Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just told my husband this same thing, I think it will take me awhile to get used to it. Everyone is noticing. It will just take awhile to adjust :)
  • amberjean30
    amberjean30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 11lbs, but some days I look at myself in the mirror after a shower and say " who's that hott mama " and others I say " eww look at that fat cow "! So I think it just depends on what side of the bed you wake up. No matter what size we should all realize we are beautiful ppl :flowerforyou:
  • keaani34
    keaani34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes! I feel the same I am down 33 pounds and it took me almost 6 months to lose the weight, I don't see the change when I look at myself and like you am almost afraid to pick up a smaller size because I am so used to wearing bigger size it's very strange. I guess it takes a little time for the mind and body to get on the same page.
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've only lost a fourth of the weight I need to lose but that's 40 pounds and I really don't feel thinner. I know that I've dropped sizes but it's like I'm always trying to convince myself that I look the same and those sizes fit me the same. I'm definitely happier with myself but that's because I'm working towards a goal, not because I feel like I actually look different.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I saved a pair of pants in a size 16. Even though I've lost 40 lbs. and wear 8's and 10's now, I'm still sure that those 16's will be tight. A friend recently introduced me as "Significantly-less-of-Cheryl" and I almost cried. It felt like she was mocking me, even though I know she's very proud of me. My doctor said that another good reason to lose weight slowly is that it takes much longer for your head to catch up to your body.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think I'm still heavy, but I've dropped 20 lbs and I've gone from a 14 to a 10, and a L to a M. Still, when I try things on, I automatically think 'oh, it's a fluke in the sizing, sizes are never consistent.'

My mom told me yesterday that I have to realize that I'm not a heavy girl any more.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't feel fat with clothes on because i'm putting on clothes that I knew didn't fit before or that i've had to go buy so I have pants that fit, but when I'm in just my underwear or nakkid I feel like a big ole fatarse
  • deliciousappleblue
    deliciousappleblue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite problem, which is probably how I gained so much weight. I was all "I'm a skinny HPOA" as I was stuffing Doritos into my face and didn't even realize how fat I'd gotten until I ran out of pants that fit.

Now that I'm losing weight, those old pants are starting to fit again and I'm still not even noticing the changes - just yesterday I easily used the zipper and buttons to close a pair of pants that I've been safety-pinning since my heaviest days (buy bigger clothes? No.), and realized that I probably could have done away with the safety pins weeks ago. All this time I've still felt like that skinny thing from two years ago so no matter which way my *actual* weight goes, I just plain don't feel it.

I'm so oblivious to my own size, how embarrassing.
  • dlamberton
    dlamberton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At a younger age I was about 30 lbs overweight, but when I lost that weight I never really felt any different. What helped me overcome my "fat" mentality was setting physical goals for myself instead of weight goals. As soon as I was able to run for 3 miles straight I no longer saw the "fat" me in the mirror anymore.
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My mind plays games with me....when I was younger and very thin all I could see was the fat areas....then as I really got fat I did not see just how fat I had become, even my mirror lied, it was in pictures that I truly saw what I look like and even then I always thought they were a really bad camera angles...Now 80 lbs lighter I am amazed how such a big girl can fit into these small sizes....I know in time as I keep the weight off I will begin to see the real me....
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ive never felt fat ... i think that was my issue, .......... even at my biggest i felt thin :-/
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes. I still pick up sizes that are too big. Even when I don't, most of the time I feel like a beached whale.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Too funny, I know exactly what you are talking about!

I have lost a little over 60 lbs yet I still see the Pilsbury Dough Boy in the mirror!

My wife is bugging me to buy new clothes. I keep saying I do not want to buy anything new until I get to my target weight. But, the reality is I expect to wake up one morning at my old weight where I will need my clothes!

It took me months before I started to donate the clothes that were too big -- but it felt SO GOOD to shed that "psychic weight" after shedding the excess body weight. Shop the clearance sections and thrift stores to emphasize that your current size is still temporary as you work toward goal. It's cheaper, and makes it easier to donate those clothes when THEY get too big also!

To the original poster -- a resounding "YES".
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85lbs and have kept it off for over 3 years and yes I still feel fat. I still see fat. I still need to lose fat, my bmi is still higher than I want it to be. It is very upsetting!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I really haven't got my head around this thin business. I am now wearing jeans that are UK 8's and 10's instead of 16's 18's but I have this little evil voice in my head that keeps whispering "vanity sizing, vanity sizing" I feel really dumb, but I can't see myself as thin and no amount of praise from husband or mum makes me believe it any more.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm only 5 pounds away from my goal, yet I still see the same girl from 10 pounds ago. I suppose the mind can be cruel sometimes!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes the mind can be cruel. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Even though I've lost 39lbs when I look in the mirror I STILL SEE THE SAME BODY!!! I feel as those nothing as Changed even though my clothes are much looser , ppl telling me I've lost alot of weight , I'm still not satisfied I'm hoping when I reach my GW this will change
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I can totally relate! Everyone keeps telling me that I look good and "skinny" but I still feel like a huge cow! I want to feel confident again but no matter how much I lose, I still feel like I look awful. I like to blame mainstream media but I think most women are just naturally insecure about how they look...
  • jumperchick
    Options
    i always feel fat. im 5ft2.5in and about 118/120lbs and pretty fit. my bf, friends, coworkers, etc always talk about how thin i am and i just dont see it. my bf actually told me this morning that i should eat more. what ?! =/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!