this whole 'mens side' vs. 'womens side' of the gym

Options
kealambert
kealambert Posts: 961 Member
can we stop it please? as a guy, I have never seen a woman lifting and not been excited for them or thought anything but good thoughts (especially if they're easy on the eyes).

and dudes, if you ARE doing this, or see other dudes doing it, STOP IT. and ladies, please just trust that you're allowed to use whatever part of the gym you want; don't feel relegated to 18 hours on the elipitical because you 'feel intimidated'

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman and you feel intimidated about using the weights section, here's what you do ... go over there and ask one of the men to teach you some kind of lift, even if you don't really need help. Just play along. When you're done, thank him profusely for being such a big, strong, tremendously helpful stud. He will be strutting around like a peacock for weeks, and you will thenceforth be welcomed with open arms on the "men's side" of the gym. There's no reason this can't be fun.
  • kealambert
    Options
    If you're a woman and you feel intimidated about using the weights section, here's what you do ... go over there and ask one of the men to teach you some kind of lift, even if you don't really need help. Just play along. When you're done, thank him profusely for being such a big, strong, tremendously helpful stud. He will be strutting around like a peacock for weeks, and you will thenceforth be welcomed with open arms on the "men's side" of the gym. There's no reason this can't be fun.

I don't have a reward for you, but you're the hero of the day
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Really? Why do women feel the need to act stupid to be accepted. Sad :cry:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    i'm the only gal in the "guys" side of the gym. it's awesome.

that's actually where i met my current crush.... :love:
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    OP what was the comment you are talking about? Just want to know
  • kealambert
    Options
    OP what was the comment you are talking about? Just want to know

it's a bit of a collage of things I see around here, and a friend on here sent it in a message to me that they felt intimidated. I have seen it quite a bit, and most recently from an active thread about why women should lift
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    This is funny because it's the major reason why I'm not working with weights now. At the YMCA they had a huge section with men and women using it all the time and you had pretty good breathing room. Now I'm on campus going to the school gym and it's VERY crunched and contained where people lift free weights now. It's ALL men, football players, jocks, other 18 year olds with all their buddies and no women. So I'm really paranoid to go over in there and actually start over because now I'm back to having to use the bars only and having to relearn forms. I'm just too intimidated to get stared at and bumped into by other guys.

Don't get me wrong. It's an excellent gym all around but the weight room is this elongated section with all men in it. >_<
  • Cberg9
    Options
    oh ok thanks! I don't feel intimidated by the men in the weight room they are intimidated by ME ;) hehe
  • kealambert
    Options
    This is funny because it's the major reason why I'm not working with weights now. At the YMCA they had a huge section with men and women using it all the time and you had pretty good breathing room. Now I'm on campus going to the school gym and it's VERY crunched and contained where people lift free weights now. It's ALL men, football players, jocks, other 18 year olds with all their buddies and no women. So I'm really paranoid to go over in there and actually start over because now I'm back to having to use the bars only and having to relearn forms. I'm just too intimidated to get stared at and bumped into by other guys.

Don't get me wrong. It's an excellent gym all around but the weight room is this elongated section with all men in it. >_<

you are my audience! trust me, you will be welcomed, and it is YOUR RIGHT to use the gym for your purposes.
  • kealambert
    Options
    honestly, is your progress and your goals for your body worth putting off because of someone else? NEVER
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I lift with a guy friend, he is teaching me.....well now all of a sudden at our gym there are guys and girls working out together all over the place.......I told him he looked cool teaching a woman how to lift, now all the guys wanna look as cool hahaha
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I lift with a guy friend, he is teaching me.....well now all of a sudden at our gym there are guys and girls working out together all over the place.......I told him he looked cool teaching a woman how to lift, now all the guys wanna look as cool hahaha

After being intimated for a very long time by the "guys" side of the gym. I actually just ventured over there this past week. I just don't pay attention to them and just workout.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    someone needs to go and say this on BB.com, I took my first look on there this week and was scared off by the rampant sexism.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to admit, I do all my lifting at home. I do not feel welcome on the "mens" side and the looks I get when I even walk by are intimidating. I have yet to see one woman in the free weight area unless it is a girl friend just drooling over her man. I agree I have as much right to be there as anyone but no one told those guys that.
  • Cberg9
    Options
    I will be the first to admit, I do all my lifting at home. I do not feel welcome on the "mens" side and the looks I get when I even walk by are intimidating. I have yet to see one woman in the free weight area unless it is a girl friend just drooling over her man. I agree I have as much right to be there as anyone but no one told those guys that.

Just buck at them and give them the stank eye ;)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Exactly why I go to a women only gym, that has an awesome free weight area with lots of everything!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    unless it is a girl friend just drooling over her man.

I have to laugh because I see this in my gym at times and I'm just thinking "really, can you please do that at home!?!?". And half the time they are also staring at the women lifting because they appear to assume that because I'm lifting, I want their man. How 'bout no.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    When it's all 20-somethings, I avoid the area. Older men just seem to be more helpful and less critical.
  • kealambert
    Options

you can be the one to take a stand!

I know this is all easier said than done, but trust me, even as a guy, i was 350 pounds for the first time I ever went to lift weights, and I was so confused and felt so dumb, but I had to tell myself that my worth was more important than letting what i THOUGHT was going on in other peoples' minds stop me.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Guys in that area are being territorial with other guys not just women. It's similar to surfing in alot of places, if you're not a regular and experienced they get weird if you get near them.

I think the best thing is to ignore them, t's not like they're social beacons. If you're willing to, sweet talking them works pretty well. I will say women that really know what they're doing and are somewhat accomplished get the same deference as men. Likewise men on their cellphones or who aren't experienced get the same intimidation.

I really don't think it has to do with male or female as it does experience and accomplishment.