How do you feel about Diet Soda?

Options

Replies

• ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind diet ginger ale too much, but I don't really like to drink too much of it (a couple of times a month at most, usually less). I prefer sparkling water with some fresh fruits tossed in. :)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My motto.... go hard or go home. If I'm going to consume calcium-leaching phosphoric acid, I might as well get all the sugar to go with it :laugh:

I only drink water and unsweetened green tea 95% of the time. I will drink mega green juice or an iced tea when I'm out sometimes.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I drink it sometimes. I think its probably bad for me. But being alive is bad for me...every minute I live, I am increasing my chances of dying. Its certainly a crutch. But I think the occasional diet soda is not worse for me than the pound of sugar they dump in regular soda. So I try not to drink either. But when I want one, I drink the diet soda to save myself the calories.

I'm not perfect. The world isn't' perfect. The food i eat isn't perfect. I try to eat whole foods. But sometimes, I want something sub-optimal. And as long as its not every day, I have it.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of diet coke a day. As well as plenty of water. I can't have full fat coke as the sugar makes me have mouth ulsers as i dont drink sugary drinks.

A lot of people are confused about diet coke.

There are a lot of myths about diet coke:

- That is causes spikes in blood sugar - WRONG - it can't do as there is no sugar in it - it is an artificial sweetner that fakes the sweet taste - no glucose.
    - That it causes weight gain - WRONG - there are zero calories in diet coke. The only far fetched link any articles makes between obesity and diet coke is the suggestion that because it makes you taste a sweet taste, you will go onto having chocolates etc, or that because you have opted for a diet coke, you are fooled into thinking youve saved loads of cals and then eat an extra large big mac. I think you've gotta be pretty stupid if you do either of those things. I treat diet coke as my sweet treat to sooth my sweet tooth- i dont then go onto have chocolate and biscuits.
    - That it rots your teeth - WRONG - only sugar can rot your teeth - real sugar. DIet coke is carbonated water, colouring and sweetners. Yeah ok its not nutritional and healthy but its not the end of the world

The only true health concern surrounding diet coke, as with all sweetners that you'll find in chewing gum, splenda sugar, diet food products, is that it is linked to cancer - and the aspartame is linked to brain disease. However this hasnt been proved and many many things are linked to cancer, as a lot of articles base their 'science ' on "Oh Johnny has cancer... Johnny ate bread... BREAD CAUSES CANCER!"

_- Also, dont be fooled into thinking it hydrates you and that you can replace water with diet coke -YOU CANT!
  • fannypacks
    Options
    true dat!:smile:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I feel that diet soda is bad for me because it tastes like *kitten*. That, and it doesn't go well with Jack.

Would you call that drink a "Jack *kitten*?"
    sorry, somebody had to say it...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I feel that diet soda is bad for me because it tastes like *kitten*. That, and it doesn't go well with Jack.

x2^ couldnt have said it any better.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I "heard" diet soda is bad (thru reading over the years)
    1. takes calcium from your bones
    2. the sweetness actually makes you crave more sweetness

HOWEVER

I LOVE DIET COKE AND I STILL DRINK IT
    I do not like the splenda diet coke-yuck
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I feel that the right kind tastes good. and it fills me up so I'm not as hungry. also, no calories. and I'm not scared by the chemicals-in-food police. so I drink it.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Useless substance. Has no nutritional value or benefit. The caffeine dehydrates the body, causing more thirst. I will stick with water, almond milk, protein shakes. But do whatever you want. Whatever works for you.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I only drink it if I have to belch LOL ya now if you get an air pocket that wont come out other than that I only drink water and wine and i've been known to hit the Vodka (my weakness) which I am trying to control oh I forgot Im a big coffee drinker too :)

:drinker: ginandtonic ginandtonic ginandtonic....
  • yoli_bee
    yoli_bee Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm not that into soda, but I have a diet cherry coke about once every few months, they're pretty good. I was going to buy one today but decided to get a diet sprite instead--they're awesome! Tastes just like regular sprite. I wouldn't make it a habit of drinking diet soda daily because they're still very high in sugar.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Doesn't go well with rum either

Or Tequila... Plus it tastes like *kitten*.
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just don't like soda in general because the carbonation bloats me. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it, although I tend to just ignore what the news says about it.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Aspartame has documented side effects for many (not all) people. Some people can drink it without a problem, and others (like me) have problems. I used to be a religious Diet Pepsi drinker and when I read about all the problems it can cause (especially the website with the rat tumors), I gave it up cold turkey and only then did I realize what it did to me. It made me crave (and therefore eat) significantly more food, more often. I also got dizzy spells that vanished a few days after I quit. My dad gets bad kidney pain when he drinks anything with aspartame or neotame.

If you carefully listen to your body and be on the lookout for negative changes in appetite and overall health, a couple diet sodas a day is probably going to be just fine. Personally, I can have a diet soda once in a while and not have any of the problems I used to have. But, I prefer full sugar drinks so I budget in the calories for a regular Pepsi once in a while.

I guess it's just "your mileage my vary". We're all different.
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    who loves (diet) orange soda?!!

kelllll loves (diet) orange soda!
    I do, I do, I DO OOOO!!!!
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lot of experts here on *kitten* tasting. jk :-)

I had to give it up because I couldn't drink it in moderation. I used to drink 6 or 8 20oz. bottles of Diet Dr Pepper per day. It was probably either the aspartame or caffeine, but now that I'm on mostly lemon water I have far fewer headaches.

Like most everything else, it's probably fine in moderation.
  • strolltaker
    Options
    It's fine for those who enjoy it and don't suffer any ill effects, but since I'm highly allergic to the artificial sweetners in it I'm content with water, flavored with a lemon slice and someimes a cucumber slice. Having continued to read about many reasons to avoid diet soda, i.e. in "The Blood Sugar Solution" and other published research, I'm happy to treat myself a couple of times a month with a small regular soda.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    once in a WHILE i'll drink one if i feel for the fizz... but i usually stay away from alll soda. good for me, i've never really been a soda person
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Useless substance. Has no nutritional value or benefit. The caffeine dehydrates the body, causing more thirst. I will stick with water, almond milk, protein shakes. But do whatever you want. Whatever works for you.

well, no ...

everything you put into your body is broken down and used as fuel. diet soda is no different.

and then the whole dehydration thing? not so much. take this, for example, from the mayo clinic:
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

or this, from the New York Times:
    Medical experts have been saying for years that caffeine acts as a potent diuretic. Consume too many caffeinated beverages, and you end up drinking yourself into dehydration.

But research has not confirmed that notion. Most studies have found that in moderate amounts, caffeine has only mild diuretic effects — much like water.

One report, by a scientist at the University of Connecticut who reviewed 10 previous studies, appeared in June 2002 in The International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

Investigations comparing caffeine with water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume, the author wrote. “In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a caffeinated beverage resulted in 0 to 84 percent retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0 to 81 percent retention.”

Another study, in the same journal in 2005, involved scientists following 59 active adults over 11 days while controlling their caffeine intake. They were given caffeine in capsule form on some days and on other days were given a placebo. Researchers found no significant differences in levels of excreted electrolytes or urine volume.

Other recent studies have found similar results.

want more?
    In his review, “Caffeine, Body Fluid-Electrolyte Balance, and Exercise Performance,” Lawrence E. Armstrong, a professor of exercise physiology at the University of Connecticut disproves the notion that caffeinated beverages rob us of our precious fluids. By reviewing the scientific research on the subject, he concludes that although caffeine, like water, is a mild diuresis (it increases excretion of urine), moderate caffeine consumption does not produce a “fluid-electrolyte imbalance” that can affect health or exercise performance. Furthermore, we retain roughly the same amount of fluid after drinking a caffeinated beverage as we do after drinking water.

Even more encouraging for habitual coffee consumers is the finding that those with caffeine tolerance have reduced likelihood that a fluid electrolyte imbalance will occur. The more regular your caffeine habit, the more fluid your body is conditioned to retain.

Other findings support his conclusions. A small study done at the University of Nebraska tested the body weight, urine output, and blood of eighteen subjects after they consumed caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages. They determined that there was “no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males.” The Institute of Medicine expert panel on water and electrolyte intake asserts that the diuretic effects of caffeine are transient, and that coffee, tea, and colas can contribute to total water intake.