I ate more than my allowance in one meal

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    fwiw, weigh-in this morning showed a loss of 1.4 pounds in the last week. exactly what I'm set to lose with this deficit. so the math, yet again, shows that it works.

Awesome!!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    lol. I had 2200 calories worth of food at Red Lobster the other night... Just one meal, but that was all I ate that day. XD
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    and it was awesome.

McDonald's large shamrock shake - 1,100
    Taco John' s small potato ole's -- 480
    Taco John' s new fish taco -- 280

that's a total of 1,860. that's 160 calories more than my daily allowance.

but, see, since I burned nearly 2,000 calories at the gym today, even after a large breakfast and post-workout energy bar? I've got 500-plus calories left to burn.

the point of this is just that if you put in the time, if it fits in your caloric limits, it's a-ok to indulge now and then. and what's more, you shouldn't feel bad about that at all.

(and try the tacos. really, pretty tasty.)
    [/quo

Awesome!!! I would kill for potato ole's... no Taco John's since I moved to Missouri... Good balance for you!
    I'm not a fast food addict. I'd kind of been wanting to try out the taco, though, and the shake. so I did. and it fit thanks to gym time. (yeah, I know, helluva lot of sodium. I drink water, so I'm good.)
  • mmm_e
    mmm_e Posts: 10
    Options
    fwiw, weigh-in this morning showed a loss of 1.4 pounds in the last week. exactly what I'm set to lose with this deficit. so the math, yet again, shows that it works.

math rocks! :drinker: <--- those are 2 large shamrock shakes... let's celebrate! :laugh:
    Congrats on the loss!
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow, I love fish tacos...thanks. I'll have to try them!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I hate blowing my allowance in one meal!

I also prefer to feed my body whole, healthy, minimally processed foods.

But....

I also love me a good "bad food" splurge especially if it's been earned in exercise. :drinker:

Hats off OP, for going about this in a sustainable way that works for you!
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! The fact that you allow yourself to "indulge" on occassion is how I have made this time around a new healthier life style as opposed to a diet and comletely restricting myself.

I am a nurse and I tell my patients that I am a realist, telling a diabetic to NEVER have sugar again they will tell me to leave and not come back, but knowing an special event is coming up and "saving extra calories" or being healthier before/after the party will help keep them stable.

I am now taking my own advice and not being so hard on myself if I have a "cheat" day, just push myself a little harder the days before/during/after to make up for it. It definitally feels good to be "bad" on occasion!

Keep up the great work!!!
    And the new saying in my family is to: Treat Yo Self!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am happy to have read your topic today. I worked out at the gym today and burned 500 calories. I usually don't ever order lunch from our cafeteria (because I am a penny pincher) But, today they had an employee special. Chicken alfredo with breadstick and ice cream. I decided to go with it. Treat myself. Normally I would eat the ice cream in the same sitting. This time I am going to save the ice cream (ice cream snickers by the way) for another day. For a day I am craving chocolate. I thought I would feel guilty after eating my chicken alfredo......But, I didn't. Yes, I may feel fatter right now. But, I do not feel guilty. I know that I can treat myself every now and then. And the best part of it all, the chicken alfredo fit into my food calorie diary. I will even be going to bed with extra calories left over :)
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    McDonald's large shamrock shake - 1,100
    Taco John' s small potato ole's -- 480
    Taco John' s new fish taco -- 280

Taco John's? Really? wow- am so jealous- the ONLY thing I liked about living in Nebraska- I miss it so much! YUMMMYYYYY
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think there are just too many of us who would collapse if we burned 2000 calories exercising that some of us just can't believe it. :smile: I believe that HE can do it even if *I* can't. And to him, I say WAY TO GO - AWESOME- WOO HOO! and all the rest.
  • siloparek
    siloparek Posts: 10
    Options
    Doubt if they want, but it's totally possible to burn that many calories on an excellent gym day!

The difference between how I go to the gym and how some people go to the gym is that I'm not taking my time on a treadmill, talking on my cell phone walking around the track, or reading a magazine and half-way using a bike machine.

Go hard or go home at the gym. I do cardio and boxing at the very least, and that's an easy (well, not really) 1000 or so calories in about an hour and a half.

I use a combination of online estimator from various sources, my really cheap watch, and publish algorithms to guesstimate how many calories I burn. (For fun, you guys should track how much you lose during a typical sexual encounter...)
  • simple82
    simple82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say me too, just yesterday, but my excuse was that it was the Nowruz (New Years celebration) here! You however didn't do so bad ;)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Taco Johns MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I WANT SOME TOO
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    SHAMROCK SHAKE!

Totally worth blowing calories!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    life moves pretty fast .. if you don't stop and have a shake once in a while you could miss it.

Yup.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I do this too. I either plan ahead and do an extra workout to get a treat, or if I do a treat and go over my calories I will do an extra workout at night. I have managed to fit in several Shamrock shakes and I continue to lose, just check the ticker.

I REFUSE to give up anything that might be considered unhealthy. I have tried the depravation route and that ends up with me eating a gallon of Bryers in one sitting. MODERATION is key.

The OP said he does not make a habit of this. Neither do I, but last week I hit a goal and went out and had a Big Mac meal and a shamrock shake. I did not die, my wirht loss continued, do all is good in the world.

Food/Health Nazi's just need to live thier lives and not try to force it on anyone else or condem anyone who is not following thier ideals.

"Can't we all just get along?"
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    life moves pretty fast .. if you don't stop and have a shake once in a while you could miss it.
    I love this! lol
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You obviously planned this and put a lot of forethought into it.

Sometimes I miss fast food (but I get really sick eating it) so I am totally jealous of what you accomplished here.

I'll have to plan my treats around other things, I guess.

:)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Excellent job on the weight loss, the calorie burning, the exercise AND the ability to stop and enjoy a treat once in a while. Well done! :flowerforyou:

For the naysayers who can't "believe" he burned that many calories, who cares? One day wouldn't invalidate his entire weight loss journey. Even IF he was off on his calorie count for his exercise for the day, it's ONE DAY. He's NOT here complaining and asking for help on why he's not losing weight--he's simply sharing an enjoyable experience with us. You may think he's wrong for eating less nutritious foods, but again...why do you care? Relax and worry about yourselves, k?
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I'm not the only one who believes that you CAN still have a wonderful tasty food every now and again! I am totally a "live to eat" versus a "eat to live person" and I think I always will be! I LOVE all the changes and swaps I've added to my life to make things much healthier for my fiance and I, but we still get pizza every Friday night.. and I have had two Shamrock shakes this year already! gasp!! If I didn't allow myself these things I would. go. crazy! :) So, I agree with you! I've lost almost 16# in 2012 and 47 since I started MFP.. It's taken hard work but I DO NOT look back and regret anything. So, for that I'm thankful.
    As for your burns.. that's totally reasonable. I burn anywhere from 500-1500 calories during one of my workouts. I use a HRM and I have a body bugg so I know it's accurate. Sounds like you're doing well. Way to go!