your favorite protein shake recipes?

Options
Melroxsox
Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
I have just started adding protein shakes to my diet and im keeping them low carb low sugar. looking for some trusty tasty shake recipes:) thanks guys!

Replies

• Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder, almond milk and either berries, or PB2.............
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My standard is:
    1 cup frozen berries
    1 scoop NNW vanilla protein powder
    1 banana
    6 oz coconut water

It looks high in sugar on MFP, but it's from the fruit, so I don't worry about it.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is 6oz 0% fage greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of strawberries and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder. I add a little water as well to help it blend. Yum!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I like protein powder (chocolate or vanilla), almond milk, 2 tablespoons sugar free pudding (mix only) in either chocolate or vanilla and a 1/2 cup cottage cheese with some ice. Toss in a blended and mix until smooth. Delicious!!!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    2 variations - I use EAS Lean 15 Chocolate Whey Protein Powder - 100 cals for 2 scoops.

Shake 1
    1 c. almond milk
    2 scoops EAS
    1/2 banana
    5 whole frozen strawberries
    5 ice cubes
    Blend
    (stevia if you want it sweeter)

Shake 2
    1 c. almond milk
    2 scoops EAS
    whole banana
    2 T. PB 2
    5 ice cubes
    (also stevia if you prefer sweeter)
    Blend

#2 is my fave. Tastes like a peanut butter malt from my local ice cream shop without the guilt!!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I haven't found my favourite yet but I know that I will not use oatmeal again. Usually I just throw some frozen berries, greek yogurt and protein powder into a blend with some water and that's it. Its not my favourite but its quick after a workout.

I guess its more like a smoothie, sorry.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Google "runs for cookies recipes" and check out the page. Her recipes are SOOO good...she also has a blog that is worth reading. She has quite a few protein shake/smoothie recipes that are YUMMY! She adds a little pudding mix to hers to make them taste better. I've tried just about every one on her list and love them all.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I know you said you wanted a shake recipe, but everyone needs a good dose of dessert too. One of the girls posted this a few weeks ago, and I LOVE it!

Molten Triple Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 T. Coconut oil (melted into a microwave safe bowl or tall coffee cup) this is what made the big difference in taste
    1 T. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (mix with melted coconut oil before adding anything else)
    1/2 T. Davinci's Caramel Syrup-Sugar free (you could substitute other sweeteners)
    1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder ( I used a whey protein I had on hand, I'm sure your fav would work)
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 cup Silk unsweetened almond milk

Stir until its a thick brownie type batter then add

6 hersheys sugar free semi-sweet chocolate chips (this makes it the triple) and push them down into the batter

Microwave for 35-45 seconds, careful not to let it over flow.

Turn over onto a plate and serve warm. (Remember this is a molten cake so it will be gooey but oh so good!

This was very rich so made two servings for me which came out to
    174 Cal. 14 g. protein 4 carbs 1 fiber 1sugar 10 fat (mostly from the coconut oil)
    Your numbers could be a lot different depending on the protein powder you use. The one I used was a little on the high side but it's what I had available.

***My edit to the original recipe above: I don't use the syrup, and I added 1/2 TBSP of cocoa powder. Also, I'll alternate between unsweetened coconut and unsweetened almond milk. Love this recipe!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana. It filling, tastes great, and has extra protein and potassium.
  • BingoWingo
    Options
    My current go-to is:
    8 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    one scoop protein powder (I have vanilla)
    2 tbsp PB2 (sometimes if I am feeling sassy I use 1 tbsp of plain PB2 and 1 tbsp of chocolate PB2)
    Into the Blender Bottle and give it a good shake, enjoy!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have this for breakfast almost every morning:

1/2 cup frozen berries
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup 2% milk
    1 scoop whey protein powder

It's about 280 calories, 21g carbs (not sure about the sugar value).
  • CaldwellCX
    Options
    Yea, I think it depends if you want to keep it simple or do "additives".....I keep it simple with powder and 4oz of water.....The benefit to this is that you keep the calorie count low and get a good amount of protein....Of course, the issue for most people is that many powders are not that great tasting....Especially the low sugar low carb ones....However, I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Muscle FX, and Iso 100 as the best low carb low sugar ones out there....Then you can add 1 cup of whatever fruit you like, 1/4 cup ice and blend......
  • sassyjvg
    sassyjvg Posts: 32
    Options
    My favorite protein shake is 1 scoop Gold Standard vanilla whey protein, 1Tbsp PB2 peanut butter powder, 1 Tbsp almond butter, 1/2 c. skim milk, 1/3 of a medium banana, 3/4c water 5 or 6 ice cubes and a couple small sprinkles of stevia(if you'd like). Add all to blender until smooth, Top with 1/2 Tbsp flaxseeds & 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds. Delicious!
    *Foodnote: I also alternate the almond butter with either peanut butter, and/or coconut oil. All healthy, filling, and flavorful alternatives. I have enjoyed this shake for breakfast daily for the last 2 1/2 months,.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    Lean Fit (Cdn) - Whey Isolate Protein Powder - Vanilla, 1 scoop (31.5g) 120 2 2 25 0 110
    Strawberries - Raw, 6 extra large (1-5/8" dia) 52 12 0 1 3 2
    Blueberries - Raw, 12.5 berries 10 2 0 0 0 0
    Raspberries - Raw, 10 raspberries 10 2 0 0 1 0
    Source by Yoplait - Peach Yogurt, 100 g 35 5 0 4 0 50
    Sun-Rype Fruit Plus Veggies - Mango and Pineapple Juice, 0.33 cup 40 10 0 0 0 20
    Quick Tools 267 33 2 30 4 182

This is so good. I put it in one of those Magic Bullet blenders with water to top it up and blend away. Make sure you put in the protein powder in last (or closest to the blender head) because it will stick or clump up in the glass. And the Strawberries I use are Frozen.

Sorry I couldn't get it to format in columns, It's 267 cals the way I make it.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    I've been on ViSalus Protein Shakes since 1/9/12. One shake a day, MFP to control food intake and I've lost 17.2 lbs so far. My goal was 20lbs by 4/9/12. I am dead on track. If I did two shakes a day (Meal Replacement) I would probably have lost a lot more weight by now but I am on track for this goal Challenge. This was a 90 day challenge for me. My next 90 day challenge will be for about 25 more lbs to loose. I am now increasing my walking and mild strength training.

Being a Type II diabetic on insulin mainly due to my wieght Idecided to try this. ViSalus is a Soy based Protein drink. Don't confuse a Whey protein with a Soy Protein. Do your own research. I would not want to sway anyone but my personal experinece with a Soy Based protien is so much better. My blood glucose levels have been dead on perfect!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Can I ask, What does "bump" mean? I see it all over the message boards.... :blushing:
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, What does "bump" mean? I see it all over the message boards.... :blushing:

Keeps the post at the top of the list. It also puts it into 'My topics' so you can find it to check it out later.

Right now I'm on a PB and Chocolate kick. So i'm all about a frozen banana, coconut milk(1.5cup), a scoop of chocolate protein powder and 2tbsp of PB and some ice. It makes 2 so I share it with the kids :-)

My favorite not on the PB kick is....1cup of Frozen tropical fruit mix, 1 banana, 1 c coconut milk, 1/2 c Fage(plain 0%) and 1/2 scoop vanilla powder. Makes 2 again!
  • ReadySara
    ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, so if anyone wants to mail me there too, it would be helpful :wink:
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    bump