"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options

Replies

• Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    of course "looking good" is subjective, but i couldn't imagine only doing cardio. I just love how tight and defined everything is with weights--a result I'd personally never get doing solely cardio.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    This has turned into a never ending argument. It is a subjective statement; therefore, there is no right answer.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You can do resistance cardio and build muscle. For example I was a competitive runner for years and during the racing season wouldn't lift weights because we would do sprints, hills, stairs, and other types of speed work which does help tone. Not everyone needs to look like they have muscle to look good - sometimes the lean look works.

Interval training is a bit different and will definiatley add some muscle to you.
    I do hill sprints and sled drags/pushes. But not "cardio".

The quote came from a thread that was basically weighing treadmill/elliptical sessions against weight training.
    I picked weights over the hamster wheel.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    That's probably too much of a generalization, but strength training will tighten things up a bit.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    This has turned into a never ending argument. It is a subjective statement; therefore, there is no right answer.

Gonna just agree with this so the thread dies.

Show me 1 runner that doesn't lift weights and looks good, and I'll show you 5 guys who lift weights and don't do cardio that look better.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the answer is no. I know people who have lost weight or stayed in shape by only doing cardio. Think of someone who runs a lot and doesn't visit a gym or lift weights. The still have tone and abs but tend to be lean. My personal preference is a muscular build.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i think people who do only cardio may be skinny, but they lack the muscle tone i generally find attractive. i think in order to really look good you need strength training AND cardio. just my thoughts though, but the cardio only people always look "skinny fat" to me.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight focusing almost solely on cardio. Wish I had been strength training way sooner. Lean is nice, but you need muscle. You really do. Now my calorie intake is up and I'm lifting and loving the results I'm seeing.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    We could revise it to something like

You may look ok doing only cardio but you would look much better if you were strength training as well

This!
  • slimkay1
    slimkay1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of Cardio, but I do an restistance to that cardio, by running up hills, Riding my bike up hills or on a harder resistance, hiking and climbing over rocks, kyaking. All of these exercises build muscles, which tones my body, as well as work my heart.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

You are referring only to running? Or all cardio? Not sure that I've ever seen a male swimmer and thought "gee- he needs to lift weights"...

o-push-the-limit-in-michael-phelps-.jpg

He does lift weights
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends of a few factors. For instance, looking good is depends on a personal preference. Some people are attracted to those are muscular, others don't. Therefore saying that those who only do cardio don't look good, it is a matter of personal preference.

Also, some people who only do cardio, have a certain level of muscle, so assuming that cardio only equals no muscle mass and being skinny, that is completely wrong. Now, if we're going to make reference to those extra skinny athletes who train for long distance running, then we could say they don't look good, but that's just my personal preference. For others, they my look good.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yeah for females I don't agree with this statement...I don't lift although it looks like I do from genetics and different types of cardio can give you muscle tone.

You're wrong, you look like a "do you even lift mode"

To each his own. But I guess I'm wrong along with all the people who ask me about my workout and non existent lift routine on a regular basis. And I got my body fat down to 18% this way which is pretty good for a female that doesn't aspire to be muscular.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I didnt touch cardio for 6 months now. Best thing I ever did for my body composition was to stop "pushing" myself with HIT and running,before it was 6 days working out and even twice a day and I did push hard it.
    Ended up looking pathetic (my before picture is after P90X doubles and my after picture is 1 month of gym and 4 workout days).
    Before I thought more exercise = better body but...... boy was I wrong it just burns You out quicker. First month in Gym i found out how pathetically weak I really was, even thou I could do tons of pushups and few pullups.
    I find it easier not to eat 300 calories then to run my *kitten* off for it.
    So I am sticking to gym 3-4 times a week heavy weight lifting compound exercises for 45min - 1h and its the way to go.
    This is my experience and I pity all the people "burning calories" and exercising for calories sake and not for the pure fun of those exercises.
    8080790_293.jpg
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    i think people who do only cardio may be skinny, but they lack the muscle tone i generally find attractive. i think in order to really look good you need strength training AND cardio. just my thoughts though, but the cardio only people always look "skinny fat" to me.

this x1000000
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    4 months of only-cardio got me here:
    2/23/11 - 150 lbs
    12102525_7995.jpg

1 month of heavy lifting + 1 week high protein diet/no cardio got me here:
    3/23/11 - 144.6 lbs
    12102525_7010.jpg:
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of this debate. End of story.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Show me 1 runner that doesn't lift weights and looks good, and I'll show you 5 guys who lift weights and don't do cardio that look better.
    "looks good" or "looks better" to whom? To say "no one" who does only cardio looks good is a false statement, in my opinion. I know plenty of people who only run and they look great. Perhaps the statement would be better received as, "No one who does only cardio looks as ripped and as toned as they would if they also added lifting". But there are plenty of people who look "good" by only doing cardio.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I did mostly cardio, but when I started to go back to Curves (women's gym) doing the circuit training I noticed myself starting to tone up.

My job also involves lifting and helping clients.