Mommy question??

Options

Replies

• emilyhawarah
    Options
    Ok... this might be extreme, but my daughter is 7. She is not allowed to wear make-up in public (obviously), but she loves to watch me get ready for work or special events. When she does this, I let her play in my make-up too because I want her to learn how to wear it correctly when the time comes. As she does this, we talk about what different things are and why they are good or when they are appropriate. I am hoping this helps A) alleviate the mysteriousness of makeup and B) let her know that it has a specific purpose. My goal as a Mommy is to keep an open dialogue (in appropriate ways) with her about life so that she feels comfortable talking to me about things when she is a teenager.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    14 or 15.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    this is one reason I'm glad I only have boys. Not that I didn't want a girl but I am glad not to have to deal with certain things :) I would think special occaisions in jr high with minimal but at least high school in general-at least out in public.
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had real strict parents. My friends wore full blown makeup before me but in 7th grade my parents let me wear powder and lip gloss. Blush, eye shadow, and lip stick wasn't added until like 10th grade and eyeline and mascara was only allowed for like prom in 11th and 12th grade.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    My daughter received a makeup set (full-blown works) for her birthday at age 5 from her best friend and her mother. I promptly put part of it in her own make-up bag which she is only allowed to use in the bathroom (to prevent makeup stains on the carpet) and must ask before getting it out. She knows she is not allowed to wear it out of the house, but I see little harm in allowing her to play dress-up with it. Honestly, she is 6 1/2 now and has only played with it 3 times. If I had kept it from her, I think she she would have desired it more. I don't plan on allowing her to wear makeup out of the house until she is in high school. :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of makeup we are talking about. Glittery chap-stick that smells like fruit. Cover up for a mark that bugging her. Or full blown makeup designed to attract the opposite sex. Full blown make up is going to wait till they can get a job and buy their own. Kid stuff or cover up for a birthmark that makes them uncomfortable.

This ^

And if you (and other women in their lives) are a good example for your daughters and you monitor their use of it, then it's ok. There ISN'T going to be a specific age "15, 18, 12, etc"

I think that generally a good parenting tactic is NOT to say "you are too young to learn about that", but to introduce things to kids as they are asking and curious about it.

If you make it a big deal and say "NO YOU MAY NOT UNTIL YOU ARE 17" and all their friends are, all you are doing is making them harbor resentment towards you (and maybe even rebel). If you say "SURE hunny, let's go pick out some fun pink sparkly lip balms!!" then it turns into a bonding experience and you can give them a LITTLE bit of leash but not TOO much. Kids need to explore their individuality and freedom, it is up to parents to give them a little bit at a time, and depending on how they deal with it, a little bit more. That is what good parenting is about.

It's all about what works for you and your daughters...and unfortunately how much peer pressure they are subjected too.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I let my older girls wear lip gloss and a little eyeshadow and concealer if they had something they were wanting to cover up around 12, mascara and eyeliner now that they are 14 and 15. I still reserve the right to say that is too much and make them wash it off it is garish or inappropriate. It also depends on where they are going how much they can wear. There are appropriate times and amounts for different occasions. If they are just experimenting and not leaving the house...as much as they want. If it is a dance performance obviously they wear LOTS more. Just to wear to school, they don't need much.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would say about 12 for nude/clear lip gloss and maybe a swipe of mascara.
    13-15 for any "natural" style makeup.
    16+ It should be their choice.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    It's my step daughter who is intersted in wearing it she is 11 and she has asked quite a few times...mostly cause most the other girls her age are already wearing it which is kinda crazy..I know I'm not ready for her to start wearing it yet but trying to get an idea of when would be a good age to start introducing her to it..I was thinking around 13 but still not really sure

I dont wear alot myself unless I'm going out or something and even then all i wear is eye make up
  • AnneH1977
    AnneH1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 14 and I just started letting her wear powder and lip gloss. But that's it. She can mess around with eyes, but no liner or heavy mascara at 16. She can do the rest on her own, if she chooses at 17, but I still reserve the right to nix her look if its horrid. At 18 I suppose she's free to do as she wishes, but will not hesitate to...comment...if she looks like a hooker. I'd rather she hear it from me (she hates me daily anyhow lol), then anyone else.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I allow my 5 year old I figure if they see you doing it and you tell them they can't it will cause them to get into it when you aren't looking or hide it from you in those preteen years. She has her own eye shadows and various lip things but bet she doesn't even put on any make up 98% of the time. Its mostly when she sees me add some lip gloss or something then she will ask if she can too.

I do the same thing with my 5 year old. I think make up for playtime with the little ones is perfectly fine. It is fun to pretend you are a grown up when you are little. As for everyday wear...I started in the 7th or 8th grade with Cover Girl Powder & lip gloss and clear mascara. It's super natural. Get the brown compact b/c it has Noxema in it which is good for the skin. I think that is simple and not skanky. I'm not a big make up person though. I love to wear it and feel super pretty when I do...but it is rare that I will...mainly bc I am too lazy. :) Even more fun....let your daughter put make up on YOU after you put it on her!! It will be a riot!!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Around age 12....7th grade...is when I let my girls start wearing it. Sparkly eye shadow, lip gloss...nothing heavy or too dark. This is usually the age when girls stat to want to experiment with hairstyles and make-up, it goes along with all their other "grown up" bodily changes. Usually a lot of the other girls in school are wearing it so they might want to fit in.

Concelear and powder at any age to help hide breakouts...why let them suffer with that!

I gave approval for my girls to use it, took them shopping for some fun colors, showed them how to use it with the understanding that if I don't like what they are doing with it they have to soften the look. My youngest is 12, she loves her sparkly eyes, my other daughter is 15 and only wears a smudge of brown eyeliner and my 20 year old wears makeup for special occasions and goes au natural most days.

Each child is different so you need to do what is right for your family.
  • csgray72
    csgray72 Posts: 39
    Options
    I would say about 12 for nude/clear lip gloss and maybe a swipe of mascara.
    13-15 for any "natural" style makeup.
    16+ It should be their choice.

This. This is almost exactly what we've done with our teen daughter. At 16 I'll help her learn base foundation but at almost 15 she wears mascara, lip gloss, eye shadow.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have two girls 7 & almost 5. I give them some makeup that I don't use to play around with- play dress up & stuff. I really don't let them just go out with it on though. If we're going somewhere I make them take it off since it usually looks a little clown-ish. :laugh:

I didn't really start wearing make-up until I was out of high school though. Not that I wasn't allowed- just not interested. I'd say for serious make-up 15/ high school age is the right age. Playing around with it when they're at home? My daughter's started around 4- they are really really girly though. When I was their age you had threaten punishment to get me into a dress. With my girls they would wear one daily if they could. :laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    They are going to do it whether you let them or not. The key is to know that, and approch it with love and understanding from their point of view, not yours. Especially, if you wear make up.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I will allow my daughter to wear maybe a colored chapstick and a little on her eyes when she starts asking and I feel she is responsible enough and I can trust her to not go crazy (every kid is different). Her skin is amazing and I dont believe she will need foundation...its bad for you and I wish I didnt have to wear it.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    They are going to do it whether you let them or not. The key is to know that, and approch it with love and understanding from their point of view, not yours. Especially, if you wear make up.

thats what I worry about
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Have you seen Toddlers & Tiaras? Yeah, start there. I mean they're perfectly normal, right?
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My girls have been allowed to play with makeup for some time now though not all that often. They usually get a kids make up kit each around Christmas and they get to wear lipbalm all they want. Once in a while they get to wear makeup like Mommy on the weekends. Halloween gets them their full faces done. Concealer gets used on picture day for my oldest and she gets to wear full makeup for her school performances. Once in a great while I will allow them to wear light colored eyeshadow (something barely noticable) to school if they have all their morning tasks checked off before I apply my makeup.

Sometimes we give each other make overs. The last time was really funny - the three of us looked like "Dallas" rejects. The time before that, we were shopping with my sister-in-law during the holiday sales. We were in Victoria's Secret so I got my two and my SIL's girls together and gave them makeovers with the samples while we waited for her to get done in the huge line. That was fun (and hilarious too).

My girls are 8 and 10. I bought my first compact and eyeshadow in 7th grade (9 or 10).
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My daughters are 13 and 12 now and I let them start wearing makeup when they were 10ish. They don’t wear a lot, just some foundation and mascara, light shadow. I guess it didn’t and don’t bother me. Wearing makeup didn’t change their attitudes or make them think they were more grown up. They are very responsible girls.