Eggs

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Only use the egg white! WAY less calories and cholestorol...and big time PROTEIN!!! I make mine using a little mrs. dash for flavor :)
    All the nutrition is in the yolk, eating only the whites is pretty much eating cardboard, nutritionally speaking.

I eat 2-3 eggs a day.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I use whole eggs, eat them a lot. I hate scrambled eggs but will eat them any other way. Had an omelet for breakfast and lunch today.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been eating egg whites everyday for the longest period. Not high in calories. Helps me get my share of protein :-)
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    For breakfast a lot of times I boil 2 eggs, cut up while warm and eat with some Chalula hot sauce...YUM!
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I eat the hell out of some eggs. Then again, I'm doing the ketogenic diet!

me too! 6 eggs and 4 strips of bacon with cheddar every morning! o and real cream in my coffee!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes I think the OP needs to give more info on where they got 955 for 5 eggs from.

5 eggs? Really?

Even at that, at about 70 per egg, allowing a little for butter, that'd be about 400 cals.

I have scrambled eggs most mornings - usually one whole and one white, with whatever veg I have to hand - spinach, mushroom, tomato.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love eggs. they keep me full and happy and warm all morning. i refuse to switch to egg white or egg beaters. they just dont taste as good.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes I think the OP needs to give more info on where they got 955 for 5 eggs from.

5 eggs? Really?

Even at that, at about 70 per egg, allowing a little for butter, that'd be about 400 cals.

I have scrambled eggs most mornings - usually one whole and one white, with whatever veg I have to hand - spinach, mushroom, tomato.

It was a user-entered entry in the database, clearly someone typoed when entering calories as it was entered as 191 calories per egg. The (non-user-entered) value for scrambled eggs is 101 per egg.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I really don't like eggs at all, but I do make myself eat them occasionally when I am low on protein.
  • GoLeowechanged
    Options
    What in the world are egg beaters? I eat eggs, I like them, boiled, scrambled, poached. I've never heard of egg beaters.
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    I eat a scrambed egg every single day. I have my egg sandwich, which consists of 2 slices of bread, a slice of cheese, and the egg, my vitamins, and 1/2 glass fat free milk mixed w/ 1/2 glass lowfat chocolate.. I look forward to this!! :smile:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends greatly on what you put in them, and what your use to keep them from sticking. I like putting vegetables in... today I used marinaded artichoke hearts (so no additional butter or oil), a handful of raw spinach, 6 cherry tomatoes, a clove of chopped garlic, and 2 large eggs. Topped it all off with a 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. (Depending on which calorie counter I use, that's 220-300 calories. MFP says the 220 and it has the information for the brands I used, so I think it's more accurate.) I get more vitamins and make it easier to eat my vegetables. (I'm not a big fan of veggies, so I put them in other things.)

I've done this with a variety of different vegetables... zucchini, olives, sweet peppers, potatoes (although that's slightly more calories, it's nice when you're in the mood). The tomato sauce is optional. When I want some salt and have the calories to use, I might sprinkle some parmesan on top. Sometimes I'll use a small amount of butter or olive oil, other times I use the water or oils from the vegetables.

All these things add bulk and most don't add many calorie... what you add depends on your taste. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, if you like. (Some research indicates that spicy food may help to reduce hunger.)

But if you like your scrambled eggs plain, cook them yourself with as little oil or butter as you can manage and count up the calories of the ingredients, and I bet it's less than 955 for 5 eggs. Restaurants tend to go heavy on the butter and other oils... it's easier to cook quickly that way and adds flavor, sometimes covering other lower quality ingredients. Lots of people add whole milk or other ingredients that add calories. So, the 955 might be accurate for an average restaurant.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I use 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites.....it's about 105 cals and 14g protein

Haha me too!
  • cherylastone1
    cherylastone1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every single day. I love them. I don't eat a lot of red meat or fast food so I don't worry about the cholesterol. People have been eating them for thousands of years, why stress over them? Once in a while I'll eat egg whites, but I don't like them as much.

I eat eggs EVERY SINGLE day too. They are a great source of protein - filling and good for you. I get my cholesterol checked regularly. It is never high. If you are not restricted from them for medical reasons, eat them!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cook a little chopped onions, red peppers and turkey sausage crumbles. Pour egg beaters over them for an omelet and add a little reduced fat feta cheese. Still under 200 calories for breakfast and I feel full for hours. Sprinkle a little oregano over top too!

1/2 cup egg beaters in a mug with diced up low fat laughing cow swiss cheese and cook in the microwave... yummy. Google Hungry Girl Egg Mug and you will find lots of great recipes.

We only use real eggs on the weekend as a treat. My husband loves them over medium with some turkey sausage. I like them scrambled with some Canadian bacon. Morning Star veggie sausage is very good too. They now have a hot and spicy patties.

Try one yolk and 2 egg whites instead if it's too much fat for you. Or 1 egg and 1/4 cup of egg beaters.
  • Nikki3317
    Nikki3317 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Eating some scrambled eggs mixed with water instead of milk, that will cut out some of the fat content, but yet I may put a little cheese on them so maybe not. Don't eat eggs that often but love to Dr them up a little when I do.
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take boiled eggs for work 4 days a week, i dont always eat the yolk though.

Just the easiest thing to pop in my bag with no fuss tbh :)
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Took a peek at your diary and I think your egg counter might be off. 5 extra large eggs is 400 cals, and I'm pretty sure you aren't using 555 cals worth of frying oil.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have one free range omega-3 egg scrambled every morning for breakfast. I eat the whole egg, yolk and all but don't add anything to it. 70 calorie deliciousness.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every day. I buy 2 dozen every week at the grocery. I boil a dozen and always have a healthy snack on hand loaded with protein, and I usually fry or scramble up 1 or 2 for breakfast. I love eggs!!!