has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options
I'm debating on if I want to get a gym membership or not. I would rather work out at home, but I feel like I would become more fit or even lose weight faster if I joined a gym rather then working out at home.

Replies

• mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 lbs by eating well and doing workout video's
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently losing weight just working out at home. I have an elliptical in my room and some Jillian Michaels DVD's. It's nice saving the money and I don't feel embarrassed when I look like a sweaty mess.
  • jeccawest
    jeccawest Posts: 54
    Options
    I work out at home or go walking aorund the park. Why should I pay money to go workout in front of a bunch of strangers when I can workout in the comfort of my own home!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Never had a gym membership and have lost 16 pounds since Christmas. I do some Jillian Michaels dvds and the elliptical. You definitely don't need a gym membership to get fit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! I've lost nearly 22kg (close to 50 pounds) in the last year - by eating at a moderate deficit, running or walking around my neighbourhood and (just recently) doing some strenght training with some home gym gear.
    It's quite possible, but if you think you will be more motivated by going to a gym and they have classes that appeal to you - go for it!
  • Malrose01
    Malrose01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In the past I have lost approx 50 lbs, just watching what I eat and doing workout videos and walking. If you would prefer to work out at home, DO NOT purchase a gym membership. You won't go, and they get really crowded from about January to about May because of New Years people.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the YMCA. I admit that I haven't had much luck with losng weight when all I did was work out. I am seeing some results now that I am counting calories. Personally for me I like the membership because when I see other people workout I think if hemshe can do it then I can do it. Also, lately, the fact that I pay for it and pay extra to rent a locker helps me to keep coming back. At the Y there is the pool and classes people can look into. Free childcare in my Y. After my workout and shower (which showering without worrying about my boys see me naked is a plus. I love the sauna. Its your own personal choice that needs to come into play. I had an elipitical and didn't use it. I will not use videos in front of my family. The Y time is mee time. Maybe you can get a tria membership.just don't sign a contract.
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I lost 10kg (22lbs) in 10 weeks just using the MFP tools and calorie counting with some walking thrown in and an occasional pool walking session at the local community pool.

I have just joined a gym in the last week and my results are accelerating but it isn't essential to do gym work. Got a bike?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost 20lbs and dropped a pants size tracking my calories and doing workout DVDs at home. :smile:
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 lbs at home - whenever I joined a gym I notice that I would never go - and I would just loose all the money on the membership. Now I watch what I eat and and play the Wii Dance in my living room , maybe a few work out video's online and a few dumbels and tara - the weight comes off. The only thing that a gym has is a swimming pool - if you don't have one at home and a steam room . sauna- everything else you can either buy at a garage sell or just move around your house dancing.

I guess it's just a preference if you want to be around people or not - i prefer not.
  • marlabelle
    marlabelle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    142 el bees with out a gym baybay!
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    60lbs lost without a gym! :)
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 lbs. without a gym membership. I have three small kids and no one can make it to the gym regularly. I used my treadmill at the beginning but for the majority of my weight loss I have done Walk Away the Pounds and a few other aerobics routines from youtube.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have a membership. I've been 5 times maybe in the year i've had it.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I thought I would use a membership too, so I got a trial. I did not like it at all. Because of all the bodies, there was always a faint odor in the air, people didn't clean the equipment after they were done using it... I prefer the clean outside air. Also, doing exercising outside brings your core muscles into use more often as you have to balance on the bike, and you can use the curbs as a mini stepper.
  • littleredrodeo
    littleredrodeo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't really exercised much at all.... a one mile walk maybe twice a week. Myfitnesspal made me aware of how bad the choices I was makeing were. Just by changing what I eat now has been working for me. :)
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have lost 8 pounds while unable to work out.
  • daughter14
    daughter14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45lbs. without ever going to a gym. I walk and run at the park while my children are playing. I walk on my treadmill on bad weather days and I have jillian michaels 30day shred video. Who wants to go to a gym and pay money to have all those muscular fit people there looking at you because you are not in shape.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds by only calorie counting.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I had a gym membership for about 6 months through my husbands work...went maybe...10 times? LOL

I think it depends on if your a "gym person"...you know, someone who would get up, get dressed, and LIKE heading to the gym. Think about what you would do there. Would you use the treadmill? The elliptical? Would you lift weights? Maybe your gym offers classes (spin, yoga, zumba)?

I think these are all things to consider before you sign up. The gym my husband gets a discount for doesn't have any classes...which is really the only thing I like doing in a group setting. (I like zumba with a live instructor over the video)

I personally, was not a gym person. Its much easier for me to get myself moving if I only have to get to my living room, or walk out side. :laugh:

If your wanting to work out at home...here are some suggestions.

Walking! - I lost the majority of my weight by walking every night...then progressed into videos etc. (granted I still have another 60 to go!)
    Couch 2 5K - running plan
    Any workout video by Jillian Michaels - She will KILL you