"No one who does only cardio looks good"

Options

Replies

• prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I saw that today too and thought about it during my hour on the treadmill today....I know I look a heck of alot better doing Cardio only than I did lifting...junk food to my mouth. I think it is personal preference and opinion..and like butts...everyone has one
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gonna just agree with this so the thread dies.

Show me 1 runner that doesn't lift weights and looks good, and I'll show you 5 guys who lift weights and don't do cardio that look better.

Sounds like you spend a lot of time looking at men bro. Good for you, everyone needs a hobby!
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's whatever a person WANTS to look like. I just had this convo this morning with a coworker. She started an intensive (100+lb) weight loss journey in March and is doing well with it by using the treadmill and taking zumba classes. It's not the first time I've suggested she try to incorporate weight training, and she's certainly seen the changes it's made in me lately. Her response was: "you can keep the definition and tone, if that's what you think looks good. I'm a soft, southern girlie girl and I think it's gross"

This^^^

And I'm 5"3 I WANT to look toned but I DON'T WANT to be 159 lbs forever, so I will first try to reach my goal than stick with lifting. I did 30ds looked great but was stuck at 159 lbs. So I stopped and did Zumba etc. Now I'm at 149 lbs. Last week I did Spinning this week I'm doing Circuit training next week Zumba. When I'm at my goal I will do weight training 4 to 6 times a week or whatever.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    4 months of only-cardio got me here:
    2/23/11 - 150 lbs
    12102525_7995.jpg

1 month of heavy lifting + 1 week high protein diet/no cardio got me here:
    3/23/11 - 144.6 lbs
    12102525_7010.jpg:
    There's a little bit of difference there but not much. Plus, you are obviously flexing your abs in the "after" and not in the "before".
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Fu** it.
    I give up.
    No one gets that it was a generalization that is correct in 98% of cases.

The person was asking which of the two if they had to choose, so I used a simple statement.
    No one has even proven that statement wrong in the 4 pages of this thread. Other than "michael phelps" who does lift weights btw.
    We can't disprove your opinion. You are entitled to it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Saw someone on MFP write this as a reply to a different topic today. This can't be true..... right?

Of course it's true. You've seen aerobic instructors, right? They are all saggy fat horrible looking hags.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I'd throw my 2 cents into the pile, but because I have close to 100lbs to lose, that means my opinions on what's attractive are 'morphed' & not valid

I'd rather be fat than arrogant anyday.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    my favourite quote:

Cardio will make you look good with your clothes on, wieght training makes you look good naked

can't remember the actual wording but thats the jist of it

xx
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

Love a person who will stand up, own it and stand by it. With that said .. it is my OPINION that women need to lift weights too.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Gonna go out on another limb here and say anyone that needs to lose more than 100 pounds probably has morphed ideas of what "definition and tone" are, and what looks "good".
    So, only fit, toned, people who lift have the "right" ideas of what definition and tone are and what looks good????? And we should start a thread of people who run only so we can see how bad they all look? Who are you, dude?
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I run 25 miles a week - give or take a few miles. BUT I need to lift in order to change my body composition. After having children, getting older and sitting in an office all day, for me, running only gets me so far. The weights is what pushes me further.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'd throw my 2 cents into the pile, but because I have close to 100lbs to lose, that means my opinions on what's attractive are 'morphed' & not valid

I'd rather be fat than arrogant anyday.
    I'd rather be friends with a fat, humble person than an arrogant fit person any day.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I would refer you to this link:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

At least go down to the pictures, see her at 117, 132, and 147. Decide for yourself what "looks best"

But I will mention that if you google the benefits of strength training, specifically for women, there is a reduction in chances for specific cancers and osteoporosis. Strength training doesn't have to involve weights, you can do body weight exercises.

Thank you for sharing this. Her story is amazing and I copied and pasted some of her ideas!!!
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I wrote it.
    And I stand by my opinion.

I've never seen a person look good who only runs. Women can probably get by with it and look decent, but men need to lift weights.

I think "good" is realitive, but I agree a little muscle definition by weight lifting certainly helps make you look better...I'm trying to add that because I do too much cardio.
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    4 months of only-cardio got me here:
    2/23/11 - 150 lbs
    12102525_7995.jpg

1 month of heavy lifting + 1 week high protein diet/no cardio got me here:
    3/23/11 - 144.6 lbs
    12102525_7010.jpg:
    There's a little bit of difference there but not much. Plus, you are obviously flexing your abs in the "after" and not in the "before".

I don't know...looks like a big difference to me...but maybe I better take another look to make sure :smile:
  • krocksa
    krocksa Posts: 32
    Options

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

At least go down to the pictures, see her at 117, 132, and 147. Decide for yourself what "looks best"

But I will mention that if you google the benefits of strength training, specifically for women, there is a reduction in chances for specific cancers and osteoporosis. Strength training doesn't have to involve weights, you can do body weight exercises.

^THIS THIS THIS^ What great pictures!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    my favourite quote:

Cardio will make you look good with your clothes on, wieght training makes you look good naked

can't remember the actual wording but thats the jist of it

xx

And it's absolutely not true for everyone.

First of all, "good" is an opinion. Second, not everyone has the same natural body composition. But mostly, it totally depends on what you do outside your "exercise". If you have an active life that requires you to use your muscles there is no need to ever do a specific strength training routine to look good with or without clothes.

If you don't use your muscles at all except when you are exercising, or you are aging (muscle tone is harder to keep as you age), then you may need some strength training to keep your muscles firm (though it still doesn't have to involve weights).
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

^THIS THIS THIS^ What great pictures!

I loved reading her story. I'm not too interested personally in getting ripped or being strong, but she made it seem so cool I might change my mind XD
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Meh. I don't think I've seen a bad looking marathon runner.

Marathon runners cross-train and work on their core to support them during long runs. :-)
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Females I can see a few arguements. I still think they look better with athletic legs that come from lifting, but to each their own. That's definitely an opinion.

My athletic legs come almost entirely from cycling, as I blew out my knee Oly lifting almost 2 years ago.