One phrase that people say that make you CRAZY!

Options

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

These ones? I totally get what you are saying, but I can't figure out what I should be saying instead? Help a girl out. If I were to ask "do you like these ones or those ones?" That would be wrong?

Would you like these? Or those?

(Or, if the choice is between two different packs of paper: would you prefer the yellow or the green? I'm still at work: it's all office supplies right now.)
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I cringe when I hear "My/your/his/her BAD",
    "Y'all",
    and when people are referred to as "folks", in order of which makes me cringe the most to the least.

As well, any kind of bad grammer...the worst offender being, "I seen..." when it should be "I saw..." Ugh!

And I also hate the "You should have..." My mother uses that all the time and it drives me CRAZY!!

Y'all, did you know that grammar is spelled with an 'a'?

My bad.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Reading forums, I'm getting sick of "^^this" and "+1". It's pretty lazy. How hard is it to type "I agree"?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    "Dr. Oz said ... "
  • perfectionxbreakdown
    Options
    When couples say WE'RE pregnant...really?! you're both gonna swell up, gain 20-30 lbs, deliver a 7-8lb baby and get stitches??!! NO! only the woman is pregnant!

It bothered me when my boyfriend referred to the recent pregnany as my pregnany. She is OUR baby; therefore, it was OUR pregnancy. Yes I am the one who carried her, gave up my body, gained 40lbs, got major stretch marks, had a preterm labor scare and 4 day hospitalization, ended up going overdue after 11 weeks on bedrest, went through labor and a vacuum-assisted delivery, and had 16 stitches after an episiotomy and 4th degree tear, all without any pain medication- but she is still ours; our baby, our pregnancy. Our family.

In other words, when men say "it's your pregnancy" to their woman. :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Head and finger shaking
    "nuh uh girlfriend"
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My husband annoys me insanely when he says "the fact of the matter is..." I feel like he's saying whomever he is talking to is not intelligent to pick up on the facts he presented before he said that phrase! And he says it all the time!

I agree wholeheartedly with "irregardless" and "I could care less"

And how about when people say "pacific" instead of "specific"? You didn't Pacifically (ocean) ask for no pickles on your burger, you specifically asked for no pickles!!! GRRRRRR! (And yes I really growl out loud when annoyed :laugh: )
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    FAIL and EPIC. ...even worse when used together.

^^THIS^^

Note:
    1. "EPIC" is a noun (a long poem, usu. narrating the saga of a hero or legendary figure)
    2. "FAIL" is a verb, "FAILURE" is a noun

So, the slang- EPIC FAIL- technically means "To be poetically unsuccessful"

[like anybody cares :laugh:]

Actually, 'epic' is also an adjective. For instance, "The Odyssey is an epic poem". The annoyance factor comes from its overuse and the fact that it is almost always an exaggeration.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Head and finger shaking
    "nuh uh girlfriend"

oh no you did-n't!!

ha.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    This isn't a phrase, just a word, but I hate it when people use the word "Ugh" on FB or MFP or any kind of email. None of those people actually say that word when they are talking.
    I do use 'ugh' at times when I'm talking and that's when I use it in certain types of writing to better represent what I would say if I were speaking.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a "phrase" but I hate it when people tell me to smile. Unless you are taking a picture of me, do not tell me to smile. I am not some monkey in a cage that does tricks like smile on command. I could be having a really bad day and don't feel like smiling!

3797.jpg

^love this, it was exactly what I was going to say. Just because I'm not actively smiling doesn't mean that I'm unhappy, and there's nothing more guaranteed to wind me up than for someone to say "cheer up it might never happen" to me. How do they know what type of a ****ty day you've had? IT might have already happened!
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    You have such a pretty face :grumble:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    When couples say WE'RE pregnant...really?! you're both gonna swell up, gain 20-30 lbs, deliver a 7-8lb baby and get stitches??!! NO! only the woman is pregnant!

It bothered me when my boyfriend referred to the recent pregnany as my pregnany. She is OUR baby; therefore, it was OUR pregnancy. Yes I am the one who carried her, gave up my body, gained 40lbs, got major stretch marks, had a preterm labor scare and 4 day hospitalization, ended up going overdue after 11 weeks on bedrest, went through labor and a vacuum-assisted delivery, and had 16 stitches after an episiotomy and 4th degree tear, all without any pain medication- but she is still ours; our baby, our pregnancy. Our family.

In other words, when men say "it's your pregnancy" to their woman. :)

I have two lovely children whom I squeezed out of my little under 5'2" frame...I carried them, breastfed them and wear the stretchmarks to this day. My gorgeous husband of 24 years was at their birth, diapered them, walked the floor at three am with them, helped toilet train them...etc...of course they are OURS....BUT I was the only one pregnant!!
  • PCOSucks
    PCOSucks Posts: 15
    Options
    God works in mysterious ways.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Most people probably don't hear this but I listen to firefighter, paramedics and police officers say this on the radio all the time: "at this time...." No *kitten* at this time, you are saying it over a radio now, would it be in the past of the future?
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    im tired of seeing "YOLO," "leh'go," and "just sayin" on facebook.
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    And how about when people say "pacific" instead of "specific"? You didn't Pacifically (ocean) ask for no pickles on your burger, you specifically asked for no pickles!!! GRRRRRR! (And yes I really growl out loud when annoyed :laugh: )

I meant peacefully. I asked for no pickles very peacefully. Like a pacifist might do. I'm not gonna fight you about the pickles.
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Take it easy- its so patronising!!!
    And I agree with the 'oh you dont need to lose weight, theres nothing on you' erm there clearly is else I wouldnt be doing this.
    In fact there are a few that make me mad!
    'Oh Im well Jel' is it too much effort to say jealous?
    Lol!
    xxxx

I HATE it when someoe tells me to "take it easy" or "calm dowm" specially my husband. I feel like screaming at him "I was calm before you told me to be calm not I want to rip your head off."
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry you feel that way"

Because it basically translates to "I'm not sorry I did what I did, only that you responded so poorly". You might as well just keep that to yourself.

I Agree!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When people say 'you deserve so much better' or ' you can do so much better' after a break up