there is only one donut. I start scheming for how I can get my hands on another one. And its not because I'm just a glutton...I'm good with cheesecake, ice cream, anything with a lot of fat and/or protein. But floury goodness? It kills me. Literally. And if you've never had that experience? You will never understand it.

So when someone such as yourself says "you can have treats" and "I do it, so can you!" But you've never actually been in my shoes? Or know what it feels like to feel actually panic over food? (And no...no one beat me with a donut when I was a child. :wink: ) Well...I humbly submit that we really are just made differently. Now. In a famine? I'd win. You'd die first. So I wouldn't say you have better genes. They just seem to be better suited to the context in which we find ourselves.

And of course I believe that genes can be overcome...that's why we're all on MFP. Because we believe in the power of human smarts over the injustices of nature. However, for many of us, avoiding certain things *is* the way in which we overcome our genes. I accept the truth of your experience. I'm just saying that there is more than one experience that has value.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
    I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you! I approve of this message :D
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe our reference points are different. As someone in the fitness industry, your view of "clean" eating might be *squeakier* than a regular gal like myself. I eat potatoes. Rice. Sushi. Eat dairy. I even drink alcohol (frankly, not as much as I'd like while I'm trying to reduce, but for maintenance? Never had a problem). I don't think of these as *dirty* (okay, maybe the alcohol. maybe. except whiskey. I declare whiskey to be clean.)

But I've never been able to eat one slice of cake. Ever. Or one donut. I'd rather have none than one. Seriously. I literally panic if I've started munching on some bready goodness...but there is only one donut. I start scheming for how I can get my hands on another one. And its not because I'm just a glutton...I'm good with cheesecake, ice cream, anything with a lot of fat and/or protein. But floury goodness? It kills me. Literally. And if you've never had that experience? You will never understand it.

So when someone such as yourself says "you can have treats" and "I do it, so can you!" But you've never actually been in my shoes? Or know what it feels like to feel actually panic over food? (And no...no one beat me with a donut when I was a child. :wink: ) Well...I humbly submit that we really are just made differently. Now. In a famine? I'd win. You'd die first. So I wouldn't say you have better genes. They just seem to be better suited to the context in which we find ourselves.

And of course I believe that genes can be overcome...that's why we're all on MFP. Because we believe in the power of human smarts over the injustices of nature. However, for many of us, avoiding certain things *is* the way in which we overcome our genes. I accept the truth of your experience. I'm just saying that there is more than one experience that has value.

okay, I tooootally feel you on this one.
    I can pass by second helping on pasta, pizza, burgers (I don't even crave burgers in the first place) and many other savory "junk" food. But omg when I make cake or some other pastry or have it my presence, alone, waiting quietly there just for me, I've just got to get rid of it or I'll have too much. Sometimes I can control myself pretty well, but if I give in too much my sweet craving are unleashed and I have to fight to regain control.
    I'm currently in the process of regaining control after a couple of weekends of letting myself give into some "bready goodness." I've gotten much better about eating that stuff in moderation, and I'm proud of that, but I'm nowhere near perfect and always have to be aware of my kryptonite.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    So long as you're not completing neglecting your micronutrient intake, i.e. vitamins, minerals, etc. There's no reason why your ENTIRE diet cannot consist of "dirty" foods. I say this because truth be told there is no such thing as dirty foods, but society as a whole has increased their meal portions and not increased their activity level. Which obviously has caused us to collectively become more out of shape and even obese. I eat an ENTIRE carton of ice cream (1.5 quarts), 6 bowls of cereal, and homemade protein peanut butter cups every night directly before bed and it does not cause me to gain weight or store fat. Those are all nutritional myths so enjoy your food eat what you'd like but DON'T let it cause you to exceed your caloric limit because that and only that is what will cause you to gain weight/fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Behaviors are learned. They can be "unlearned" IF there is willingness and agreement to commit. With clients, I don't change their eating choices, I change their total consumption. It's a MUCH easier transition than restriction or having them abstain.
    People make life changes when confronted with serious issues. Since most people don't see overeating or being overweight as a serious issue (we all have the "invincibility" ego in some capacity) they aren't willing to commit nor are willing to do much change.
    Will everyone be able to do it? No. Do I believe everyone can do it? I'm an optimist, so of course I'll say yes. Is it easier for some than others? No doubt. I would hope people would do it in a way where they know that if they engaged in an eating lifestyle, that it's a lifestyle that they won't have difficulty staying consistent with. Regain of weight is usually going to be from dumping the diet that got them to goal in the first place because it wasn't sustainable.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options

THIS. I came from a background where we didn't always have food in the house, so I also panic over food, particularly those reserved for "treats".

But to the OP, I'm happy that this works for you. :)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Okay...so your experience is the right one, and mine is wrong. I just need to learn some different behaviors. Got it. Hey, I lost 70 pounds and kept it off for 8 years. Which for me was more than half my body weight. Which makes me a statistical anomaly in the weight loss world. But...I guess I did it wrong. I really should have been practicing eating half a cookie once a week. Cause it worked for you! Who cares what worked for me!

Well. This has been a life changer. I'm going to run out and get a box of cookies. And me and the cookies are going to have a battle of wills, until I win. Cookie, I shall beat thee! I will win! Win, I tell you! And I will be happier and thinner once I am victorious!

Because we all just need some will power. Even though, as you attest, you've never really needed any in this area of your life. But I'm sure you know all about it.

Thank you, and goodnight.
  • rbeatty63
    rbeatty63 Posts: 132
    Options
    I just calculate my sweets into my daily calorie budget. Frankly, if I have to give up sweets there will be suffering! LOL! I bake 2-3 times a week and parcel remainders out to willing relatives and neighbors. Plus, I eat a huge variety of foods. I'm from a big ol' southern family and we are all about some side dishes and of course, gravy is a beverage . If I didn't loathe exercising just for the sake of exercising I would never have a weight problem. So, I am learning to calculate my housework into calories burned and combining that with walking a few times a week. May I say, the house is certainly a lot cleaner, :) So far, this is working. I just see a big FAIL in my future if I try to eat 'clean' I know me too well. Each to his/her own.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The 80/20 rule is key there.

So often obese people will go out and have the 20% with generally fit people but then rather than going back and having the majority of the 80% in private they will head home and have more junk in large volumes in private.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing but I think it is vital to stress the point above as I am sure that this is the reason why some people are fat. They eat what normal sized people eat in public not realizing that normal sized people compensate for these moments of luxury in private, but instead blame it on things like the size of their bones or speed of their metabolism.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is how I want to live... just gotta shift some more weight first!!
  • billthekill
    Options
    With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
    I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

IDEA Fitness member

100% spot on.
    "Junk food" is not the enemy.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Just reading back I realised I pretty much plan my meals around which carbs I'll have. I had toast for breakfast and I know I'm having rice with my salmon and veggies this evening, so for lunch I'll be seeking out pasta or a jacket potato. With what is merely a secondary consideration!
  • 7memyselfandI
    Options
    Totally agree with OP...I've lost 40 lbs, gone from 185 to 145, slowly but surely and while forming good sustainable habits, by working out 4 to 5 days a week (strength & cardio) and learning to eat in moderation. For me, watching portion sizes has been the key, not elimination/restricting foods. I pretty much eat what I choose, but I make those choices wisely, while watching my daily caloric intake. I am a believer in the moderation "diet" since restricting or avoiding certain foods can lead me to feel deprived and is not a life-long habit for me to stick with. This works for me, may not work for everyone...to each his own and good luck!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The 80/20 rule is key there.

So often obese people will go out and have the 20% with generally fit people but then rather than going back and having the majority of the 80% in private they will head home and have more junk in large volumes in private.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing but I think it is vital to stress the point above as I am sure that this is the reason why some people are fat. They eat what normal sized people eat in public not realizing that normal sized people compensate for these moments of luxury in private, but instead blame it on things like the size of their bones or speed of their metabolism.

This is what I was thinking as I read through this thread. A diet that includes regular servings of "junk food" is fine for someone who has firm control over his/her eating habits. It is very, very difficult to get an obese person to understand how much junk food is too much. I would liken it to trying to teach an alcoholic how to drink without getting drunk. Of course it is possible because it is, indeed, a behavioral issue, and behaviors can be adapted. But, again, it's extremely difficult in the case of someone who does not understand basic nutrition and clearly does not have much self-control when it comes to food.

One other thing I want to address is the notion I've seen a couple times on this thread that losing weight/maintaining is easier for some people than others. Excepting those with genuine medical conditions that affect their weight, that's just an excuse, as far I'm concerned. It requires tremendous effort for everyone. Some people just don't want to do the work, so they THINK it's harder for them than it is for someone who actually puts in the requisite effort.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay...so your experience is the right one, and mine is wrong. I just need to learn some different behaviors. Got it. Hey, I lost 70 pounds and kept it off for 8 years. Which for me was more than half my body weight. Which makes me a statistical anomaly in the weight loss world. But...I guess I did it wrong. I really should have been practicing eating half a cookie once a week. Cause it worked for you! Who cares what worked for me!

Well. This has been a life changer. I'm going to run out and get a box of cookies. And me and the cookies are going to have a battle of wills, until I win. Cookie, I shall beat thee! I will win! Win, I tell you! And I will be happier and thinner once I am victorious!

Because we all just need some will power. Even though, as you attest, you've never really needed any in this area of your life. But I'm sure you know all about it.

Thank you, and goodnight.
    It's not a battle of imposing wills, it's really just the motivation of thought and reward. I'm willing to bet that if anyone here was offered $1,000,000 dollars to eat what they wanted to and lose 20 within 6 months, they would FIND a way to do it. Or if their child's life was at stake, people would find a way. The big problem is that many people don't think they are worth it enough to consider it.
    Like I stated, it's not going to work for everyone and some may not be able to adapt. But for many that uptake a diet just to lose weight, hopefully they might be able to see that it's more important to keep a lifestyle that's maintainable rather than just keep going through the up and down cycle of weight loss and weight regain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Some people just don't want to do the work, so they THINK it's harder for them than it is for someone who actually puts in the requisite effort.
    THIS. I DO bust my *kitten* in the gym daily. I hate cardio with a passion (with the exception of kickboxing) but do it because I know of the benefits and for the calorie burn.
    I consider cardio part of the "sacrifice" of being able to eat the way I do. Many won't be able to do it due to illness, disease or physically disability, so eating like this may not be an option, but if the average person is willing, then all it takes is some commitment.
    I'm COMMITTED for life to keeping fitness and weight control a total priority. This is why I've also decided to assist others in it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Soooo glad I found this thread,after finally deciding I was ready to change my lifestyle and eating habits I have been forbiding myself to eat potatoes,and pasta except in the weight watchers meals I've been eating,so after reading this thread I'm really glad I don't have to totally omit those things from my diet! Thanks for sharing :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of this "diet".

And a lot of you are saying that he's only had to maintain and not lose, or that he's genetically lucky. I've lost weight in a similar manner and everyone in my family is overweight, so I'm not genetically lucky.

Same here, exactly. The rest of my family has tried every fad diet there is. I kept eating what I liked, but either a little less or exercising enough to make the way I was eating the right amount.

And that's another beef, too. You just can't win with some folks. Either you get the "Well, if these so called expert knew everything, they wouldn't be here!" or, on the other hand, "What do you know about losing weight? You've never been fat!" People just love to discredit anyone who challenges their way of thinking. I've had people scoff at things I've had to say because I'd "only" lost 30-35 pounds... because what would I know about eating to be a healthy weight when I've only been a healthy weight most of my life? :laugh:
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OP, you're my philosophical twin!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yessss!! I had done the "diets" many many times and always fell on my face because Id swear off ice cream, chips and other goodies and i would binge.. this way works MUCH better. saturdays we go to chinese buffet and I don't worry about it because i eat decent the rest of the week.