Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• mickyjd
    mickyjd Posts: 97
    Options
    Anyone?

Sorry, I was busy doing some curls. :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    First time ive heard of it being bad...... but ... cardio cardio cardio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Cardio!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio as well as weights, doing both is best!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Love a good mix here...cardio and strength make a nice fit/lean body! :)
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.

But I don't know why all the cardio hate.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my only right now. Weights will come later. For me, Cardio is the best way for me to lose weight. I was fittest when I was jogging 6 miles every day or so. Weight might be good at keeping it off when I get to my goal, but Cardio will be King until then
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio and will never give it up. I will do strength 1 - 2x per week but I'm all about cardio!

Amen.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    hey i do cardio every day and i love it!!!

also , if the person finds something working for that person, then its great!......FOR THAT PERSON!
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    I will never give cardio up. The feeling I get from running is just WAY too good!
    Idc what people say about lifting-carido rocks :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio is bad. But I do think that if you had to choose between a strength training session and a cardio session (30 minutes) I would choose the strength training because it is reshaping my body, while cardio is not. In addition to my 3 times a week strength sessions, I walk on the treadmill or outside for about 2 miles another 3 days a week. I do that so I can increase my daily calorie allowance, not because I think it is going to shed the pounds.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Awesome, just awesome.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Because many people believe that what they're doing, especially if it's working for them, is the best/only way to do it.
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it

This is definitely something I've seen on the posts about cardio "skinny fat" I don't even know what that is, is it just a body that doesn't have muscles all over it?

From my understanding, "Skinny fat" is someone who is a healthy weight with a high body fat percentage. For example: I weigh 135, with a BMI or 24.2 so I am a healthy weight. However, because my body fat percentage is 37.8, I am "obese" and therefore the "dreaded" skinny fat. It makes me laugh every time I say it.

Thanks, this makes sense. I think I'm skinny fat too :-) my BMI is 24.4 but I've no idea what my body fat % is.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The big reason is that for weight loss you can create a caloric deficit from diet alone (no need for cardio) but to retain lean muscle mass while in a deficit you must partake in strength training.

Cardio is great for heart health, endurance, etc. But for weight loss all it does is allow you to eat more while having the same caloric deficit. And if you do a lot of cardio and don't eat enough, you will end up losing a lot of lean muscle along with fat.
  • myquite
    myquite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day. Some days are not as strenuous as others, but still every day.
  • DeanDMac
    DeanDMac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oops - won't let me delete.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Just a thought, but... are you really telling me I'm not gaining muscle from doing cardio? My sore muscles must have been misinformed.
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    I've been running for almost 2 years, and i am NOT skinny/fat! Lol. That's the weirdest thing iv'e heard. if you eat right and do cardio you will lose fat and keep your muscles.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not with me.

I was in the best shape of my life when I could run 6 minute miles and could squat 300 lbs. I run 5 times a week minimum and I do stronglifts 5X5 for my strength training.

running 5 times a week and doing squats 3 times a week? How do your legs handle it?

I always felt like my legs needed at least a day of rest before doing squats again so had a hard time incorporating cardio. Especially when in the latter stages of the program where youre squatting pretty heavy.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    exercise is basically movement.. I can think of no healthier or inexpensive way than walking...fast , slow,hills...it's all there for a lean figure and a healthy heart