How do you eat/drink your protein powder!?

Options
Hey guys! I'm about to start insanity (tomorrow) and I just bought some protein powder to help me with it. I got vanilla and cookies n cream. I tried it last night with milk and ice (all i had to use in it) and it tasted gross! I need recipes! What do you put in your protein shakes or smoothies? What foods do you put protein powder in!? Help me out guys!

Replies

• Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have found the only kind I like is Champion Nutrition brand in Chocolate. I can do it with just water and it's good. But normally I do it with 1/2 glass of skim milk, 1/2 glass of water, T peanut butter, banana. DELISH! (If you take coconut oil you can also add a T of it in there!)
    Some people add it in their oatmeal.

Good luck with the Insanity! You can do it!
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can just use water but I got this little personal 17oz blender and I like to add greek yogurt, some frozen fruit, sugar free flavored syrup (when I get bored with the normal taste) and ice if you don't have frozen fruit

One of my favorite treats would be powder, 1/2 cup yogurt, 6 oz of water, 2 tbs of strawberry sugar free syrup (it adds about 15 cals) blend together then add in 1 cup of frozen strawberries and blend well... then enjoy
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 Greek yogurt, then add either 2/3 cups frozen strawberries or 1 T. peanut butter depending on which sounds good. It's soooo good! It's like a milkshake!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use the Vanilla and I put it in my coffee instead of Milk and creamer. Warning though! Don't let it sit for too long,it clumps.
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's a little expensive but there is very little taste to it... I can put it in anything.

Inbalance - Whey Protein Isolate

From New Zealand
  • EJDM
    EJDM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate protein shake every morning with skim milk, a little bit of almond milk, 90g frozen berries. Or mix it up and add 1 banana instead of berries :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have tried different powders and some need to be covered up with other flavors. (glares at stuff I bought at wal-mart)

Blender:
    Bananas
    Peanut Butter
    Frozen fruit

Also, mix it in morning oatmeal.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have tried different powders and some need to be covered up with other flavors. (glares at stuff I bought at wal-mart)

Blender:
    Bananas
    Peanut Butter
    Frozen fruit

Also, mix it in morning oatmeal.

Wow, I'd never thought of using oatmeal. Do you use uncooked oatmeal? Do you use instant or the regular kind? How much do you usually use?

Thanks,

Aaron
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Vanilla protein powder, Frozen mango and vanilla yogurt-- enough milk to make it runny enough that it comes out of the cup- lol
  • yhateme1
    yhateme1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 of these little GE blenders 1 for home 1 for work they have the single cups that you blend and drink out of.
    heerbalife shake mix
    protein powder
    mixed frozen fruit
    ice
    every once in a while i might add a crystal light packet
    delish
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    www.dashingdish.com has amazing recipes for protein shakes, i love her frozen hot chocolate one. i have it everyday!(:
  • shanel97654
    shanel97654 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My breakfast shake:

1 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 Banana
    1 Handful of Spinach leaves
    1 scoop of Protein Powder
    10 - 12 frozen strawberries

Blend! It is awesome stuff. Hope you enjoy!

However, I do get the Young Living's Vanilla Protein Powder because I can not do the artifical sweetners that are in most of the store bought protein powders. It adds a nice taste to my shake.....
  • gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! My personal trainer wants me to get some & I just didn't quite know what to do with it!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity so I don't know what the diet restrictions are (if they have any and if you are even following them..)

But here are my protein powder choices and uses:
    1. Jay Robb's protein shakes
    2. IsoNatural pure whey protein
    3. Sometimes I use some premade protein shakes that I get at Sam's for when I'm on the go.

I'll add the IsoNatural to almond milk - vanilla or chocolate.

The Jay Robb is pretty awesome made with regular milk.

Lastly, my most recent addicition is adding 3/4 scoop of either to my morning coffee. I get my coffee and my protein all at once.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    www.dashingdish.com has amazing recipes for protein shakes, i love her frozen hot chocolate one. i have it everyday!(:

I'm seriously loving this girl's website. Thanks for sharing!

And to OP, I put mine in a shake, usually with almond milk + a yoplait light smoothie. It's quick, easy and pretty good!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump!:bigsmile:
  • methodless
    Options
    Recently, I've been putting my chocolate peanut butter in chocolate milk, it works well

Cookies and Cream + water tasted awful when I had it, I couldn't wait to finish it

I've also before mixed in small servings into plain yogurt or unflavoured protein into fruit yogurts (I usually have the 35 calorie cups with 5-10g of protein FYI)

Last night I tried it as a flour substitute to make a fish batter, need a thickening agent, but it worked! :)
  • stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I buy the chocolate protein powder from walmart, saw it had the same as the expensive stuff I was buying from Complete Nutrition. I mix the full serving in with a half cup of oats and eat for "2nd breakfast" (first being egg whites). This tastes great and adds great variety to my plain ole oatmeal!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    For a cookies and cream flavor, I'd recommend adding a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and/or PB2 OR real peanut butter (if you can afford the calories) with almond milk and throwing it in the freezer, taking it out to stir every hour until it's like soft serve and enjoy this super yummy ice cream. Sometimes I'll blend in half a frozen banana for more flavor/creamier taste and texture.

For maximum protein, I always add a Balance protein bar broken into pieces. Gives a nice chew and texture change.

(It's the only way I'm able to eat my protein powder, IMO)
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    my brother is known to just eat the powder and drink it down with water. and he is a one shredded dude for his age.

however, i wouldn't recommend this for anyone else XD sorry if it's not much help! i will say i like to add some cinnamon to my protein. seems to make it taste better regardless of the flavor. but i've only done it with vanilla, chocolate, and "cake batter". i'm too scared to try it with my strawberry