Replies

• msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    What is DTEE?
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you for posting this.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    will somebody check my calculations for me? i just can't believe i am supposed to eat so much.

female, age 22, 5'9", 176 lbs, moderately active
    goal = 155 lbs

i got 2,540 for my BMR. i can't imagine losing weight eating that much since i've had so much success eating at net ~1400 for the past three months (lost 25 lbs). wtf? i have hit a little bit of a plateau, but i increased my net calories to ~1600, should i really increase it more?
  • Suzanne77598
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is DTEE?
    It's TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or the number of calories you burn in a day just living & breathing.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have upped my calories to support my strength training but it is still hard to see them so high when MFP tells me I need 1490 to maintain and I going over all the time-1800 on rest days and 2000 on workout days. It's only been a week though!
  • giddybutterfly
    Options
    bump
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • klafrancis
    klafrancis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this is my problem...started eating more the other day. The way you put it makes total sense! Weeee, more food for meee!
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options
    thanks Amy :)

the more I read the more complicated weight loss seems :huh:
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump-gotta read this thoroughly later K!
  • wljtool110
    Options
    Does this include shorties? I'm 4'-10" and love food.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I was so back and forth on my weight with 1200 calories plus I was always tired. I upped my calories this past week to 1400. We'll see if this works :-)
  • JodiHop
    JodiHop Posts: 25
    Options
    How do I save this thread?
  • alanrup
    alanrup Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started on here so no results to speak of yet. However as far as this discussion is concerned it is the truth. Why? The answer is metabolism. If you starve yourself, you will not burn more fat because your metabolism will slow way down trying to conserve calories. Your body knows it needs like 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day just to keep you alive. When you're taking in more calories (good calories) your metabolism increases because your body is no longer in conservation mode and you will lose pounds faster because your body is "willing" to feed off its fat stores if it is being properly fueled. The goal is to create a calorie deficit but not to the point of tricking your body into believing you are starving. 3 healthy meals and up to 4 healthy snacks per day will keep your body in constant supply of fuel while still allowing it to burn off fat stores for weight loss. If you starve yourself your body will literally store EVERY calorie it can spare to fat and in that situation you can actually gain weight.

Truth be told I find it very difficult when eating healthy to eat enough food in a day to meet my caloric needs. With my workout program and my recommended daily intake of calories I'm well into the 3,000 + calories per day category. Half the time I simply cannot eat that much food and I have to start looking into shakes and other healthy sorts of things just to be able to keep my caloric intake high enough. On heavy workout days I find myself falling over 1,000 calories short of goal and I've eaten all day long.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...Need to read this whole thing later for sure... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I believe you just so hard to break those old "diet thinking" patterns. Thanks for the reminder.
  • rodneysmom98
    rodneysmom98 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • alanrup
    alanrup Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a somewhat active person by nature. My daily caloric goal is 2,815 and then take into consideration on my big days at the gym when I do cardio and weight training I burn about 1,200 calories just at the gym! So if I take in 3,000 calories on that day I still have a calorie deficit of roughly 1,000 calories just for that one day alone! So even though I took in 3,000 I still burned off around 1,000 because that is what I was short of my body actually using. I don't care if you never get out of bed all day long your body is still going to use 2,000 calories per day just to lay in bed. That is what people aren't accounting for. Your body just for keeping your heart going, breathing, keeping your other organs functioning and so forth is using about 2 calories per minute on average. Do the math.

I have some friends that are just huge like the Hulk and they take in upwards near 4,500 calories on a heavy day of lifting and they have like 3% to 5% body fat...
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    "I contacted hellitsdan and had him run my numbers to see what was up."

Could someone let me know how to do this please?