Anyone else doing protein shakes??

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    WorkoutMaine and Elizabeth_C34 . . . I am absolutely going to try out your recipes!

You can also use flavored yogurts (not greek) if you don't like the taste of greek yogurt. I like stuff not so sweet, but if you want something sweeter you can do that also. You can also add honey to it to give it a nice sweet taste.
  • tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    I freeze strawberries and throw them in a blender (50 calories worth) to my 190 calorie vanilla protein shake and add 6 ounces of water. Its the bomb.com!!!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I use them for post work out when I know I won't get a chance to eat pretty soon after. For the gross majority of my protein, it's consumed as part of my normal daily intake.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a shake every day, right now I'm big on chocolate banana, chocolate PB banana, and pina colada banana. I drink them because they're cheap, easy to make and clean up, portable, and because I rarely eat meat they help me get 100+ grams of protein a day and help me feel more full. They've started to really become an addiction lately lol.
  • mandyjoy12
    mandyjoy12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I literally just started and have been trying the slim fast 321 program and I love it. Not even doing the bored fridge raids! Yet......:wink:
  • lpelayomaui
    Options
    I started using one to lower my cholesterol and ultimately lost 16 pounds. I still drink my Shake everyday because it has so many vital nutrients in it to replenish my body from the nutrients I don't get elsewhere. I don't take any other vitamins. I eat clean, and workout 5 - 6 days a week depending on my schedule. I've also lost 26 inches, and 15,5% body fat. If you want to know what Shake I use, I would be happy to share that info with you!
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If "BeckyLawrence" and I don't drink them.. why should anyone else?

ALL supplements are a SCAM + USELESS. They make BILLIONS of dollars by fooling 15yo boys and overweight housewives into buying them. Avoid them. Trust me.
    I didn't come here on this site for advice. I'm an experienced 29yo natural bodybuilder who's researched bodybuilding/drugs/supps for Years.. and I spend 99.999% of my "online time" reading posts from BODYBUILDERS.. NOT overweight people asking for help.
    So listen and learn (if I come across as arrogant/cocky.. that's your problem. I'm just trying to help you all + open your eyes).

ALL those muscular bodies you see on tv is a result of drugs. Not ab-machines, not supps, not diet plans.....

That's all I'm writing as I've already been warned Twice now for writing the TRUTH. Good luck.

yup, you do come across as arrogant and cocky, and you might remember that while you look great today, some of us did too 30 years ago, life can get in the way.. but you don't know what that means... your too busy telling other people to avoid proven choices for getting protein into your body.

I'm not big on a protein shake as a full meal substitute myself, but whey protein is hardly a scam. You have to read labels, know what is really a protein shake, and what amounts to nothing more than bad tasting Nestle chocolate mix.

Too many people who use supps and protein and have solid results to even give your comments any credibility.
  • VeronicaSundquist
    Options
    I do a protein shake called 'Shakeology' its a meal replacement 18g of protein per scoop and only 150 calories!
    Good job on your weight loss!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If "BeckyLawrence" and I don't drink them.. why should anyone else?

ALL supplements are a SCAM + USELESS. They make BILLIONS of dollars by fooling 15yo boys and overweight housewives into buying them. Avoid them. Trust me.
    I didn't come here on this site for advice. I'm an experienced 29yo natural bodybuilder who's researched bodybuilding/drugs/supps for Years.. and I spend 99.999% of my "online time" reading posts from BODYBUILDERS.. NOT overweight people asking for help.
    So listen and learn (if I come across as arrogant/cocky.. that's your problem. I'm just trying to help you all + open your eyes).

ALL those muscular bodies you see on tv is a result of drugs. Not ab-machines, not supps, not diet plans.....

That's all I'm writing as I've already been warned Twice now for writing the TRUTH. Good luck.

Funny, my husband is a former competitive all-natural body builder. He used protein shakes all the time. He still advises them. I have used them for years and have lost 138 pounds.
  • kari40
    kari40 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like them as a meal or after a workout. I make them with soy milk for half the calories and all the taste. Not only that but I love my cappuccinos and soy milk (Soy Slender) has a cappuccino flavor! :bigsmile:
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used Horley's Sculpt at the moment for breakfast to save time, and I'll have one after a workout if I've gone longer or harder than usual :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options
    And to answer other questions on this thread:

I just use EAS products or Premier Nutrition brand. I like them both, and I always use whey, not soy or other forms of protein.

I love adding vanilla EAS powder to 6 oz water, 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, half a banana, and lots of ice. Blend into a nice thick shake. It tastes awesome, the flax keeps things "moving", and I feel full for quite a while. Plus protein is our friend.

I drink shakes at least three meals a week, some weeks much more often. I use them as a meal replacement when I'm not overly hungry, but I know I won't be home for a while (grocery shopping day is usually one of those times). I'll also make a double chocolate milkshake as a treat at night when I still have calories left for the day. Who needs cookies or other crap at night when you can have chocolatey creamy goodness in the form of protein instead? Yumm-O!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options
    Understand that "I come from" popular BODYBUILDING forums and we (to be honest with you) make fun of people like you all (though I don't) who are out of shape and buy supps, go to the gym, buy Zumba dvds........

Get it? I laugh at all your little comebacks. I'm so far ahead of you people in terms of "fitness knowledge" that you all should be calling me "God". It's hilarious how 40yo overweight women have the nerve to call me a troll.

Why in the world do you come to this site, let alone this thread, if you are so superior to everyone here? So glad my body builder husband is NOTHING like you. Never was. He is a wealth of information and is a terrific trainer to our son who is an outstanding athlete.

And really, people like you're describing- making fun of people going to the gym, buying Zumba dvd's, etc- at least they're doing something, albeit successfull or not- to try and improve their situation. I feel sorry for you and your kind. Ever hear of karma? It's a b i t c h.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Ignoring all this screaming and shouting

@OP: I use them. Alot of my trainer friends, who've btw produced world champions, have recommended that I add that into my diet. Its specially good if you're doing strength training.

Personally, I think 2 shakes a day might be alot depending on how much workout you're doing and how hard you're doing it. I myself use it only on days when I do strength training and usually right after a workout. Keep in mind that it's got good amount of calories in itself.

Try a chocolate shake with low-fat milk after a workout! Its freaking delicious!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only use a protein supplement when I'm doing strength training so usually 2-3 times a week and when doing a lot of more intensive cardio (I have basketball training on Wednesday nights which includes a session of HIIT and then another 2 hours of social pick up games). Any other times I'll make sure protein is consumed via normal meals throughout the day.

I'll stress the point that this is just me personally saying what I do personally and in no way am I saying what others do is wrong. I'm no fitness trainer or nutritionist, but I have done a bit of reading on my own and do work with a few guys who are amateur body builders.
  • Maz9624
    Maz9624 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am using them as meal replacements twice daily.

But isn't the point of this site to re-educate your system, learn to have healthy food choices and cook from scratch to get a healthy intake? I'm concerned for you that two chocolate shakes a day isn't going to do that, and whilst you might lose the weight, how will you maintain once you get to goal?
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake every morning. Thoroughly enjoy it and feel satisfied for hours. I wake up looking forward to it.
  • yojaseyrae
    Options
    this guy is hilaaaaaarious!

right, i'm not an "ignorant" person...i'm a semi-professional fitness model and am training to compete in fitness and figure competitions...this guy is talking out of his a**

LET ME CLEAR THIS UP FOR EVERYONE...if you see this guy's profile, in his inspirations he lists "steroid/hgh abusing celebrities" ...AND THERE WE HAVE IT. if you want that kind of body without supps or going to the gym, ABUSE STEROIDS. i personally don't want to shove my body full of drugs like steroids and certainly not to "abuse" them...so i drink protein shakes and work the **** out.

that's why this guy is telling you not to drink protein shakes...he doesn't need to because he's a 'roid head, nice ooone!

and if you're really on this site it pick up fitness chicks, acting like a ****head turns off ANY woman, no matter what their weight.

see you later mate
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I love the Muscle Milk Lite flavors pre-mixed. I don't like the powder, always taste chalky to me. I drink Muscle Milk as a meal supplement, usually in the morning because my stomach can not handle food until I have been awake a few hours. I have a hearty lunch with the bulk of my daily calories and a small dinner. Sometimes I just don't get hungry so instead of skipping a meal I will drink it!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is raging at each other, and after reading this whole thread, MachineMadeIn is hot headed but he is pretty much right when it comes to protein shakes being for athletes and body builders because it serves a purpose. To get quick absorbing protein for recovery and what other reasons there are i can't be bothered listing. However, despite whey protein and such being first used by body builders and athletes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with normal people using them to replace meals. Whey protein in general is just another source of 'food' in my opinion, and even though eating whole unprocessed fresh protein (chicken breast, steak, turkey, fish etc) is much more thermogenic than whey protein itself, in the end, people can do what ever they want.

But weight loss is dead simple. eat a calorie deficit and exercise, no need to use supplements. supplements are used to SUPPLEMENT your usual diet with the missing components that it lacks. If you're not getting enough protein from whole lean protein sources, sure, have a shake. But if you are able to afford and prepare your meals with lean meats and vegetables, don't waste your money on supplements.

So everyone, don't get all butt hurt and offended by people's opinions or the scientific fact that they give you which has been proven with hard research and studies. DO WHATEVER YOU WANNA DO