Rant: MFP Forums.

Options

Replies

• katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I first started MFP in November 2010 and it was much more supportive. It is very hostile now.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I first started MFP in November 2010 and it was much more supportive. It is very hostile now.

Pretty much. I joined a year ago and even in the last 6 months or so it's become very hostile at times. Thanks OP for creating this thread, you pretty much nailed it. Probably why I don't post often on here anymore.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what you are saying. Many times when I am reading topic posts, I think in the back of mind how brave that person is because of the comments they have gotten or will get.

I also agree that people need to be more patient with posts they've seen a thousand times already as the search function really isn't that great on this site.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My sentiments exactly. I was thinking the same thing this morning. And like another poster stated, unfortunately it's not unique to MFP boards. I'm a member on another weight loss board and the same thing happens there. It's just sad.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    haters_gonna_hate.gif
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. To carry it just a bit further, I hate it when someone starts out by saying that they are new here before they ask their question, and they they are bombarded with snarky comments about how they should look for other threads that already addressed their question. Until you've been on here awhile you don't always know how to look for other posts/threads that cover what you are asking. I don't ask ANYTHING on these threads for precisely that reason. No one seems to know how to be nice to the new kids.

Totally agree. I've never bothered to even introduce myself here. People post snide and snarky remarks even on that thread!
    And I don't buy the "welcome to the internet" excuse. I've been on other internet forums (political and historical)and there are many heated discussions and debates, the overwhelming majority of participants have the good graces to be civil.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say it's gotten worse. I've been on MFP before and I don't remember it ever being this bad.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I really don't see it as that bad. :indifferent: Maybe it's because I've been picked on, bullied, ostracized, you name it, in real life so much when I was young that some words on a forum don't bother me.

The overwhelming majority of people on here are civil and helpful and really amazing. There's just... an overwhelming number of people. With a community this large, even if just 1% of the population are trolls, that's a significant number of trolls.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I try to not to post much in the forums. My advice is find some like minded friends and ask them. Everyone sees things from different angles and everyone who's angle is different feels like they're being attacked (and maybe they are). Some hate carbs, some hate paleo, some hate something else and we all hate diet pills. Again, I'd suggest finding some like minded friends and ask questions among them. Now not everyone will get this advice before they dive in and get beat up severely but I wish them the best. You have to be pretty tough skinned around here however unfortunate that may be.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I try to not to post much in the forums. My advice is find some like minded friends and ask them.

If you want support, that's a great thing to do.

If you want advice and opinions, though... like-minded friends are probably just going to tell you want you already believe to be true.

I like surrounding myself with like-minded friends, too, but I've learned the most from people who had different views from my own. :smile:
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I try to not to post much in the forums. My advice is find some like minded friends and ask them.

If you want support, that's a great thing to do.

If you want advice and opinions, though... like-minded friends are probably just going to tell you want you already believe to be true.

I like surrounding myself with like-minded friends, too, but I've learned the most from people who had different views from my own. :smile:

I've done the same. Important just saying if people can't handle critique they will have to stay among those that agree with them.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe if the OPs of topics would post their so-called opinion in a not-so-b!tchy manner people wouldn't tear them apart. A lot of people post rants, comments, and other things to try to get a fanbase of people that will agree with them 100%. If no one agrees the OP gets all upset and b!tches more.

Not saying this is everyone, but I see it a lot. Now for the people asking advice, some of them 1) don't have their dairy open publicly, 2) can't tell the difference between criticism and rude comments, 3) never really wanted advice in the first place.

Again, this is not everyone...
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have to say I agree. You can be matter of fact and you can be constructively critical but I have been seeing name calling and snarky comments that are just over the top. And I agree, I think it's gotten worse in the last few months.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, as a member of many different forums, my opinion is that people are WAY more sensitive than they used to be. Tempers flare in a hot second. Many times the OP doesn't get the tone of the responder and then it's off to the races! (Usually with other horses jumping in to run)

If someone jumps into my stuff I can choose to engage or look the other way. For the most part I look the other way and don't let what some random person on the interwebs says ruin my day or make me feel bad about myself.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have been stunned at some of the comments and responses that people make / get - I think perhaps it is because it is anonymous - would people say these things to someone's face?

There are some genuine people out there who are looking for genuine advice, but that advice should be provided in a helpful way, not in a disparaging or cruel manner.

I think the moderators should be much more vigilant - I made a comment to that effect yesterday on a huge topic that some person had started, making nasty remarks about age, with abbreviated curse words etc. Totally inappropriate - mind it was in the Chit-Chat Fun forum, maybe some people see nastiness as fun. :noway:

:flowerforyou: Let's all play nice or not post if you can't.
  • Spinach_Brigade
    Options
    As someone who has spent time in some of the Internet's fiercest and most flammable forums over the years, I can assure you that this place is nearly as positive as freakin' Smurf Village.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect 100% immunity from malicious morons, as this site - like any site with a social aspect -- has an open membership. Members are not pre-approved by a committee of top health and self-improvement experts. They don't even have to supply a credit card imprint. Any schmuck can join. And I'm willing to bet that getting kicked off MFP isn't easy -- I'm willing to bet you need to start accusing people of being Hitler or affect Tourette's Syndrome or start cyber-stalking in order to get the mods mad.

Frankly, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect 100% immunity from malicious morons anywhere in life, let alone in a quasi-policed open forum.

I do acknowledge that being shielded from the petty potty of malicious morons is a very nice thing, and when someone is in a vulnerable state it can even be even more so, but in the end it's still a luxury. And it isn't reasonable to expect luxuries from a free website.

On the other hand it's always nice to remind everyone not to be jerks, so I'm glad you posted.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Name-calling and Attacks are against forum rules, so just report those. But I notice a huuuuge grey area where it's up to the reader to decide if it's rudeness or just brutal honesty. One person's "honesty" is another person's "rude" comment. I see it over and over again in here. I try to not be overly sensitive while on the internet, and choose to let questionable things roll off my back, and just move on or I submit my own opinion, but I understand it's gonna happen at some point.

It's not the moderators job to be the nanny over every questionable comment. Half of the responses would have to be removed if we tried to define every little thing that upsets someone. Is that the kind of place you want to be in, one where YOUR honest comment may be removed because one person didn't like a word or phrase you used?

"Tone" is sometimes hard to read, and I notice A LOT of overly-sensitive people choose to read more tone into a reply than I typically would. I'm not talking about attacks and name-calling (against forum rules). Remember, you always have the "report post" option, or the option of hitting the Back button. But, unfortunately ranting about it won't change it, and the internet will NEVER be a "hugs & kisses" environment. Those simply don't exist. (No tone implied) :flowerforyou:
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For those of you making references to OPs being overly sensitive or closed minded to other's opinions, let me prove some examples of what I'm really talking about (which a lot of people seem to agree with).

OP POST: so i've been eating 900-1100 cal per day and i don't feel hungry or tired or anything. i feel great. i also do cardio for 5-6 times a week ( for about 30 minutes )
    i'm 5'5 tall,156 lbs
    i don't feel like my body needs more because i feel full all the time.
    is this wrong?
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?
    What exactly ARE you eating? Your diary is closed so you are really asking a pointless question here. If you are eating two cupcakes a day.., then yes…., it is wrong. If you are scarfing down veggies with some protein all day long, then you probably don’t have a problem. But seriously, if you are truly doing cardio that much, you would naturally be hungry. It BS to say otherwise.
    Well, you asked for advice. Whether they said it in a nice way or a mean way, almost everyone said it was a bad idea. But...you want to do it anyway, because you are happy and feel great.

Were you really asking for advice? Or unmitigated encouragement? No one here is going to encourage your way of eating.

If you're really interested in long term success, I'd encourage you to read up on long-term management of binge eating disorder.

You're young. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually. But its your choice as to how much of your life you want to spend struggling with your weight.

Another topic was about a girl wanting support in stopping her night time eating. 90% of the people jumped down her throat accusing her of starving herself and having an ED, when in fact, she just hadn't finished adding up her cals for her day. No one bothered to try to look at the other days in her diary which were just fine.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP, for sticking up for eating disordered people. I've been on this site for a month and I've been lurking the forums and I have to say posting anything is terrifying. People are terrible to eachother on here. ( and sadly, people on those so-called "pro-ana" sites are MUCH more encouraging and helpful, whether it's about eating healtheir or slowly killing yourself) Many people on these forums throw around the word "unhealthy" like it's a filthy insult. I've seen certain four letter words used with less malice.

I get this crippling insecurity that people will peek at my diary if I post anything and rip me a new one for my erratic eating habits. I'm here trying to change, people.

Isn't personal change what we're all here for?

No two people are ever going to be on exactly the same journey.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP, for sticking up for eating disordered people. I've been on this site for a month and I've been lurking the forums and I have to say posting anything is terrifying. People are terrible to eachother on here. ( and sadly, people on those so-called "pro-ana" sites are MUCH more encouraging and helpful, whether it's about eating healtheir or slowly killing yourself) Many people on these forums throw around the word "unhealthy" like it's a filthy insult. I've seen certain four letter words used with less malice.

I get this crippling insecurity that people will peek at my diary if I post anything and rip me a new one for my erratic eating habits. I'm here trying to change, people.

Isn't personal change what we're all here for?

No two people are ever going to be on exactly the same journey.

I have posted and so far, no one has been snarky or I haven't seen it LOL. I do want constructive feedback. My diary is open because I want to be accountable to my friends. They may see something that I am missing. If I choose to eat a big bag of M&M, I want to HAVE to record it for friends to see. I've been eating in the closet, so to speak, for too long. Just saying this is my reasoning, doesn't need to be your reasoning.

I learned a long time ago (can't remember from whom) that if you are "attacked" or given less than constructive feedback, really listen to what is being said, look closely in the mirror, take what you believe is about you and then "turn the mirror" back on the "giver." Many times, what is being said is more about the speaker than the listener and may teach you a great deal about them.

For me, this allows me to de-personalize the comments, listen and learn. Oh by the way, telling then what you learned about them is never a good idea, they generally don't really want to learn about themselves (IMO), they want to bring everyone around them down to their level, so they can feel better about themselves not learn about themselves and grow. If you share what you learned, do so in private and not on a thread. They may be able to hear it that way without having to defend their position. Just saying <smiles>
This discussion has been closed.