Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• jnels
    jnels Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like so many others on MFP was set to eat 1200 calories, but after reading all the above post I'm wondering if I need to up my daily calories too. But, my ? is.....what do I eat to increase those calories? Yeah, I could fill those extra calories w/crap food but then I'm afraid I'd gain back what I've worked hard to loose? Can anyone give me ideas on ways to eat more w/o eating "bad" calories? :smooched:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    Who is this hellitsdan the op speaks of :tongue: I think I need to eat more too, I don't eat my exercise cals, but the thought of eating more is freaking me out a bit, it's so hard to get my head around it.
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Good morning! I just had to post about the sucess I have had with eating a higher calorie diet!

I started here at MFP the 1st of January and was given the 1200 calorie plan most of us get set up with. I exercised 4 times a week and at the end of the month, I had gained 3#! Sooo discouraged!

I read through the forums, looking for clues. Looking for hope. I read a few peoples posts about eating enough to lose weight and I thought they had lost their minds. I mean, you have to starve to lose weight right? Even at 1200 calories, I was only netting about 800-900 because I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. In my mind, I figured the weight ought to be falling off of me! How wrong I was!!

I contacted hellitsdan and had him run my numbers to see what was up. He immediately set me up with the minimum of 1800 calories and said my TDEE was 2250. No way! I cried most of the night. It seemed so absurd to think that if I wasn't losing wieght at 800-1000 calories a day, that I would at 1800. Thankfully, I listened and was a good student!

Today marks my 1 month of eating this higher calorie diet and I won't ever go back! As of today, I have lost 4.4#, 6" off various measurements, most off my hips and thighs, and my BF% went from 28% to 24.6%!! Just think what next month may hold!

Anyone who is struggling with a VLCD and isn't finding sucess, please up your calories. You'll have more energy to work out and you won't be hungry!

Good luck to all of you on your weightloss and fitness journeys!

Kathy

my sister reminded me when i lost weight on another plan, we were eating 1600. i have raised my over the last month and it is starting to come dosn. thanks great job.

what is hellitsdan ?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I like so many others on MFP was set to eat 1200 calories, but after reading all the above post I'm wondering if I need to up my daily calories too. But, my ? is.....what do I eat to increase those calories? Yeah, I could fill those extra calories w/crap food but then I'm afraid I'd gain back what I've worked hard to loose? Can anyone give me ideas on ways to eat more w/o eating "bad" calories? :smooched:

Please feel free to take a gander at my food diary. I do have some exceptions last weekend when I was traveling and eating at my brother in laws restaurant, but as a general rule, my diet is pretty darn healthy.

I could not wrap my head around eating more to weigh less but I did it on a dare several weeks ago and started losing at a more rapid pace. I am not .6 lbs away from my goal and at 43 years old, trust me, those last 5 lbs are the hardest to lose.

Glad to see this thread. :)
  • Dawnnan
    Dawnnan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kdlampe
    kdlampe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MireyaDNL
    MireyaDNL Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenkinsdeb
    Options
    thanks fro the advice xox
  • ahoesing
    ahoesing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my calories too, except now I seem to be hungry all of the time! Is this normal? Does it mean my metabolism is speeding up?

I started this early last week and I'm hungry all the time too. Every 2 to 3 hours I feel like I'm starving. I've also started lifting weights and cutting back on cardio so that could be a factor.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I just realized I had been doing this thing all wrong. When it said my goal was 1200 calories per day I thought it meant to eat 1200 calories per day but actually should be "netting" 1200 calories per day.... If I only eat 1200 and workout and burn 500 calories I was "netting" 700 calories per day... starvation mode.... I am now looking at eating my 1200 plus all workout calories. Here is to more food!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Started p90x last Friday and their recommendation for me, based on my height/weight/activity level, was around 2500 per day. They are already figuring in what you'll burn, the same way MFP gives you 'extra' calories after logging a workout. So, i manually set my MFP calorie goal to 1800 and eat back some exercise calories. I'm 5'2 and currently 154lbs.

I'VE HAD A LOSS EVERY DAY THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe i waited so long, but i too was afraid! No more starving myself!! Check out my diary if interested for the past few days and see all the food i've eaten and still lost!!
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Great thread!

(Saving this to my topics to finish reading later... On page 11.)
  • pjkalk
    pjkalk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options
    That is awesome! I wonder if he would run my numbers for me? I have no idea if I should up mine and what I should up them to. But I know things aren't working well. I don't always eat great, but I'm not usually terrible either.

I am wondering the same thing. I have tried to ask some questions on the board, but it all goes so fast, I don't think my post gets seen.

You can figure out your own TDEE... just try googling for a TDEE calculator. Worst case scenario, you can at least find your BMR here on MFP under the "TOOLS" tab. Try eating at least your BMR + all your exercise calories.

TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options
    Good morning! I just had to post about the sucess I have had with eating a higher calorie diet!

I started here at MFP the 1st of January and was given the 1200 calorie plan most of us get set up with. I exercised 4 times a week and at the end of the month, I had gained 3#! Sooo discouraged!

I read through the forums, looking for clues. Looking for hope. I read a few peoples posts about eating enough to lose weight and I thought they had lost their minds. I mean, you have to starve to lose weight right? Even at 1200 calories, I was only netting about 800-900 because I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. In my mind, I figured the weight ought to be falling off of me! How wrong I was!!

I contacted hellitsdan and had him run my numbers to see what was up. He immediately set me up with the minimum of 1800 calories and said my TDEE was 2250. No way! I cried most of the night. It seemed so absurd to think that if I wasn't losing wieght at 800-1000 calories a day, that I would at 1800. Thankfully, I listened and was a good student!

Today marks my 1 month of eating this higher calorie diet and I won't ever go back! As of today, I have lost 4.4#, 6" off various measurements, most off my hips and thighs, and my BF% went from 28% to 24.6%!! Just think what next month may hold!

Anyone who is struggling with a VLCD and isn't finding sucess, please up your calories. You'll have more energy to work out and you won't be hungry!

Good luck to all of you on your weightloss and fitness journeys!

Kathy

my sister reminded me when i lost weight on another plan, we were eating 1600. i have raised my over the last month and it is starting to come dosn. thanks great job.

what is hellitsdan ?

He's an MFP member... named "helloitsdan".
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options
    bump
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options
    I just went here to find out my Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Mine was 2225. So to lose weight, I should eat no more than 1725. I eat maybe 1200-1500.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

There have been a few posts like this lately and I'm inclined to give it a go. Just remembering that I need to fill my 1725 - or 1570 as I have it set now - with good foods and not burgers, beers and cookies. Yes, some of those things are fine in moderation - but whole grains, protein, veggies and fruits are the way to go.

^^EXACTLY.... it is definitely going to matter what foods you consume to make up the difference..... you can't use this as an excuse to eat soda/chips/ice cream etc, etc......... that's how we all got here ;0)