has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight so far with walking/running outside and using MFP to count my calories. You don't need one!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership, but go there to workout with my friend. I have lost more weight by the workouts I do at home I think. I love kinect and wii games.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28 pounds since beginning of January without a gym. I use exercise videos and some hand weights and when time and weather permit I get outside and walk. Also eating healthier.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership - I lost most of my weight using P90X at home and paying attention to my nutrition. I'm about to start Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution program (which is another 90 day fitness program, like P90X).

It's definitely doable without - but I do find working out only at home to be kind of monotonous (as I would probably feel about only going to the gym every day).
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No gym membership here just walking, videos or whatever I can think of that dosen't cost money. No excuses it can be done.
  • debradloff
    Options
    I lost 20lbs without a gym membership by using the MFP tools last year, for diet reasons alone. I will add however that I'm a yoga teacher, so I always take classes for free at the studio I teach at, but in terms of incorporating strength training and cardio, I've had a lot of success with workout DVD's, and weights that I bought for home use. I've also been a member of some gyms in my lifetime, and enjoy the facilities, but I don't think there's any actual proof that people lose more or less weight if they work out at home in comparison to a gym. I DO however, SWEAR by the buddy system. Since I've gotten together with a few friends, we hold each other accountable for our workouts( we don't workout at a gym, we usually get together at one of our houses and workout in the living room) , so that may also be a good option. I say, if you don't want to join a gym, do your workouts at home, but if you think a gym will motivate you, then join and go! All the best!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!! Running at home :) and bought some weights.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just a preference if you want to be around people or not - i prefer not.

That's the only difference for me, but it can be a big one. At the gym I end up more committed because of the atmosphere and I end up working out longer. I get motivated and energized by being around others.

At home it's a little harder for me to focus without getting distracted by things going on at home. But I do enjoy walking/running my neighborhood.

I'll eventually re-join a gym for the great equipment and energized atmosphere. (we have a good local gym, not sure all have the same 'energy'/feel)
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    i have gone to the gym once but otherwise i have just stuck with the calorie counting last year i lost 6lbs doing that and then this year i lost 4lbs just by counting. but some people are different do whats right for you
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    yep.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/526758--42lbs-the-bridesmaid-dress

Just posted my success story...the before and during...and it was all accomplished without a gym membership.

Mostly accomplished by lots of walking and making better food choices, neither of which require a gym membership to do!
  • najh4
    najh4 Posts: 28
    Options
    I was able to... at the time I didn't have money for a membership or any to buy DVD's so I made a work out mix on my computer, closed my shades and danced like a goon in my living room!! Threw push ups, lunges and sit ups... ran up and down the steps.. Lost 40 that way :)
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight last year at home. (50 lbs) and I have toned and lost 7 since I started the gym this year in February. Like anything, it is just what you put into it.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    100% of my workouts were in my living room. I'd love to have access to a gym but alas i make do with what I got. ;O)
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I have lost my initial weight last year without a gym membership (although i do currently have one)

I did the beachbody program Insanity 2 months in a row, ate healthier, and the pounds seemed to fly off. Oh yeah, and I sometimes did some wii workouts. You do not NEED a gym membership to lose weight whatsoever.

I agree with other posters...you get what you put into it. You could join a gym and lose a lot or a little, same with at home. :) Do what is best for YOU & your lifestyle! Best of luck!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a membership. I've been 5 times maybe in the year i've had it.

I have a gym membership and I also pay for a personal trainer at the gym. The main reason I signed up for the personal trainer is because I have no will power. I wouldn't go to the gym on my own. I would come up with every reason why I couldn't go. If I have an appointment, it forces me to go. You can definitely lose weight without the gym though. Watch your calories, go for walks, ride a bike etc.
  • JennyWLS
    JennyWLS Posts: 7
    Options
    Gym membership isn't even an option for me, I live in the "country". I love being outside!

Couch to 5k and eating right has helped me lose over 20lbs (just 12 since I started here)
  • Helloyall
    Options
    Yah, used some techniques from full body licious(its a program, found it at http://finest-review.com/full-body-licious-review/ and it didn't require a gym membership... worked pretty good
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    "where" you exercise doesnt change how many calories you burn... unless you're not enjoying it. If you dont like going to the gym- clear up some space in your living room and get a workout video & some hand weights ... there are SO many good videos you could do different ones each day. They key is consistnacy. Don't stop.
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started go to a local park and wogging then bought a 30 Day shred video, been shredding ever since. Great workout "that only lasts 20 minutes"

I bought a few hand weights along the way, too. Who needs a gym.

WOGGING?
    Im guessing its a walking jogging?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight at every weigh-in save one, where I stayed the same as the previous week. I'm losing weight slowly but steadily ( don't want to do it too fast) and I'm smaller, tighter, and feel a lot better. I have never been to a gym in my life.