Gym Prices??

Options

Replies

• SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I've been going to Planet Fitness for over a year now and pay only 10 dollars a month
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the gym.

In my area the prices range from $10 (planet fitness) to $70 (a gym owned by a local hospital that has a pool, massage therapist, free trainers, free classes, etc).

I used to go to Snap Fitness and paid $54 a month for my boyfriend and I (we had a dual membership). Now we're at Powerhouse Gym and we pay $44/month for a dual membership.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    50 per month for just me......and 70 when I add my fiance on. I also pay extra for classes, but it is only 20 for 4 months because I am a member. I figure it is a great facility with a pool, steam room, hot tub, indoor track, basketball court, racquetball court, aerobics and cycling rooms, free weights/machines, and a cardio area. I think a more basic gym with just the cardio/weights runs around 30ish in my area for a single membership. I just think about how much money I save in the long run on being healthy and know that this is an investment in my health! :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I pay $65/month but its worth it to me.... many gyms just have machines and not group fitness so they are cheaper. I can go to any location take zumba, kickboxing, yoga, pilates, core, step, cycle, swim, gym, raquetball etc... whenever I want. I could get it for $50 at a single location, but I wanted the option to be ablet o use any facility --- I regularly go to 4 different locations. (LifeTime Fitness)

I would not join a gym just to use machines by myself.. boring! i can do that at home. It's the group fitness classes that keep me motivated -- and the people I meet in them who notice when I am not there and keep me accountable :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month for Gold's.

It's pretty busy, but it's a good value.

They have a bunch of group exercises too.
    Spin, Zumba, um, other stuff I don't remember.
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Here is the cost for my wonderful gym:

Membership Type Monthly Payment Annual Payment
    Individual $34.50x12 = $414 annual $378
    Couple $48.50x12=$582 annual $558
    Family $62.50x12 =$750 annual $738
    Junior (14-18 yrs.) $24.00x12 =$288 annual $276
    Senior (65+) $28.50x12 =$342 annual $306
    Senior Couple(both 65+) $43.00x12 =$516 annual $492
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I joined 24 hour for 350 for 2 years
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I use to work at a gym and $80 a month seems way too high. Unless you are joining just month to month and not signing a contract, then the price will be higher because they want to get you to sign up for a year or two years. But other than that I think maybe a different, less expensive gym would be better for you! lol :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My local gym gave me one free class to see if I liked it... $78.88 up front plus a $10 card key so you can go 24/7 (the real bonus), includes aerobic classes & power classes (but they only have one class in the evenings a week), plus $10 month extra for spinning classes. After the $88.88 up front, it's $30-$40/month. I may just join for $40/month flat rate for a 3 month period. I'm guessing in the summer I'll be too hot at home to do my DVDs since we can't get central air with hot water heat. Bummer!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Depends what they offer. We pay about $100 per month for a family membership at the Y. It's a lot more than what people on here are saying. We have two pools (lap pool and sliding pool for the kids), hot tub, sauna, babysitting which was priceless for my wife when the kids were younger, unlimited classes, and access to any other YMCA if we are traveling. More money, but we get a lot for it.

Obviously it depends what you are going to use. If you don't use all that stuff, it's obviously expensive. if you use it all, and take the fitness classes, etc. it's not bad.
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We pay about $96/ month for our family of 5. It is a YMCA, so there are a lot of classes included, free babysitting while you work out, pool (which we do on Sundays, family day, after my husband and i drop the kids off in babysitting for an hour while we work out) and a great fitness center and free weight room. I figure what we no longer pay for in junk food, more than compansates for the cost :wink:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Look and see if there is a Planet Fitness in your area. It's only $10/mth.
    Sorry I just looked at your location. I don't believe they are in that area yet :(
    After being spotlighted on The Biggest Loser this season I hope to see a lot mor of these pop up! None near me yet :(

OP: That is way to much unless it comes with free access to a trainer!
    For me I work at a juinor college and they have a brand new gym that does offer rates to the public (non-students) that are pretty inexpensive, maybe check out your local community college....

Geez for almost $1000 a year you could make a pretty nice home gym!
    Good Luck!! :smile:
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    ! pay $27 per month with no contract

If you cant find a reasonably priced gym near your home, try to find one near your job.. or on the same route you take to work everyday.

There were no inexpensive gyms near my house, but I was lucky to find this one around the corner from my job.
  • dash108
    dash108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I pay 19.99 a month at Planet Fitness. I could have went for the $10 membership (limited to home gym only), but paying double allows me to bring in 1 guest everyday, I can visit any Planet Fitness and can use the massage chair/bed, as well as free tanning.
    It comes with a 39.99 annual fee, but I think it is worth it ;)
  • amosturtle
    amosturtle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have a Planet Fitness near you they are $10 or $20 a month! I love it! And there isn't a contract so you can cancel any time you want.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If it's a big franchise in an expensive area than that seems about right. I use retro fitness in an expensive area for $19.99 a month, BUT retro fitness charges the same price at every location...where as 24 hour fitness, New york sports club, etc. doesn't
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If you live in Manhattan, my gym is $20/month and it's great. Blink Fitness.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love PF! That's where I'm a member; I do the Gold because I enjoy getting a fake tan every now and then, and tanning prices at a salon are ridiculous! Have you ever done their fitness "classes"?
    Look and see if there is a Planet Fitness in your area. It's only $10/mth.
    Sorry I just looked at your location. I don't believe they are in that area yet :(
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    Never heard of Y for less than $20/mo even for individual, but they do have sliding fees if you don't make a lot.
    Yep, our Y is about the same...I was paying $65 a month for me and my daughter, but they were kind enough to give me a "financial scholarship" and I pay $20 a month right now. I feel VERY blessed that they helped me out like this, because its literally saving my life!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    when i lived closer to the city, I payed $90/month for my gym. it included a pool, racquetball, steam rooms, hot tubs, classes tons of cardio and 3 weight rooms! it pretty much had everything you could ever want. there was even an in house physical therapist, massage therapist and chiropractor, as well as a salon. if i still lived near this gym, i would still be there it was that good. Now I am relegated to planet fitness on days i am not with my trainer in a home gym. I love working with a trainer, so motivating and achieving such great results. so, if you get a lot of services for 80, it may be worth it. if you just want to run on a treadmill in a clean environment, i cannot see paying more than 10/month. if you want to be pushed and get incredible results a trainer at $50/session is well worth the expense. i guess it all comes down to what you are willing to pay for.