Anyone know any high Protein/Fat but LOW in Carbs foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, avocados (a little higher in carb, but really yummy), fish (if you're so inclined), eggs (again, not vegan but frequently vegetarian), olives (see avocado, not so yummy to me though). Quinoa is pretty high in protein for a grain.

Otherwise, protein powder! They make protein powders out of soy, hemp, rice, pea, etc. All vegetarian (but not as tasty as whey, usually).
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about carbs as much as long as they are healthy. You do need some carbs! Watch the sugar!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    fage greek yogurt..with some hemp seeds sprinkled in..about 36g of protein..
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    beef jerky is a superstar
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    STEAK
  • kjmommie
    kjmommie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    possibly certain vegetarian hot dogs? TVP(textured vegtable protein)? I know the veggie bacon I used to get was kind of high carb for bacon, and many veggie burgers are high-carb, too. How about sunflower seeds? Tahini? (which is crushed seasame seeds - might not be very high protein but should be low carb & you can make tasty dressings/sauces with it).

There are people who put black beans in their brownies to save carbs & add protein but I think it tastes yucky.

I think there might be a traditional bread made from pepitas (pumpkin seeds) in Mexican foods, and the East Indians make their samosa crusts with a pastry made from ground chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

And yeah, all the nuts; walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, pine nuts (pesto - also used in deserts with almond), macademias. I bet macademias, pineapple & coconut would make some great deserts or fruit-salad mix-ins.

Have you tried smoked almonds? They sell them in cans at grocery stores & drug stores. They're addictive; I've never thought of using them in recipes but why not? Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have great prices on nuts & their nuts are very fresh.

Do you eat eggs? Some desserts use egg rather than flour, such as baked custard, and some flourless chocolate cakes.

THE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES TASTE YUMMY!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THEM!!!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm another vote for cottage cheese. I like mine with pineapple. I could probably eat my body weight in 1 sitting.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Avocados YUUUUUM
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I read your post and many of the responses. I think you are SOL on much of any other choices. Are you sure you want to be low carb? How low are you going with it?

If you are strict vegetarian, your choices are going to be quite limited, nuts, avocado, nut butters, tofu, edamame, soy products. There are other healthy veggies that also contain good amounts of protein (although incomplete). Eat a good amount of veggies, and your carb counts will still be fairly low, while getting some fiber and some vitamin/nutrients.

Good luck!
  • peacefulninja
    Options
    Mona Vie protein shake is crazy high in protein. By the way I don't sell it and I hate buying it. I am appalled by the prices! But I got some for free and when I ran out I thought I'd just buy some Slim Fast but when I compared the protein content, the Mona Vie had 18 grams and the Slim Fast had - I think - 3 grams for the same size scoop. So when I get the chance I'll buy the Mona Vie again. I don't believe the hype about acai berries being the elixir of youth or anything. I just like how filling it is.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm not vegetarian but do like suggestions for protein and low carbs.
    Love cottage cheese and avocados!
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I read your post and many of the responses. I think you are SOL on much of any other choices. Are you sure you want to be low carb? How low are you going with it?

If you are strict vegetarian, your choices are going to be quite limited, nuts, avocado, nut butters, tofu, edamame, soy products. There are other healthy veggies that also contain good amounts of protein (although incomplete). Eat a good amount of veggies, and your carb counts will still be fairly low, while getting some fiber and some vitamin/nutrients.

Good luck!

I agree which is why I asked the same question about low carbs. I feel a variety would be much healthier! Combine grains, good carbs, & protein. Watch the carbs at night!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    salmon, other cold water fish. high protein and the good kind of fat.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Deviled eggs.