42 best ways to lose stomach fat

Options
124»

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    If spot reducing is a myth, why do we do crunches? Isn't it to.. tighten and reduce the area in question WHILE maintaining a healthy deficit? Just wondering...

No idea why you do crunches, I don't do them. For the most part, the crunch is a useless exercise.

And no, exercising a body part has nothing to do with reducing fat for that body part, it's about increasing the strength of that body part.

I definately know that you cannot spot reduce. but I have an honest question .....why is a crunch useless? Woudn't it help in strengthening your abs/core? Especially if you are not only doing crunches but doing a bunch of other core/ab exercises?

BTW, I do not do a huge amount of 'ab' exercise as I try to ensure I use my core as much as possible when strength training by, for example, doing weights on a bosu etc. I am just asking so that I understand why throwing in the odd set of crunches may not be an effective use of my time.
    Crunches without using weight is a waste of time. Hold a 10-25 lb plate behind your head while doing your crunches on your excerise ball and once you can do 10 reps in a set increase the weight. Many people dont do crunches because they strengthen their core by doing sqauts, deadlifts and pull ups etc.

THANK YOU.
    That is exactly what I was going to post.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I'd be curious to see if anyone here as an educated, professional opinion. It's confusing to hear everyone's PERSONAL opinions. I say - do what works for YOU. Everyone is different.

Well in my PROFESSIONAL opinion.. A lot of people are wrong. They are especially wrong when they think they are different.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    WOW !! thanks for the information....all these years , i was thinking i have to do all of these crunches everyday to get a smaller stomach...this is really making sense...
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this article and would definitely want to share it with you all. Happy reading. its a bit long :smile:
    http://allwomenstalk.com/12-best-ways-to-lose-stomach-fat/

These articles are written to sell magazines. (I used to be in the biz). The writers generally have no background in science, medicine or math. They can write tight and and sell magazines tho. The only ways to loose belly fat are:
    1.Decrease calories. 2.Bulk up elsewhere with weight lifting thus causing your body to use the fat as you build muscle--this is a slow process unless you couple it with diet and a lot of cardio. 3. A combination of the two.

Ab exercises only work in that they burn calories. However, they do build up your ab muscles underneath that layer of fat and a good ab routine will make you look ripped and thiner once you burn off that fat.
  • regina2063
    Options
    all of those weights.....sounds like a lot !!! to a BEGINNER....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    doing weights on a bosu
    really? no. don't do weights on a bosu.
    don't be this guy.
    Squat_Death.jpg
    they don't show you the next step, where he falls off and breaks his ankle.

Errrrrr - this is NOT a bosu - its a stability ball
    yes, which is essentially the same as a bosu. it's a double bosu. the point still stands. don't do it. you will hurt yourself and your core is not going to get much stronger than just doing compound lifts on a stable, flat surface.

NO - a bosu has a flat bottom which is way more stable than a ball. Also, I would never lift that heavy on a ball or a bosu in any event.

heavy?
    Heavy?!
    that is a 45lb bar with two 45 plates... for a total of only 135. a guy his size should be squatting atleast 170... and if he wasnt a total noob, he should be close to 200lb 5x5 sets.

That pic is just a perfect example of how some trainers are retarded, and people will do anything you tell them to do.

I assumed there was more plates based on his expression.....I gave the guy behind him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was not his trainer - if he is, thats worrying that he would let the guy do it - and that they guy actually did it!! I was not arguing at all that this was not a totally stupid thing to do on a stability ball
  • regina2063
    Options
    IS IT OK TO GET JILLIAN MICHAELS 6WK 6 AB VIDEO?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If spot reducing is a myth, why do we do crunches? Isn't it to.. tighten and reduce the area in question WHILE maintaining a healthy deficit? Just wondering...

No idea why you do crunches, I don't do them. For the most part, the crunch is a useless exercise.

And no, exercising a body part has nothing to do with reducing fat for that body part, it's about increasing the strength of that body part.

I definately know that you cannot spot reduce. but I have an honest question .....why is a crunch useless? Woudn't it help in strengthening your abs/core? Especially if you are not only doing crunches but doing a bunch of other core/ab exercises?

BTW, I do not do a huge amount of 'ab' exercise as I try to ensure I use my core as much as possible when strength training by, for example, doing weights on a bosu etc. I am just asking so that I understand why throwing in the odd set of crunches may not be an effective use of my time.
    Crunches without using weight is a waste of time. Hold a 10-25 lb plate behind your head while doing your crunches on your excerise ball and once you can do 10 reps in a set increase the weight. Many people dont do crunches because they strengthen their core by doing sqauts, deadlifts and pull ups etc.

THANK YOU.
    That is exactly what I was going to post.

I was doing crunches with weights - but I may re-think some of my strength exercises based on some of the input recieved.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love the "MOST LIKED" section on the right column on that page:

* 42 Best Ways to Lose Stomach Fat Fast ...
    * 65 Fast Ways to Lose Weight ...
    * 50 Best Chocolate Deserts - Your Ultimate Chocolate
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    42 ways to say: Eat Right and Exercise
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I was more asking....why? Not challenging your answer at all - honestly wanting to understand the logic - that way I can apply to other exercises/training. I assume it has something to do with the fact that they do not engage as many muscles as other exercises such a the ones you mentioned - but could be wrong.
    They only work a small set of muscles. They cause you to flex the back which is bad for your back. If you do them wrong (and most people do) not only do you risk hurting your back, but they aren't even working the small set of muscles they can work enough to make it worth the time to do them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I was more asking....why? Not challenging your answer at all - honestly wanting to understand the logic - that way I can apply to other exercises/training. I assume it has something to do with the fact that they do not engage as many muscles as other exercises such a the ones you mentioned - but could be wrong.
    They only work a small set of muscles. They cause you to flex the back which is bad for your back. If you do them wrong (and most people do) not only do you risk hurting your back, but they aren't even working the small set of muscles they can work enough to make it worth the time to do them.

Thank you - and well done on your progress!
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    doing weights on a bosu
    really? no. don't do weights on a bosu.
    don't be this guy.
    Squat_Death.jpg
    they don't show you the next step, where he falls off and breaks his ankle.

Wow...just...Wow! The stupid things people will try.

This man is 2 seconds away from SNAP CITY!!!!!!