Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• annpersand
    annpersand Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just saw this forum post come up on my feed and clicked on it... without sounding like too much of a noob, what's a bump? :smile:

Also I'd really love to know the article you're all referring to! Any chance of a link or something pls? :smile:

I lost about 24lb 18months ago by severely restricting my cals and carbs but it made me exhausted and miserable!! I then stopped losing and struggled to maintain my new weight until I started eating a bit more again and training for a half marathon (which saw me lose another 5lbs). But injury forced me to stop and in the last 9 months I've put on about 30lbs :(

I've just been reading about the Spike Diet and have started it over the last few days - have to eat my BMR (about 1550 cals) 3 days a week, clock in around 1000 cals 3 days a week (eating 1550 but using cardio), and then have one day a week where I go mad and eat around 3000 cals!

Can't wait to see how it goes. The idea of actually being able to eat and still lose weight would be nothing short of a miracle - just want to find a sustainable way to be happy with my size!
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bumping the new thread! I love checking this out everyday to see what new information is shared!

Yep, Me too!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that the simple question I asked about women eating more than 1800 calories has turned into a "Part 2" so glad to see everyone on here talking about it and trying it.

I personally have been doing this for almost 3wks now and have gone up in weight, but I have been very sore and have not had many rest days so I am going to give myself a few days off from the gym and see if I shed some water weight.

One positive note is that I am way stronger at the gym and faster in my sprinting !!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The longer I do this, the more I'm convinced that scales are completely useless.

I went on maintenance in October at 1700 plus exercise calories when I reached 126 pounds, and slowly over the next 3-4 months (including the winter holidays and an injury), went up to 133. One pound was during January when I pretty much took the entire month off while I recovered from my stress fracture and stopped logging my food. But going by measurements, photos and how clothes fit, I was smaller and tighter at 133 than I was at 125. So I had no interest in losing weight.

In February, I started logging my food and exercising again, easing back into running by starting C25K, with my adjusted maintenance goal of 1730 plus exercise calories. By the end of February, I was down 1 pound. By March 10th, two weeks later, I'd lost two more, so I was 130 pounds.

Last week, I increased my calorie goal, changing my settings from lightly active to active (I'm a housewife, artist and web publisher... I'm not all that active when I'm not exercising), with a new goal of 1840. I netted over 1800 every day this week, possibly more because on weekends, I don't log my food (and pigged out on half price appetizers at Applebees on Saturday night)... and I'm down another pound.

Bizarre.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    OK, y'all. I just can't keep this to myself. Since we all seem to be ladies posting here, I hope this doesn't offend anyone (I'll probably take it down soon anyway).

I've been making an effort to eat back all my exercise calories, for a total intake of anywhere between 1700-2000 calories for the past month (and I keep track of calories burned during my strength sessions as well as cardio). I seem to be maintaining more than losing, although occasionally, I'll lose a half a pound here or there. In the past 5 months, I've only lost a total of 6 pounds.
    Now, if I were going by the scale alone, I would be discouraged at my lack of progress. Even though I'm feeling pretty good where I am and even though I can see progress in other ways, I've still been wondering if maybe I should cut my calories a bit. I tend to second-guess myself.
    But I took another set of progress pics yesterday to compare. Although the angle and lighting is a bit different, I am pleased enough with the progress I can see to stay my course. :smile:

weightlifting.jpg

(I keep staring at that 2nd picture. I can't believe it's me. I never thought I would be able to look like that again after children. :smile:)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    OK, y'all. I just can't keep this to myself. Since we all seem to be ladies posting here, I hope this doesn't offend anyone (I'll probably take it down soon anyway).

I've been making an effort to eat back all my exercise calories, for a total intake of anywhere between 1700-2000 calories for the past month (and I keep track of calories burned during my strength sessions as well as cardio). I seem to be maintaining more than losing, although occasionally, I'll lose a half a pound here or there. In the past 5 months, I've only lost a total of 6 pounds.
    Now, if I were going by the scale alone, I would be discouraged at my lack of progress. Even though I'm feeling pretty good where I am and even though I can see progress in other ways, I've still been wondering if maybe I should cut my calories a bit. I tend to second-guess myself.
    But I took another set of progress pics yesterday to compare. Although the angle and lighting is a bit different, I am pleased enough with the progress I can see to stay my course. :smile:

weightlifting.jpg

(I keep staring at that 2nd picture. I can't believe it's me. I never thought I would be able to look like that again after children. :smile:)

All I can say is , "WOW!!!" You look like a totally different person!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I wish I would have thought to get a picture like this at my "before" weight! But at 188lbs, I didn't like pictures of myself taken *at all*, much less in my underwear. :tongue:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Ok - update - I increased my calories from 1300 to 1500 last week and I have more energy for my workouts, but I have gained 2 lbs since. I know I said I was going to give it two weeks and not freak out, but ... I'm kinda freaking out.... Somebody PLEASE talk me down - I really want to cut my calories back again. HELP!!!!! I have this inner dialogue going on - half of me thinks that if I give it another week, it will be ok and I'll go back down, the other half thinks that everyone is different and I shouldn't calculate my calories on what works for everyone else.

Stick with it a bit longer!

I've been eating 1800 for a week now and I have much more energy already.

I know I don't want to eat 1400 calories for the rest of my life and knowing I never have to again makes me feel soooo good!!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

weightlifting.jpg

Wow! What an inspiration. I guess a big part of the worry for me right now is I am in a weight loss contest at work that ends the last weekend in April. I feel like having the contest in the back of my mind is a bad motivator for me because I know that if I drop my calories and stop exercising - I'll win the contest. I'm just going to keep my head in the game and do what I'm doing - I may win the contest anyway. Going to keep my head in the game and feel better for it.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback! You guys are awesome. I really love this site.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1800-1900 cals per day and maintaining at 125 lbs!:smile:
    This makes me want to bang my head against a wall. I'm eating the same amount and am no where near 125. Even working out 10 times a week. GRRRR!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    The longer I do this, the more I'm convinced that scales are completely useless.

I went on maintenance in October at 1700 plus exercise calories when I reached 126 pounds, and slowly over the next 3-4 months (including the winter holidays and an injury), went up to 133. One pound was during January when I pretty much took the entire month off while I recovered from my stress fracture and stopped logging my food. But going by measurements, photos and how clothes fit, I was smaller and tighter at 133 than I was at 125. So I had no interest in losing weight.

In February, I started logging my food and exercising again, easing back into running by starting C25K, with my adjusted maintenance goal of 1730 plus exercise calories. By the end of February, I was down 1 pound. By March 10th, two weeks later, I'd lost two more, so I was 130 pounds.

Last week, I increased my calorie goal, changing my settings from lightly active to active (I'm a housewife, artist and web publisher... I'm not all that active when I'm not exercising), with a new goal of 1840. I netted over 1800 every day this week, possibly more because on weekends, I don't log my food (and pigged out on half price appetizers at Applebees on Saturday night)... and I'm down another pound.

Bizarre.
    Seriously. I hate you. :laugh:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9, 215lbs - 51 years old, and have just in the past two weeks upped my total calories eaten from 1500 - 1600 to 2100 - 2400 calories per day... This includes eating most of my exercise calories (previously I would only eat about 40 - 50% of them)

This has decreased my daily calorie deficit from over 1100 per day to around 600 / 700 per day (as measured with my Bodymedia Fit) , and I have seen a 7 lb loss in two weeks on the scale (this is after a 4 month plateau)

I know my losses will get smaller - but as long as I see some movement I will be happy!!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Ok - update - I increased my calories from 1300 to 1500 last week and I have more energy for my workouts, but I have gained 2 lbs since. I know I said I was going to give it two weeks and not freak out, but ... I'm kinda freaking out.... Somebody PLEASE talk me down - I really want to cut my calories back again. HELP!!!!! I have this inner dialogue going on - half of me thinks that if I give it another week, it will be ok and I'll go back down, the other half thinks that everyone is different and I shouldn't calculate my calories on what works for everyone else.

Stick with it a bit longer!

I've been eating 1800 for a week now and I have much more energy already.

I know I don't want to eat 1400 calories for the rest of my life and knowing I never have to again makes me feel soooo good!!

Amen.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1800-2200. I should eat 2200 though. I'm trying to gain weight. So far, I'm seeing more muscle development, just gotta keep getting the calories in.
  • smbh45
    smbh45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what others have responded but I question whether 1500 calories is enough to get your metabolism going again. Yes I think it is wise to up slowly but I would think that unless you are very sedentary and very short 1500 wouldn't convince your body to speed up the metabolism. I guess it depends on how long you were eating below your BMR and what your BMR is though. 1500 has not worked well for me in the past. I thought originally it was too high and yes for a while 1340 worked well. Now I am wondering if it wasn't too low since when I started here I was already exercising regularly. I am now at 1700 and am maintaining and may be slowly losing. I am wondering if to get my metabolism going I may have to up it to maintenance for a while. I am just a bit above my BMR. Just my initial reaction.
  • KeriA
    Options
    Hi,

I just saw this forum post come up on my feed and clicked on it... without sounding like too much of a noob, what's a bump? :smile:

Also I'd really love to know the article you're all referring to! Any chance of a link or something pls? :smile:

I lost about 24lb 18months ago by severely restricting my cals and carbs but it made me exhausted and miserable!! I then stopped losing and struggled to maintain my new weight until I started eating a bit more again and training for a half marathon (which saw me lose another 5lbs). But injury forced me to stop and in the last 9 months I've put on about 30lbs :(

I've just been reading about the Spike Diet and have started it over the last few days - have to eat my BMR (about 1550 cals) 3 days a week, clock in around 1000 cals 3 days a week (eating 1550 but using cardio), and then have one day a week where I go mad and eat around 3000 cals!

Can't wait to see how it goes. The idea of actually being able to eat and still lose weight would be nothing short of a miracle - just want to find a sustainable way to be happy with my size!
    If you haven't already I would go back to the original post and read through part 1 of this post - very enlightening and lots of information.
  • KeriA
    Options

weightlifting.jpg

Wow! What an inspiration. I guess a big part of the worry for me right now is I am in a weight loss contest at work that ends the last weekend in April. I feel like having the contest in the back of my mind is a bad motivator for me because I know that if I drop my calories and stop exercising - I'll win the contest. I'm just going to keep my head in the game and do what I'm doing - I may win the contest anyway. Going to keep my head in the game and feel better for it.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback! You guys are awesome. I really love this site.
    I can relate to this. I am moderating a weight loss challenge in my group. I took it over since the past moderator was having some health issues and couldn''t do it. It is a great group of MFPals but I feel like for now I just need to get my metabolism going and not focus on weight loss yet. It is almost over but they are already talking about the next one. I am thinking about what to say. I love the group but weight loss challenges really don't work for me I have decided.
  • KeriA
    Options
    I had been watching to see if people were posting on this thread not realizeing it went to the next page already. I have been maintaining and may be slowly losing at 1700 calories and exercise calories. However the question I have is if I don't get up to maintenance calories am I really giving my body a chance to reset its metabolism before I try to lose again. I have been at between 1500 -1340 calories for 1.5 years which is below my BMR of 1640. I am doing as well now or better than I was on 1350 in terms of weight loss and I am eating better so I am happy but to eventually lose I feel I need to go further. I will give it another week at 1700 and then if I am not losing I am going to try upping instead of lowering. I have decided I am not going to lower my calories until I have been on maintenance for a while. I am hoping to get my loss going by upping my calories. Anyway as someone has said if you aren't losing anyway what have you got to lose by upping your calories. Less than you have to gain which is good nutrition for your body. I am just wondering if I have raised them enough.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Femtec, it might take a little time to adjust. What are you doing for exercise?
    I am planning to start a 3x5 lifting program 3 days per week, but I was going to follow the calorie guidelines of the New Rules of Lifting for Women:
    1. Step 1 - weight in kg
    2. resting metabolic rate - run this equation: 795 + (7.18 x body weight in kilograms) = resting metabolic rate
    3. Step 3 - body mass index - there's a table in the book, so if you don't know your BMI, give me your height (imperial measurements) and your weight (in pounds).
    4. Daily activities multipliers - If your BMI is under 25, your multipliers are: a) no workout = 1.6, b) active workout day = 1,8, c) strenuous work and active workout day = 2.0. HERE IS WHAT YOU EAT: on a non workout day, multiply your Step 2 number by 1.6 and on a workout day, multiply your Step 2 number by 1.8. Those are your calories (for non-workout and workout days, respectively).
    5. Eat like that for ONE MONTH. Then, you can add in a small deficit, perhaps 300 calories per day.

So, going to try it for one month even though it seems really high-1800 for me on rest days!

What are the multipliers if your BMI is above 25?