To Low Carb or Not to Low Carb

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories.

BRB, eating 6,500 calories of bacon and eggs everyday and still losing weight.

If you think that is what I am saying to do, then go do some research on low-carb diets.

No, I'm using a ridiculous example to illustrate why your assertion that low carb dieters need not count calories is silly.

It is not silly at all. It is well known that low-carb diets are effective despite not requiring the dieter to count calories.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to be so rude?

I think it's because I wasn't breast fed
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Gonna have to agree with ACG on this one: Low carb does not mean NO carbs. Even Atkins Induction (the strictest phase) allows a specific number of carbs per day.

Unless of course you mean you eliminated groups of foods that contain high carbohydrate counts - like pasta and baked goods - and continued to consume carbs from other healthy sources.

I was using fitday.com to track my micronutrients before I joined this site, and I supplement in the areas I'm deficient in. Low carbing can definitely be done improperly - it's not as easy as eating cheeseburgers with no bun all the time :)
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    It is not silly at all. It is well known that low-carb diets are effective despite not requiring the dieter to count calories.

Do you have any evidence to back up that assertion?
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did low carbs for about two years at the end of high school. I went down from 155 to 117 and was the happiest I have ever remember being. That being said it's 5 years later and I was back to 155 again. This time I'm trying to lose weight with just low cal but the weight loss is definitely slower. It's been 2 months and I've only lost 6 pounds where I had lost about 10-15 with low carb.

I just don't see myself sticking with a low carb diet as a lifestyle change so that's why I'm trying low calories this time. I would be willing to spend a little longer time losing the pounds if it actually works and I still with it better but right now I don't really have a distinct answer since I'm just at the beginning of the journey.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    No, I'm using a ridiculous example to illustrate why your assertion that low carb dieters need not count calories is silly.

I found the best results came from low-carbing AND counting calories - but I'm definitely not doing 1200 a day like the rest of MFP.

I've said this on every other grain-free and low-carb post: do what works for you; but low-carbing does require a lot of research and attention to detail. Not wanting to count calories is not a valid reason for eating low-carb.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I found the best results came from low-carbing AND counting calories - but I'm definitely not doing 1200 a day like the rest of MFP.

I've said this on every other grain-free and low-carb post: do what works for you; but low-carbing does require a lot of research and attention to detail. Not wanting to count calories is not a valid reason for eating low-carb.

I'm not disputing that low-carb works better for some folks.
  • grinch031
    Options

So what exactly are you disputing?
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yum..carbs! Im a runner...I need carbs :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories.

If you think that is what I am saying to do, then go do some research on low-carb diets.

Which is why all ad lib studies show greater weight loss on low carb, right? Oh wait a sec, about 50% of them do not show any difference in weight loss.
  • grinch031
    Options

Which is why all ad lib studies show greater weight loss on low carb, right? Oh wait a sec, about 50% of them do not show any difference in weight loss.

Why must the weight loss be greater to be an effective dieting strategy?
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Why do you have to be so rude?

I think it's because I wasn't breast fed

that'll do it!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I :heart: carbs.

At 138 pounds down... it hasn't hurt me. :)
  • agauth79
    agauth79 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've started a semi low carb diet this week and have already seen 2.5 pounds go. And it really seems like it's coming from my fatty storage areas like my tummy and thighs, but maybe it's in my head. My main reason for doing this was to try and calm my carb cravings, get a jump start on weight loss so I don't get too unmotivated, and maybe get the fat off the problem areas easier. I don't feel the carb cravings, and don't feel hungry often - except on heavy exercise days. But, I also have had some issues with stomach aches and heachaches, which is probably a result in a rather dramatic change in diet from high carb to low carb. I try to make sure I still get a variety of veggies and lots of fiber in to make sure it's not completely unhealthy. I didn't feel well in my exercise class today, and am unsure if the low carb diet is to blame for that. Today was the first morning I had a slice of bread, so maybe it was a shock to my system after 3 days low carb. Or it could be just that i ate very early this morning and that by the time I started my class, I was running on empty. Or it could be that the substitute instructor was waaaaaay more brutal than the usual instructor. Or maybe a combination of all those things. I am sort of cycling the carbs. I did two 50g carb days, followed by two days of closer to 100 carbs. Once I get to a good spot, I am not sure if I will try to maintain low carb to some degree, or just go back to counting calories. At the very least I might make some changes in carb intake in the sense of less breads and sugars. In the end, I guess you need to find what works for you, and what you can maintain. And what keeps you healthy. Make sure you check with your doctor. Though, if s/he is old school, they may say low carb is dangerous. In which case, maybe check after you've started. I think after week two, I'll make an appointment for a physical and see how it turns out after trying this. Good luck, whatever you choose to go with.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So, my question is, are you/wopuld you follow the low-carb diet and why or why not?

Me? No. Never. As a normal healthy individual, there is no reason to introduce such a handicap and discomfort into my life.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Why must the weight loss be greater to be an effective dieting strategy?

You are correct, that statement was meant to say no more effective then another diet. It still can be effective
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Again I'm disputing your assertion that calories don't matter on a low carb diet. My question is: do you have any evidence to support that assertion?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    So, my question is, are you/wopuld you follow the low-carb diet and why or why not?

Me? No. Never. As a normal healthy individual, there is no reason to introduce such a handicap and discomfort into my life.
    ^^This^^
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You're talking LOW not NO carbs so I don't see a problem. I do LOW carb and have been for 2 + years now. I get my carbs on a regular basis from veggies, fruit and dairy. I seriously restrict my "white" carbs...bread, pasta, rice, crackers, cereals. I try to limit "white" and whole grain carbs to 1 small serving a day (1/2 a sweet potatoe, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 a small roll). I set my macros at 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat. Never had a problem. Unless I go on a pasta binge in which case it has the same affect as drinking too much wine...I fall asleep.
  • grinch031
    Options

Again I'm disputing your assertion that calories don't matter on a low carb diet. My question is: do you have any evidence to support that assertion?

I didn't say they don't matter, I'm saying that they are an effective weight loss strategy where the dieter doesn't need to restrict calories. In other words they can eat ad lib and still create a caloric deficit.