1250 calories?

Options

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older (62) and have more to lose. My doctor & nutritionist set my calories/day at 1200. Which is what MFP set my goal at. Been doing this 3 weeks (on site just 1 day) and I'm doing fine. I'm also doing 3 meals and 2 snacks. My body is different than your's and everyone else's. I need to do what is right for me to be healthy, control my type 2 diabetes and get fit. IMO.

i'm not sure what the recommendations are for older individuals but i'm sure your dr has a reason for you to do 1200 (i always try to find out why my dr wants me to do something because i have to know why!). i know older people tend to have lower metabolisms also. i find this to be a good guide for me: www.fat2fitradio.com/tools
    find out body fat % and then look at calorie intake using the BMR estimator. it is pretty much right on for most of us but i'm not sure how it calculates for older individuals. good luck!
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    gleechick609 you are killing me. your posts are hilarious.
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

I don't think that's the reason. It basically comes down to the overconsumption of calories and macros with no activity to balance it out (calorie surplus instead of a deficit). I eat 1800-2500+ calories per day and lose every single week. There are others on this site who eat well above 2000+ calories and lose as well.

Having been on the 1200 calorie kick for a month or two when I first joined MFP, this practice made me gain weight and left me irritable. I also found out that every time someone eats at 1200 calories, an innocent kitten dies! So I upped my calories right away after a "meet-cute" with Helloitsdan on the forums. Please, don't kill the kittens! Raise your calories, eat above BMR and save the kittens!! :)

cute-kittens-in-cups-pics.jpg

Aren't they cute?? :smile:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly low, and not sustainable. You'd be unsatiated and end up falling off the wagon. Re-adjust it, quickly!!

I've been doing 1200 for almost 2 months now. If you want to lose weight, it's fine and if you eat the right foods you will be fine. It's about willpower.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    omg i didn't think this would stir up such a debate .. i agree what works for one person may not work for another .. I decided to up my calories this week to 1800 seeing as I am working out alot .. what do you know .. stepped on the scale and down two pounds. Not sure if this is because of the increased calories or what but i'm happy :)

That is brilliant - well done.
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do what you fel comfortable with. What works for some may not work for others. I see some that keep around 1200 and lose, I see some that eat under 1200 and lose, and I see some that eat more than 1200 and lose. Everyone is different. I was always hungry and cranky and tired on 1200 calories. I upped mine to 1400 and it seems to be working. Good luck with whatever you decide. Remember...Do what works for YOU!!!!!!
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don’t think 1250 calories is bad. My goal is 1200 cal. I have only been doing this for five days. I have been cutting back on the unhealthy snacking and cutting my portions down because I am a BIG eater...I don’t eat often but when I do eat, I eat a lot! Of course I have my spells when I get hungry but that's when I eat one of my 100 cal snacks, fruits or veggies instead of a bag of potato chips. But for the most part I feel like I can still eat, now there are other diets like the HCG diet that tells you to only consume 500 calories a day! So I don’t believe what we're doing is too bad.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I don’t think 1250 calories is bad. My goal is 1200 cal. I have only been doing this for five days. I have been cutting back on the unhealthy snacking and cutting my portions down because I am a BIG eater...I don’t eat often but when I do eat, I eat a lot! Of course I have my spells when I get hungry but that's when I eat one of my 100 cal snacks, fruits or veggies instead of a bag of potato chips. But for the most part I feel like I can still eat, now there are other diets like the HCG diet that tells you to only consume 500 calories a day! So I don’t believe what we're doing is too bad.

i didn't think it was bad at the time either. in fact, it was great! i lost lots of weight!! then after a few months i realized my body fat percentage was still pretty high and my lean mass was low and dropping. i had burned some of my muscle... oh no... that's when i made the decision to eat more. 1200 "worked" for me for a long while because i lost weight... but in the end i ended up losing muscle as well as fat and was completely unaware that this was happening. by saying i don't think it's a good idea, i am just trying to let people know what can happen with this from mine as well as others' experiences. if you don't mind losing muscle along with fat then 1200 is for you. however, a lot of people who once ate 1200 are on here months later saying that they have not lost as many inches as they hoped for, but they have lost weight, they still have high body fat, etc.
    for me, i knew it wasn't right because other people who weighed more than i did but were the same height were in smaller sizes. that meant i was losing muscle and keeping fat... not good. i wanted a smaller body, tighter waist, etc. so i did some research on here and figured out what to do.
    there is a way to fix it. eat more. work out with weights. i'm trying to reverse mine right now. i wish when i first started losing weight that i would have eaten at least 1500 calories. i bet i would have saved some of my muscle mass. there's no question that 1200 "works"... it's just a question of what you want to lose
  • Mely1268
    Mely1268 Posts: 21
    Options
    This is the amount mfp has calculated I should eat .. I am 170 lb 5'6" 36 yrs old female .. this seems like too few calories

I am 5'6'' and I am at around 190 right now. I have the same amount of calories. At first it seems like a small amount of food. I am still getting used to it and go over more than I should. Its all in how you space your meals and what you eat. Even taking a short walk suring the day gives you some extra calories to eat.

Try to get as close to your goal as possible for right now while you get used to dropping your meal size. Soon enough you won't be able to eat as much as you did before. It takes time and determination.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4", 145-150lb, 36 year old female who works in a fast paced job where I am on my feet (I work 4 days a week). I workout at the gym 1-2 days a week for 60 mins. I jog (trying to get back to running after a back injury) and I do some weight lifting. I can easily lose weight while consuming 2100-2200 NET calories a day and I can easily maintain while consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day.

It all depends on your activity level.

Do you know your BMR? How about your TDEE?
  • watboy
    Options
    woooo! congrats! keep
    omg i didn't think this would stir up such a debate .. i agree what works for one person may not work for another .. I decided to up my calories this week to 1800 seeing as I am working out alot .. what do you know .. stepped on the scale and down two pounds. Not sure if this is because of the increased calories or what but i'm happy :)
  • watboy
    Options
    woooo! congrats! keep it
  • watboy
    Options
    woooo! congrats! keep it up
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Im set at 1200 and losing weight steadily .... I cook from scratch, never eat processed, I have to add nuts and seeds (high call foods) to make sure I even reach 1200 each day ...

I am 5ft 6, 168lbs and 39 .... I also exercise every day (in some form or another) ... if Im hungry Ill eat back some exercise cals (which is rarely) but if Im not hungry I don't....

some ppl with say this is the wrong way to do this but it works for me :)

find out what works for you ... if you find 1200 it too little drop the number of lbs you want to lose per week and your cal allowance will go up....
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly low, and not sustainable. You'd be unsatiated and end up falling off the wagon. Re-adjust it, quickly!!
    Whether it is sustainable is up to the individual. My allowance is less than that and I have no trouble eating enough to stay full and not fall off anything. I even eat four squares of chocolate every single evening. I exercise and eat back the calories used there, too... If you eat natural foods instead of processed or restaurant foods you can eat more for less. (Perhaps not in regards to money or time, but definitely in regards to calories).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Know what the funny part about this all Watboy, I actually never criticize anyone for being on 1200 calories but yet you give us all crap for being rude to those on 1200 and you attacked my first two post without reason. It's amazing how hypocritical you really are.

I understand people say this or that works for them and they are all special and have different circumstances and if you want to believe that then great. I understand there are allergies and genetics but rarely have I seen them cause huge swings. Yes as you age, your body has a slower metabolism because you lose muscle as you age. Muscle directly effects your metabolism. I personally don't care if people want to do 1200 calories, but when they come on the board and say, I am doing 1200 calories and I am not losing weight, I am going to give them the best understanding through research and experience to why it's not working. Additionally, I want people to understand what they are doing by eating below their metabolic rate and what can happen to their lean muscle mass. I am dealing with several people now that got to their weight goal, have loose and flabby skin and now want to build muscle to eliminate it because 1200 calories didn't help. The OP want to know if 1250 calories was OK with a Beach Body workout program. A company that has had immense success with in home workouts. And guess what all of the people who have success have in common with these programs? That's right, they are all eating 1800+ calories. If you don't believe me, go look on their forums. Like I said before, I know from experience about low calories and these products. And the best part, the OP just posted she is eating more and already started losing weight.

The thing is, yes 1200 calories works but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? Or do you want to have the ability to eat 2000+ calories and not gain weight?
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Currently my calories are set at 1,200 and there are plenty of days where I don't come close to that and I'm still satiated and satisfied because I'm eating healthy foods.

This argument kills me. What do you think I'm eating 1800 cal of? It's not fast food or crap like Shakeology. I eat close to 2000cal of clean food everyday, which includes lots of vegetables, lean meat, complex carbs, healthy fats, dairy, and fruit. You have trained your metabolism to run slower, which is why you feel "satisfied". Just remember this thread when you start to plateau or when you realize you have very little or no strength at all.
  • watboy
    Options
    I like this post very balanced and very informative this is what we should all be doing rather than picking on people. You're post was in agreement with someone who was very very negative. But this post like I said is very balanced. I don't think it's fair however to compare anorexia a serious ED to people who eat 1200 calories. Also I never said 1200 is the thing to do. I just know people on it who have had great success, lowered cholesterol aleviated asthma symptoms due to their smaller size ,their Dr.s have done physicals and blood pressure is tons better and they continue to keep their weight off and are healthier. I don't like blanket statements like "it's not sustainble! it wont work" and so on. I find comments like that very unhelpful and very judgemental. Plenty of people posted on this particular thread that this is working for them and they are plenty happy. I lost 58 lbs without MFP and I don't use it for calories at all. The fact it keeps track of calories is a plus I use it for fat and carbs and protein. I've had people tell me what I'm doing is not sustaianable as well and well it is. So for all of you who have had continued success keep it up.

Know what the funny part about this all Watboy, I actually never criticize anyone for being on 1200 calories but yet you give us all crap for being rude to those on 1200 and you attacked my first two post without reason. It's amazing how hypocritical you really are.

I understand people say this or that works for them and they are all special and have different circumstances and if you want to believe that then great. I understand there are allergies and genetics but rarely have I seen them cause huge swings. Yes as you age, your body has a slower metabolism because you lose muscle as you age. Muscle directly effects your metabolism. I personally don't care if people want to do 1200 calories, but when they come on the board and say, I am doing 1200 calories and I am not losing weight, I am going to give them the best understanding through research and experience to why it's not working. Additionally, I want people to understand what they are doing by eating below their metabolic rate and what can happen to their lean muscle mass. I am dealing with several people now that got to their weight goal, have loose and flabby skin and now want to build muscle to eliminate it because 1200 calories didn't help. The OP want to know if 1250 calories was OK with a Beach Body workout program. A company that has had immense success with in home workouts. And guess what all of the people who have success have in common with these programs? That's right, they are all eating 1800+ calories. If you don't believe me, go look on their forums. Like I said before, I know from experience about low calories and these products. And the best part, the OP just posted she is eating more and already started losing weight.

The thing is, yes 1200 calories works but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? Or do you want to have the ability to eat 2000+ calories and not gain weight?
  • watboy
    Options
    I love cookies I'll take it
    Watboy

You need a cookie...:ohwell:
  • MJ7910
    Options
    So i guess what this comes down to is semantics. what is your definition of a very low calorie diet "working"? if it's losing weight, sure it will "work" it also will help people who are obese get their blood pressure down, other health benefits you mentioned, etc. however, in the long term (and especially for people with not as much weight to lose) 1200 slows metabolism and does cause the body to burn more muscle than a higher calorie diet would. so in using my definition of "Works" where "works" means i lose less muscle, more fat, a 1200 calorie diet isn't going to "work" for my goals. for me, what "Works" is eating more because i preserve the lean muscle i have. again, just semantics... 1200 would "Work" if you don't care about lean mass at all and your goal is just weight loss as a whole.
    I like this post very balanced and very informative this is what we should all be doing rather than picking on people. You're post was in agreement with someone who was very very negative. But this post like I said is very balanced. I never said 1200 is the thing to do. I just know people on it who have had great success, lowered cholesterol aleviated asthma symptoms due to their smaller size ,their Dr.s have done physicals and blood pressure is tons better and they continue to keep their weight off and are healthier. I don't like blanket statements like "it's not sustainble! it wont work" and so on. I find comments like that very unhelpful and very judgemental. Plenty of people posted on this particular thread that this is working for them and they are plenty happy. I lost 58 lbs without MFP and I don't use it for calories at all. The fact it keeps track of calories is a plus I use it for fat and carbs and protein. I've had people tell me what I'm doing is not sustaianable as well and well it is. So for all of you who have had continued success keep it up.

• watboy
    Options
    I'm okay with that. The laugh was worth it.
    OMG I laughed for 5 minutes. Not sure if you were making fun of me or just being silly and giving me jesus thumbs up in agreement of my comment lol. either way did i laughbecause that was funny! oh boy here i go again lol. Just funny.

You'll never know ;)