MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Brutal 5 mile speed workout for me this morning, 95% humidity. I have made peace with poopy times for the rest of the month. My goal is to just get my workouts done.:drinker:

Today's goal:
    1 slow mile to warm up
    Run 800 meters(0.5 miles) in 4:05 (4:34:ohwell: ,5:23:frown: ,4:29:ohwell: ,4:48:grumble: )
    w/ 400 meter jogs between
    Repeat 4 times
    1 slow mile to cool down

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
    Great work out ,Kechie. Nothing to be ashamed off. There is some sort of equation that you should slow down X seconds for every degree over 75 or something like that, so in this heat and humidity, I wouldn't be disappointed with the times (except the 5:23 - did you stop for coffee:laugh: :tongue: ).

Good morning Jess - you're just an energizer bunny, aren't you!:bigsmile:

Six mile tempo run with my gazelle friend Matt (he always runs my *kitten* off). Fortunately, my battery in my GPS died at mile four, so I couldn't keep track of pace anymore:laugh: But it was about 10 minutes faster than the same run last week. (obviously Matt doesn't know the equation for slowing pace on these 85* mornings either :laugh: )
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Did a 4 mile tempo run last night. Easy first mile, speed work in intervals for 2 miles (I have no idea how fast I was going, I just ran flat out lol), then an easy 1 mile cool down. It was good but today I am super sore!

Julie, you are a brave woman! I could never get that tattoo'd on my rear LOL But I would run it just so that my friend would get the tattoo done.....

Happy Running everyone!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning runners.

I went out with the group this morning but ended up running by myself. I didn't take my ipod thinking I would have someone to run with. :grumble: The fast people were too fast and the slowbies were too slow.

Did my first full 3 miles since the end of May. It was ok - 3 miles in 35 minutes (just under a 12 min mile). I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect. I started off by running on the sidewalk but moved to the road. I could immediately feel the difference in the running surface. The road was much easier on my leg. NO pain while running and NO pain after running. Woo Hoo! :drinker: I did get a cup of ice after the run and applied it to my shin just for good measure. I also took some ibuprofen before I left for work, also for good measure. Almost 4 hours after my run and I still feel good. I think I will stay at 3 miles for a week or 2 and then try for 4. I need to work back up to my speed and distance but slowly............

I also had a friend ask me if I want to do the Princess 1/2 marathon in Disney next March. It is close enough to my 40th it sounds like it could be a good birthday present to myself. :laugh:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Kechie, I think you did great, especially when it's so hot and humid there.

It's been fairly warm here too (but nothing like last week ).

I had a speed workout this morning also:

One mile walking to the track,

One mile warm-up (11 min.)

Two sets of 4 x 400m with 90 seconds in between each 400. (My times ranged from 2:02 to 2:20)

One mile cool-down (12 min.)

One mile walking home from the track.

I'm glad I went early while it's still pretty cool. I know I'm not super speedy, but I just try to make my heart beat faster than normal and push myself as much as I can.

Have a great day everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • aolson78
    Options
    Welcome aolson, we have several marathoners here to help. Yes, it is tiring but it is SOOO worth it. Hang in there. Is it a fun one you are doing? Just curious.

I am running the Munich Marathon on Oct 11th. Would anyone like join me in Germany this fall?
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Brutal 5 mile speed workout for me this morning, 95% humidity. I have made peace with poopy times for the rest of the month. My goal is to just get my workouts done.:drinker:

Today's goal:
    1 slow mile to warm up
    Run 800 meters(0.5 miles) in 4:05 (4:34:ohwell: ,5:23:frown: ,4:29:ohwell: ,4:48:grumble: )
    w/ 400 meter jogs between
    Repeat 4 times
    1 slow mile to cool down

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
    Great work out ,Kechie. Nothing to be ashamed off. There is some sort of equation that you should slow down X seconds for every degree over 75 or something like that, so in this heat and humidity, I wouldn't be disappointed with the times (except the 5:23 - did you stop for coffee:laugh: :tongue: ).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    greetings all! i would say welcome to the newbies too, but i think i'm still in the newbie category on here, so thanks for giving me more company. it's a great place to learn (and laugh) here.

made it through 5K today, slow and steady. didn't even look at the time, to be honest; it was just good to be out there after more than 3 weeks sidelined with injury. i'm going to have to get a base built back up so i can play the speedwork game. lots of great runs going on here -- good job to the fleet of feet!
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to all! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks due to working at summer camp, painting my mother-in-law's house and somehow trying to fit in a run here and there. Let's just say, my normal schedule has been out the window!

I am still trying to re-adjust back into my old schedule, so I missed my run this morning. I did my own version of an "insanity' workout by clearing brush and loading cedar posts for 4 hours this morning. Does that count?

Yesterday I did a 5-mile run at the track while the varsity football team was practicing. Talk about motivating--I cut 2 minutes off of last week's time for the same run! I think I'll try that again tomorrow!

Jodi
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Woohooo -- just checked and my Garmin is "OUT FOR DELIVERY"! Should be waiting for me when I get home. Oh how I love new toys! I was going to take tomorrow off -- but NOW I will probably have to go out for a short test run!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Quick check in today...hoping to have time to catch up with all of you soon!
    5.75 miles today....very hot!!!
    Then off to the pool with kids and friends....no triathlons in my future! LOL!!! :laugh: :laugh:
    I hope everyone else is doing well!

Becky
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Welcome aolson, we have several marathoners here to help. Yes, it is tiring but it is SOOO worth it. Hang in there. Is it a fun one you are doing? Just curious.

I am running the Munich Marathon on Oct 11th. Would anyone like join me in Germany this fall?

Yep, that would be a fun one! I will be in Europe in September and again in late October so I have been looking at the Marathon calendar over there. Munich should be great, but.... ya know.... be careful about that whole Octoberfest thing!!.... make sure it's gatorade at those aid stations :drinker: :drinker:
  • jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Woohooo -- just checked and my Garmin is "OUT FOR DELIVERY"! Should be waiting for me when I get home. Oh how I love new toys! I was going to take tomorrow off -- but NOW I will probably have to go out for a short test run!

I'm jealous! I am saving up for one--hopefully this fall. I'm sure you mentioned it previously on a post, but I am not caught up on the last couple of weeks, so I'll ask--how are your Asics working out for you?

Jodi
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well, only 2 for me today. After over a week off yesterday's early morning run caught up to me and I did what I could today :embarassed:

Try again tomorrow for early morning so I better get to sleep now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi friends, i love hearing what you all are up to, you are doing so great!!!
    And thank you so much for checking in with me. As much as I wanted to run, I took all advice and rested today and my foot is feeling somewhat better. the pain is definitely coming from the ankle but it is not nearly as painful today. I tried the ice bucket trick (thanks Leash) and I'm taking Advil.

I am hoping that the aches and pains are just coming from my body adjusting to my last few 30+ mile weeks. Like I said, I think my biggest fear is just injuring myself to where I won't be able to run the marathon, which is a dream for me. So, hopefully I'm just being a wimp, but I'd rather ease off and be careful then run through the pain and hurt myself worse. There is no swelling and no shin pain whatsoever so I'm a little optimistic that it's nothing serious. I was feeling really defeated yesterday.

I have just fallen in love with running and it stinks not to be able to do it. Another rest day for me tomorrow and if it is feeling better, I'd like to venture out and jog Thursday, would you guys try it? I look forward to hearing all about your running tomorrow. hugs to you all!!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Did a 5 mile run today and it went really well!! I LOVE :love: this girl, Nicolette, that is an alumni of Team In Training and alot of times we run together. We have a great pace together and I seriously could run miles and miles with her by my side!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Did a 5 mile run today and it went really well!! I LOVE :love: this girl, Nicolette, that is an alumni of Team In Training and alot of times we run together. We have a great pace together and I seriously could run miles and miles with her by my side!!

Well according to your profile, you're in PA and I'm in Connecticut, so send her on her way running up here, and I figure that she'll be here in time to run with me on Monday :laugh: I need a running partner! :blushing:

WillyWonka, glad to hear your foot is feeling better. I hope that ankle pain is not in the same family as my boyfriend's ankle pain! :embarassed: Keep resting (as hard as that is!) and let us know how you're doing! :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Morning everyone! No run today. It's INSANITY for me today. I'm catching up on all your posts and listening to the weather. Oy vey!!! This weekends runs are going to be fun...NOT! High 90's with high humidity...which for you Northerners...means about 200% humidity!!! :tongue: And NO oxygen! :tongue:

Kechie ~ you are such an amazing source of information and encouragement! Thank you for always having an answer! :flowerforyou:

Jenny ~ I'm so sorry you are hurting :frown: , but I'm glad your foot is improving. I would go ahead and give it a try tomorrow...just *listen* and stop if the ankle is sore. Be careful!

Tom ~ holy smokes! :smokin: 5 minutes off your run?!?! That's terrific! I have one of those gazelle friends also. She makes me run faster than I ever think possible...I'm always completely toasted at the end, but proud of myself for keeping up with her!

Raymond ~ it's so good to have you back!:smile: Hope your daughter is doing better!

Julie ~ how is the Garmin? I'm STILL trying to figure out how to work my watch! LOL! :laugh:

Leash ~ your runs are amazing...as usual! :drinker:

Annaliza ~ look at you go! tempo runs already!!! You are rockin! :bigsmile:

Sherry ~ I'm so happy that you got your run in...pain free!!!! :happy: You are being so smart in your rehab by taking it slowly. I'm sure it must be frustrating, but hang in there!

Gustergirl~ you are so inspiring with the Team in Training! :flowerforyou:

Nich0le and Jodi ~ so awesome to have you both back! :happy:

bgood~ follow Sherry's example in injury recovery!!!:wink:

kelynn~ if I send you a running partner, could you send some cooler weather?:tongue:

Sorry if I missed anyone! This board has been hopping lately, so I'm sure I've missed some posts!
    Have a great day, everyone! I'm off to INSANITY and then taking DD to get her wisdom teeth out.:sick:

Becky
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Rest day for me. I went for a brisk walk and did some pilates.

Wishing everyone wonderful runs, walks, xtrains, and rests today
    -Kechie.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement through my rehabbing. I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

For those of you injured or just hurting take a day off and rest. I know easier said than done. Been there, done that. Now working my way back.

For those of you that have or will be getting runs in later, great job!:drinker:

No run for me today. I did yoga in the park early this morning with some bootcamp friends. I am going for a walk later in the park with a friend. It will be a doggie walking sessions. Have a great day everyone.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    Well, didn't get my run in yesterday like I'd hoped. Pure laziness on my part. It's very hard for me to run in the humidity by myself. I did however go for a bike ride. I guess it's better than nothing. I set my alarm for 4:30am today to attempt to get up early and run before work:laugh: Um, yah, that didn't work. Then I thought I'd get up at 4:45am to try to start 30 Day Shred:laugh: Again, didn't happen. I have to be at work at 6:30am and most days it's all I can do to get there on time. What was I thinking? I need to figure out how to get myself out of bed. It's not like I'm a night owl or anything. I'm usually in bed by 10. I live quite the exciting life, can't you tell? I'm sure it has a lot to do with not getting quality sleep (I wake up several times throughout the night) but it's still frustrating. Anyway, going to run today after work and hopefully start the 30 Day Shred some time tonight. Wish me luck!