So I Got Asked How I'm Losing Weight....

Replies

• robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    You should be really proud of yourself for making the time to commit to your health. I believe it's one of the best investments to make for yourself, your family and your community. You will feel better, have more energy, have a higher quality of life, the benefits are outstanding.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    One of my MFP pals posted "If you want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    I hate when people ask how I'm losing weight and when I tell them that I watch my calorie intake and exercise, they give me this face :frown: followed by an "Oh..."

I think they're expecting it to be something like, "All I do is eat chocolate, drink lots and lots of beer, eat all the grease I can manage and sit on the couch. The weight just falls off when you watch TV!"
    LOVE THIS! Ha ha!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Agreed. In the end it's about you and your health, not the issues from the negative nellys!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    I realize now that she was looking for a quick fix, and of course, this is no quick fix.

You are so correct, it happens to me all the time, now i must say that since i have started losing weight there are many who have signed up for MFP and are on the correct path.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Amen!
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    A cousin of mines keep asking me how I'm losing weight, what am I doing to lose weight. I told her MFP and I even downloaded the app to her phone. She looked so excited about it, but haven't used it once. That was two months ago.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    People always seem a bit disappointed when they ask "What's your secret?!" I respond with diet and exercise. I think they want me to hand them a magic little pill lol.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    They have to be ready to commit.

I get asked all the time how I'm doing it. When I respond with a healthy diet and exercise, people either make a sarcastic remark or make an excuse as to why their life is "too busy." That's fine. Stay unhealthy. I've actually had people ask what kind of pill I am taking, or if I had some type of surgery. NO ONE wants to put in the hard work that this takes. There is no magic cure for obesity.
  • KrystalSlim
    KrystalSlim Posts: 48 Member
    bump!
    Yup hard work pays off
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    As my weight loss became more visibile, I get asked this a lot. I answer "eat right, exercise" they say "that's all?" and I respond, "just kidding, I use Magic!"
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    I find it easier to just say "I eat less"
    which is accurate........
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    First, good job so far. Obviously people are noticing and it's paying off.

I know a few people who spend enough time complaining about being overweight that
    could use that time to log what they eat. But they don't have time...
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    I get asked alot about how I'm doing it. I really can't go anywhere lately where someone doesn't comment on my weight loss, everyone has been very encouraging. People will sometimes say " I should but...".then what ever reason. I understand that, weren't we all there once making some kind of excuse? If not, we wouldn't be here trying to lose the weight, we never would have gained it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    One of my MFP pals posted "If you want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

One of my friends has a page title that says "You can have excuses or you can have results. You can't have both."
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Happens pretty frequently, myself included. People def do not want to hear the basic reality that if you watch what you eat and actually get off your butt you will lose weight. Yes this is a hard process, and there is no magic pill to get you to where you want to be, and because of that, the results you get will actually last much longer as compared to some random crash diet.
    Now that I'm getting closer to goal I get annoyed when people ask me if I'm still losing, and how much more I want to lose. I've learned it's best to be ambiguous about it to avoid unwanted comments in that realm as well. Keep up the good work!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    There are always going to be the ones that say what you're doing is too hard for them to do. Even though, that's not true, it just shows that they aren't ready to lose weight yet. Just remember, there are the people you've inspired and also the ones who really know all the work you've put into your body!
  • nattou
    nattou Posts: 14
    My friends also ask me but once I mention diet and exercise, they're either like:

"Oh I hate working out" and even better, "I love food too much to do that".

Excuses are excuses.

I just tell them if they manage to find a magic way to lose pounds and inches, they should notify me.
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    So great that people are noticing, right? Well, when I said MFP and logging my food (and before I could even get the word exercise out of my mouth), one of the ladies responded, "Oh, I don't have time for that. I'm too busy." The second lady agreed with her. I wanted to remind them I'm a single mom who works full time, volunteers at church, and I never seem to have five minutes for myself. But....I just let it go. Excuses are excuses....I realize now that she was looking for a quick fix, and of course, this is no quick fix.

Amen to that!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    I kind of hate that excuse, to me it's like saying "oh I'm too busy to get dressed in the morning."

Years ago when I was still in elementary my mom, who was a single mom working in the collections/credit department of the city's newspaper and had to commute every day, found time to attend weight watchers and stayed on it for a year, quitting only because the weigh-in costs were adding up. She lost just short of 100lbs and still took care of me.

I mean yeah ideally we'd all like time to be at the gym forever or take zumba/fitness classes after work and spend the weekends jogging in the park or whatever and then having the money to shop at Fresh Foods or Whole Market or farmer's markets but you don't need that time or money to get into weight loss and be successful. I mean hey, I'm an artist who spends hours at her drafting desk working on stuff and has several doctor appointments a month for several different conditions and I can end up laying in bed most of the day due to any medications or bad days with certain conditions but I manage my time at the gym, I manage to eat healthier, and I manage to lose weight.

If you're looking for a miracle then might I suggest religion, because that's pretty much the only time miracles are accepted as real.