Are bodybuilders vain?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    You have to have a level of vanity because the point is to look better than your competition. But many competitors attitudes of vanity depend on how they view themselves compared to average people. If they were ridiculed as a child about their body (whether skinny or fat) then make a transformation, they could be taking out a lot of vented up anger on those who used to ridicule them.
    IMO, if your attitude is that you're superior to everyone else around you in physique, then it's beyond vanity and edging on narcissism. If you feel good about how you look and want to keep getting better, then it's just normal vanity.
    And vanity doesn't just apply to bodybuilders and figure, fitness, bikini competitors. There are people who are vain who spend money on clothing, plastic surgery, cars, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I was that "skinny-fat" dork before making the decision to compete and it has done WONDERS to my confidence and self esteem, not to mention my health and body. Now I put forth more of an effort in my decisions, whether about food or work outs, training, etc. I had ZERO self esteem before, even right before and now I feel right by my body and not because others tell me so, but because I feel that way about myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You have to have a level of vanity because the point is to look better than your competition. But many competitors attitudes of vanity depend on how they view themselves compared to average people. If they were ridiculed as a child about their body (whether skinny or fat) then make a transformation, they could be taking out a lot of vented up anger on those who used to ridicule them.
    IMO, if your attitude is that you're superior to everyone else around you in physique, then it's beyond vanity and edging on narcissism. If you feel good about how you look and want to keep getting better, then it's just normal vanity.
    And vanity doesn't just apply to bodybuilders and figure, fitness, bikini competitors. There are people who are vain who spend money on clothing, plastic surgery, cars, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

I was that "skinny-fat" dork before making the decision to compete and it has done WONDERS to my confidence and self esteem, not to mention my health and body. Now I put forth more of an effort in my decisions, whether about food or work outs, training, etc. I had ZERO self esteem before, even right before and now I feel right by my body and not because others tell me so, but because I feel that way about myself.
    Which is why I think that health and fitness is such a great career for me. I enjoy watching people going through transformation and really "finding themselves" and being the person they really want to be!

IDEA Fitness member
    Options
    Which is why I think that health and fitness is such a great career for me. I enjoy watching people going through transformation and really "finding themselves" and being the person they really want to be!

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

Agreed. I want to help inspire, motivate and encourage others to be healthy at whatever level they desire, not push my ways on them or put them down for any thoughts they may have.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i agree with another poster who said

Aren't we all..

at some point or another we all probably were vain, be it a moment or a while longer.
    either way, we're human - no one is perfect..

I respect people who compete in bodybuilding as it takes dedication and disclipine. It's amazing that people can do that.

That is all
    :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Vain? Aren't we all?

That said I know a handful of bb'ers that step on stage. No one knows more about every single thing they do or put in their bodies as bb'ers do. They may look like meatheads but they're very knowledgeable and meticulous.

Totally agree with you. The knowledge that these competitors have about their bodies is 10x greater than the knowledge I have. A friend of mine regularly competes and I'm always asking him for tips and advice when it comes to nutrition and strength training.

And I'm probably 20x more vain than any body builder I know haha
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    They are no more or less vain than anyone else...vainty depends one ones self perception and self worth. I know WAY more "non-body builders" who are way more inflated than the body builders I know.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Vain I think we all are Vain about something. Just like anyone they train hard to get where they are at. We all train hard for something we want we set goals and go for it. Sometimes we go overboard.

At one point and time I did think yes they are very much so vain but now that I train and work out 7 days a week I get it. Some people might think I am vain for training like I do 7 days a week nonstop fitting in a work out here or there.But you know what it makes me feel better I am not here to impress I am here to enjoy life.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I don't think so at all. Bodybuilding like you said, takes alot of discipline that alot of people these days do not posess. For someone to actually accomplish this and feel great about it. Hell yea. Show it off. As far as bing Vain? It's not vain to be proud of something you have accomplished.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Someone must have seen my earlier post, today, where I said body builders were vain. When a person takes time to admire themselves in a mirror... THAT'S VANITY! I don't care how hard you work to get there, the motivation is vanity (so you, and others, can admire you). As I said in the other post, you don't have to build muscles to be in good shape and healthy.

Edit: van·i·ty/ˈvanətē/
    Noun:

Excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If it's not intended to get people bashing then why not ask "What do you think of bodybuilders?" instead of "Are bodybuilders vain?" The question seems worded to cause bashing. This seems confirmed by the "no bashing" admonition.

Fact is, there has yet to be any such bashing, just a conversation back and forth about people's opinions (which is what the op was looking for at any rate, right). You, actually, are the only person I've seen post on here with an opinion that doesn't actually address the question as to whether or not you think that bodybuilders are vain.

Given that the OP says she competes, there is no way she intended the thread to be about bashing body builders.
    Options
    Someone must have seen my earlier post, today, where I said body builders were vain. When a person takes time to admire themselves in a mirror... THAT'S VANITY! I don't care how hard you work to get there, the motivation is vanity (so you, and others, can admire you). As I said in the other post, you don't have to build muscles to be in good shape and healthy.

Noun:

I did and I just wanted to see others opinions on the subject. I think its a good topic.

ETA: I guess I have to change my "no" to a yes, though I don't think its excessive admiration for myself, but I do take more pride these days than before, but I still do not think its a bad thing, unless said person acts holier than though or tries to push their lifestyle onto others...
  • delilah47
    Options
    This is just a question to see how others feel about it, so please play nicely. Opinions are welcome, so long as they are not bashing anyone else's opinions or each other....

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?

my response - no. Why not? Because it takes someone with a great amount of restraint, discipline, dedication, determination, willpower, motivation, etc. to even consider getting into this sport.

I'm sorry, but this post is worded to encourage bashing, regardless of the "play nicely" admonition.

If someone is asking for opinions such as "do you think bodybuilders are vain?", they are asking for individual opinions. If a person has a negative opinion of bodybuilders, it shouldn't be taken as bashing.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Noun:

What I think is the funnies part of this statement is that I spend less time now looking in the mirror than I did before. I don't compete, but I do build. Bodybuilding has given me the self-confidence to not obsess with what I see in the mirror and to know that I'm pushing myself so whatever is looking back at me is the best that I can do, where as before I would sit and stare and obsess about my cellulite on my *kitten*, and the inches I could pinch here or there, or looking at my reflection as I walked to make sure that I wasn't in fact falling apart at the seams. Now I only look in the mirror long enough to a) check my form while lifting to make sure I don't hurt myself, b) apply my (gasp) make-up in the (oh-my) vanity, or c) make sure that I can still wear this outfit while bulking because when you put on some weight you end up with unslightly camel toe and if you push it for way too long a little moose knuckle.
    I suppose I’m with puffy when I admit that there is some vanity in wanting to look a certain way, but for me I have to have a goal. I’m a competitor at heart, starting sports at 4. Without a competitive goal I don’t see a purpose in doing something. Every time I run I do it for fun, but also to beat the time I ran last time, and then I enter races to see how I stack up. I want to compete because every time I go into the weight room I want something to strive for (other than the ability to open a jar without banging it on the counter first), this one happens to be esthetics, and my competitive nature is curious as to how I stack up. I’m actually particularly shy and terrible at being in front of people (at least I used to be more so than I am now that I teach group fit classes). I had to do a speech in 8th grade for my friend running for class treasurer, I shook so bad that I couldn’t finish my speech. Even considering getting in front of people to be judged for anything is huge at overcoming this fear.
    I guess I never saw it as being anymore vain than anyone else training for a sport or setting a goal that would be both physically challenging and challenging to who you are as a person in general.
    Options
    I suppose I’m with puffy when I admit that there is some vanity in wanting to look a certain way, but for me I have to have a goal. I’m a competitor at heart, starting sports at 4. Without a competitive goal I don’t see a purpose in doing something. Every time I run I do it for fun, but also to beat the time I ran last time, and then I enter races to see how I stack up. I want to compete because every time I go into the weight room I want something to strive for (other than the ability to open a jar without banging it on the counter first), this one happens to be esthetics, and my competitive nature is curious as to how I stack up. I’m actually particularly shy and terrible at being in front of people (at least I used to be more so than I am now that I teach group fit classes). I had to do a speech in 8th grade for my friend running for class treasurer, I shook so bad that I couldn’t finish my speech. Even considering getting in front of people to be judged for anything is huge at overcoming this fear.
    I guess I never saw it as being anymore vain than anyone else training for a sport or setting a goal that would be both physically challenging and challenging to who you are as a person in general.

I am actually HORRIDLY shy with some EXTREMELY terrifying stage fright. I found that competing actually HELPS that a little. Also the same reason in high school I forced myself to be on the Debate team and ColorGuard - to fight my stage fright...
  • delilah47
    Options

Noun:

What I think is the funnies part of this statement is that I spend less time now looking in the mirror than I did before. I don't compete, but I do build. Bodybuilding has given me the self-confidence to not obsess with what I see in the mirror and to know that I'm pushing myself so whatever is looking back at me is the best that I can do, where as before I would sit and stare and obsess about my cellulite on my *kitten*, and the inches I could pinch here or there, or looking at my reflection as I walked to make sure that I wasn't in fact falling apart at the seams. Now I only look in the mirror long enough to a) check my form while lifting to make sure I don't hurt myself, b) apply my (gasp) make-up in the (oh-my) vanity, or c) make sure that I can still wear this outfit while bulking because when you put on some weight you end up with unslightly camel toe and if you push it for way too long a little moose knuckle.

I suppose I should have qualified my statement with "most" bodybuilders. There is no 100% when it comes to individuals. And.. if any of us looked in the mirror and hated what we see, it would be closer to self-loathing than anything else. A person shouldn't have negative feelings when looking in the mirror. I still think my original statement is 99% true. Maybe you are in the 1%, or just not willing to admit you're vain. And, there's nothing wrong with being vain unless you are inflicting your (perceived) superiority on others.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder what would motivate you to ask this question? Give me a list of qualities that ALL......tennis players.....vegans.......basketball players.......bankers......engineers.......etc. share. Go ahead. This is like asking if I think all left handed people prefer Coke over Pepsi......I guess I just can't understand the reasoning that brought you to ask this question.
    Options
    I have to wonder what would motivate you to ask this question? Give me a list of qualities that ALL......tennis players.....vegans.......basketball players.......bankers......engineers.......etc. share. Go ahead. This is like asking if I think all left handed people prefer Coke over Pepsi......I guess I just can't understand the reasoning that brought you to ask this question.

See above for the answer. :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Noun:

I suppose I should have qualified my statement with "most" bodybuilders. There is no 100% when it comes to individuals. And.. if any of us looked in the mirror and hated what we see, it would be closer to self-loathing than anything else. A person shouldn't have negative feelings when looking in the mirror. I still think my original statement is 99% true. Maybe you are in the 1%, or just not willing to admit you're vain. And, there's nothing wrong with being vain unless you are inflicting your (perceived) superiority on others.

Like I said, I admit I have some vanity (otherwise I wouldn't wear make up and I'd run around in a potato sack and I would have been content living out my days as modertely active and moderately healthy). I, like most people, get up every day and put on my peacock feathers (make-up, do the hair, fret about what clothes to wear . . . although most days I don't have time to do my hair and hope the curl in it can salvage it at somepoint and many days like yesterday I forget to put on make up at all). My attitude toward others has significantly mellowed over the past year, I think it's a mixture of becoming more comfortable with my own figure, and having my nose rearranged a few times on here with serious (and necessary) wake up calls (one actually offered up by my dear puffyheart herself). I never thought I was a judgy person, I realize now that I was negative toward myself and projected that as judgement on others. The only thing I'm that way about now are the things on here that have been posted 10 times per day every day . . . understanding that it's necessary information, I still roll my eyes on some days and say "oh, I got the answer to this" on others. Generally I'm a "sink or swim, we're all in this boat together" kind of girl now. but, is this more about projecting your pride at your accomplishments on others as superiority, or vanity in the sense that you want your outside to look as good as your inside feels? I'll take the later and kick the former in the cootch.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the Trolls!!!

So, do you think bodybuilding from bikini to fitness to figure to physique to bodybuilding is vain? And, why or why not?
    Bry, It's a good question.

I don't think it's vain, but it could become vain. There is a huge confidence boost when anyone achieves a goal, and facing your peers to determine if you have reached that goal or not takes a large amount of courage too.

Understanding that everyone who gets up on that stage puts allot of preparation and training into it, and applauding them for it whether they are the overall winner or not is why I'm a huge fan of bikini, figure, fitness, and body.

And the body paint is cool too. It is a necessity, definitely not a vanity, to have darkened or "tan" skin on stage. (When will we be allowed to do full colors and body paint art instead of only skin tones? jaja.) Seriously, though, body paint is key for the judges to see the muscle bellies and body definition on stage. It evens out skin tones, hides imperfections like stretch marks and scars. Most stages do not have gels in the lights, so the white lights will wash out the competitors with glare and no tone.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder what would motivate you to ask this question? Give me a list of qualities that ALL..........I guess I just can't understand the reasoning that brought you to ask this question.

I'd like to answer you question with this statement:

consider that most all athletes only train one side of their body, or one type of body shaping style:
    In bikini, fitness, figure, and body
    the participants have a specific body shaping goal to achieve in their sport's respective disciplines that will be "judged" by peers:

symmetry of both sides of the body,
    development of the muscles,
    proportion of the body areas,
    definition of the muscle groups,
    grace in movement,
    posture and poise,
    style...

To ask if it is vain to train to see if one can accomplish these sport specific goals is not a bad thing. It's a rhetorical question that Bry the OP has used to open the minds and eyes of people like you who may not yet be a fan of this sport.