Replies

• jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I must be sick --- I thouroughly enjoy getting drenched in sweat and working my butt off to get a 5 mile run in when its 90 degrees!!! I LOVE it!!!

If you are sick, so am I. I absolutely love running when it's HOT!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Even at 90 if the suns not directly shining, it helps....evening or morning. I did 7 miles in 90+ last night.

I carry G3 with me and sip it throughout my run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless it's the weekend, I start work too early to run in the morning.
    So my runs are in the evenings, before dark. Hydrate all day, & take water with you. Generally I run trails or shaded roads in the summer, just blocking the sun makes a difference and you don't have the extra heat from the pavement baking all day.
    I'm another one who doesn't mind the heat, you just have to understand you are probably gonna be a bit slower in it.
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a runner too. Last summer, I would go out for runs before 7am before the heat was too extreme. I also run with a hydration belt and drink lots before and after a run to prevent dehydration. Tread mills are an option too and since I have a 2 and 6yo I often go to the gym as they have built in childcare. Good luck and hopefully you can keep up your running as I love it as well! :smile:
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem running in the heat when we lived in Los Angeles as long as I had water with me. Now that we live in NE Ohio I definitely feel the difference....perhaps it is related to the humidity or the fact that I'm allergic to the trees and grass out here.

When the temps climb I run for cover, literally, by heading into the woods for a trail run. We are fortunate in this area to have very well maintained trails in our parks with good tree cover (SHADE!) and often a river, stream or pond to run by which seems to drop the temp even more....or it distracts me just enough to make it feel that way.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I love running in the morning...it's cooler and I can go through the day knowing I've already got my fun in!
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Appropriate topic for me right now - just finished running for 40 minutes. I would definitely suggest drinking 16 oz about 1/2 hour before you run. I got to the point where I wasn't sweating any more - NOT GOOD! When I got back and downed a bottle of water I actually started sweating again. Moral of the story - you've got to drink more. Plus, if you can find a shaded trail to run - much nicer than running in the direct sun. Wear a mesh shirt, or a breathable one - cotton is not the best.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running in the heat most days...just stay really hydrated...make sure you have some sodium in your diet to keep electrolytes balanced etc. Look for shady routes. I still hit a treadmill on a really hot day if I need to but if I have a long run planned I wake up early...not too early as I hate super early morning runs...I do them but don't get the high I get later in the day...but there is a forest preserve near us in which running through the forest is a few degrees cooler and shaded the whole time...I carry water etc...in the super heat you also need to pay attention to your body...light headness...stop...weak...stop....tummy troubles or bad headache...stop...cell phone is not a bad idea to have with you on really hot days just incase.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Even at 90 if the suns not directly shining, it helps....evening or morning. I did 7 miles in 90+ last night.

I carry G3 with me and sip it throughout my run.
    I meant g2.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have a screw loose and much prefer the heat over any other running condition. Hydration should be done through out the day. If you wait till "go time" it's too late. I also recomend a sports drink, especailly the G2.

I prefer mornings, but enjoy dusk runs too. Almost all of my running is done in the dark or twilight regardless of the season. Daylight is for bike riding, golfing, and swimming.

Now, as soon as my ankle heals up I'll be getting out there an soaking everything I'm wearing.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump